Forums

Suggestions Against the English Opening

Sort:
Dutchday
pfren schreef:

The KID against the English is a royal pain in the butt (for Black) if white opts for the Botvinnik setup. Black has absolutely no attack, and quite a few complex positional problems to solve.

1...e5 is fine, where I always opted for the ...Bb4 systems, which are just fine: very solid, and also offering winning chances to Black.

I know the Botwinnik as an interesting option, I don't know it to that extent. Luckily, after 1.c4 e5 there is no problem. The only ''trick'' is 1.Nf3 Nf6 and then 2.c4! I think incorporating e5 is awkward now, for example 2...d6 3.d4 is a real KID. In case you don't want to play that it is annoying.

On the upside, 1.Nf3 ruins your chances to play a real Botwinnik with Ne2.

However, it seems a player needs something in his reportoire other than 1.c4 e5. It's probably no issue for black players who play d4-d5 openings often. (1.Nf3 d5 2.d4) It's not so nice if you're tricked into a Queen's gambit while you don't know much about it.

TasmanianTiger

@FearItself: the 1...b6 move order annoyed me for a long time. Anyway, I have the three volume series on the English opening (Grandmaster Repetoire Volumes 3,4,and 5) and it has served me very well. It has analysis all the way up to move 15 on some lines, and move 43 on other lines. It is very well-written and is written for a grandmaster--it could last you a lifetime. Easily. I hightly recommend the book.

Anyway, the book provided some interesting insights on 1...b6. It recommends 2.e4!! This transposes into the Botvinnik System, except a prefferable version, because the bishop is on b7, and the e4 pawn blocks it in. I've never lost a game with this setup.

Arcanus_Lupus

To all interested, I made a reverse sicilian themed tournament (1. c4 e5). Seems like this would appeal to a lot of English players. Note: >1700 player rating range. http://www.chess.com/tournament/reverse-sicilian