Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The Bryntse gambit

• 22 months ago · Quote · #1

binblaster

This is only really to be played against a higher rated opponent who wants the win against you or if you are happy with a draw because your opponent can draw immidiately with Ke8 after Be6+. If black doesn't want the draw then the queen sacrifice gives white 2 pieces and a bind for compensation. Black's exposed king also helps white get a lot of active piece play.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #2

silentiarius

Interesting. Perhaps Black is a tad better after 5...e6 6.Nc3 a6 7.a4 Nc6 8.Ngxe4 Nd5!?.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #3

mattattack99

2...e6 was originally thought to be best, but now Tal's 2...d5! is the main move.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #4

mattattack99

Funnily enough, Chess.com's David Pruess has some experience here:

• 22 months ago · Quote · #6

Chess_Engine

More examples...

• 22 months ago · Quote · #7

BigGStikman

I like it a lot ... maybe i give it a try!?

• 22 months ago · Quote · #8

Chess_Engine

In "When Two Pieces Beat a Queen" at ChessCafe, IM Tim Harding presents a tour de force treatment of the Bryntse Gambit (1.e4 c5 2.f4 d5 3.Nf3!? dxe4 4.Ng5), focusing on the Queen-sac line made famous by Dana Mackenzie.

Browse http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kibitz190.pdf

Laughing

• 22 months ago · Quote · #9

mattattack99

hushpuckena wrote:
    mattattack99 wrote:

2...e6 was originally thought to be best, but now Tal's 2...d5! is the main move.

When was 2....e6 considered strongest? The only time I ever faced 2.f4 I played 2....Nc6, which was thought best so far as I knew, according to theory at the time of that game (1978), and looked logical to me.

If I am correct when I say that Tal's adoption of 2...d5 made it popular, then your comment makes sense, becuase he didn't play this until 1979:

• 22 months ago · Quote · #10

Chess_Engine

1.e4 c5 2.f4 d5

This move appeared in chessboards for the first time in Bernhard Horwitz 1-0 Henry Bird, London 1851.

Named Tal Gambit, after often played by Latvian grandmaster Mikhail Tal.

Bent Larsen 1/2-1/2 Mikhail Tal, Amsterdam Interzonal 1964

William Hartston 1/2-1/2 Mikhail Tal, Tallinin 1979

It is one of the recommended counters to the direct Grand Prix Attack.

If white accepts the gambit with 3.exd5, black's response is 3...Nf6, threatening the d5 pawn and gaining time in development.

If white chooses to decline the gambit, it is usually done by 3.e5. While white has a large space advantage now, it is still considered to be a favorable position for black. The response 3...e6 resembles and can transpose into a line of the French Defense which is favorable for black.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #11

mattattack99

Although Tal's game played in 1964 did not have the Tal Gambit in its purest form.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #12

binblaster

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 22 months ago · Quote · #13

binblaster

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 16 months ago · Quote · #14

BigGStikman

Finally I managed to get the Bryntse Gambit on the chessboard!

Here is my game, enjoy!

Up to the next game.

Post your reply: