Forums

the London system the dreaded knight

Sort:
chessarran8

chessarran8

how can you counter this black knight it is very strong and is a promblem to me when playing the london system can someone help me?

Likhit1
chessarran8 wrote:

how can you counter this black knight it is very strong and is a promblem to me when playing the london system can someone help me?

First of all,I wouldn't reccomend this boring opening,If you still wanna play it,then I'd suggest just play Nbd2,and plant ur own Knight on e5

chessarran8

boring is wrong i enjoy the owning but thank you you may be right but what opening would you recommend

chessarran8

the opening sorry

*owning*

-BEES-

Nothing wrong with the london. It's played at all levels and White can guarantee a playable midgame from it against much stronger players. Additionally, many people are used to responding to Queen's Gambit but not to sideline d4 openings, so they'll be off their strong lines. There is utility in doing that. Haters gonna hate. Just stick with what you like.

chessarran8

agreed

blake78613

I see nothing to fear from the knight.  Black is behind in development having moved his knight twice to get to an unstable square.  There is no outpost at e4 since White can eventually play f3 to oust the knight.  Just play Nbd2 and bide your time.  

AndyClifton

Serves you right for playing such a boring opening.

chessarran8

its a brillant opening 

chessarran8

ok good idea blake

APawnCanDream

As others have said I don't think there is much to fear from that knight on e4. Nbd2, Qc2 seem fine to me as a continuation, and if you can get black to commit f5 then Ne5 looks good for you too.

chessarran8

good ponit

Seraphimity
[COMMENT DELETED]
Seraphimity

I play the london quite a bit and from your diagram white is clearly better.  Black is set to castle o-o and just removed his key defender with Ne4.  Any number of continuations from your scenerio favor white.  This is why I enjoy the london as you have a rich variety of sharp attacks from this point, IMHO ..Gl! 

Likhit1
-BEES- wrote:

Nothing wrong with the london. It's played at all levels and White can guarantee a playable midgame from it against much stronger players. Additionally, many people are used to responding to Queen's Gambit but not to sideline d4 openings, so they'll be off their strong lines. There is utility in doing that. Haters gonna hate. Just stick with what you like.

I don't hate the London System,I just Dislike it!I feel it is boring and only good in blitz games..Anyway,If u enjoy playing it,then stick with it,If u wanna try something else ,just stick with the main line d4 or e4 openings with white,ur sure to have better chances!

chessarran8

by the way if anyone wonder why the bishop is on g3 it is because if black takes your rock has a open file to attack on

Expertise87

unfortunately the London system is refuted by 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5! 4.e3 Nc6 5.c3?(system move but it's very dubious) 5...Qb6 and Black is at least slightly better.

-BEES- wrote:

AndyClifton

I hate haters!

Seraphimity
Expertise87 wrote:

unfortunately the London system is refuted by 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5! 4.e3 Nc6 5.c3?(system move but it's very dubious) 5...Qb6 and Black is at least slightly better.

-BEES- wrote:

yes, that is a strong deterent to the London.  Whites Qb3 leads to a very dry game.  Point of fact for me it is the very line you mentioned that has me developing a new system for myself as white for d4..  I currently have a game vs. a player rated 1967 who used the refutation you mentioned and at move 19 I am down a pawn and my future in the game does not look good :)  I still enjoy the London and will continue to develop my skills with it.  Once learned inside and out it can lead to some quick wins and sharp play.  For lower rated players still it is a most reliable system