Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The Waite-Harrison Attack

• 3 years ago · Quote · #81

shepi13

• 3 years ago · Quote · #82

The_Gavinator

joeydvivre, you haven't posted anything with analysis of 4. e3. This just further proves you are a troll, and on here to pick a fight.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #83

The_Gavinator

You just said that you posted a line that completely busts it...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #84

shepi13

The_Gavinator wrote:

Apparently you all don't even read what I post. This is about the 5th time I'm saying this, but I agree 4. b4 is busted. It was an aggressive try, and I looked at it only for a few minutes. You all have show it doesn't work. Anyways, I'll put this in the OP too, but for about the 5th time, against c5, I now recommend e3.

Sorry - I was gone for a day or so due to computer problems, I probably missed that page. Yes - e3 is a better decision

• 3 years ago · Quote · #85

CHCL

@shepi13, If it isn't as strong as the QG, then play the QG. The problem with this opening (in my opinion) is that Black equalizes easy, and there is no way for white to put pressure on Black's position. That is why the Watie/Harrison Attack isn't as strong as the QG.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #86

shepi13

joeydvivre wrote:

If that's finally the line we are done to with e3, it's not busted.  In fact, it is very ordinary.  It appears in my database with 137 games.  Miladinovic plays it all the time.  That was hardly the original discussion and there can be no claim of originality there.

I believe that joeydvivre thought you were refering to this line earlier when he claimed it was busted. We have busted this line, as black at least equalizes.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #87

The_Gavinator

Actually, I posted at the bottom of the second page that 4. b4 is busted. joeydvivre has yet to post a line that doesn't involve 4 b4, and he didn't begin posting until the 3rd page. Therefore he was posting soley on old news, just to give a reason to try to insult me, and the opening, because he is a TROLLLLL

• 3 years ago · Quote · #88

shepi13

CHCL wrote:

@shepi13, If it isn't as strong as the QG, then play the QG. The problem with this opening (in my opinion) is that Black equalizes easy, and there is no way for white to put pressure on Black's position. That is why the Watie/Harrison Attack isn't as strong as the QG.

I actually always play the QG as white, I was just saying that there is nothing inherently wrong with that line. I'm considering learning the catalan, but I probably won't play it that much - using the theory mainly for grunfeld transpositions.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #89

The_Gavinator

joey, i'm going to type in all caps because it appears you have problems reading

THE E3 LINE I MENTIONED WAS ON MOVE 4!! NOT MOVE 5 OR MOVE 6 OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT. IF YOU ARE GOING TO POST A LINE, I RECOMMEND 4. E3 AFTER 3...C5!!!

ps.- Nobody has really mentioned the 3...Bf5 line. Could you guys post thoughts on that too?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #90

The_Gavinator

Actually, in the master's database on chess365.com, there is over 170,000 games with the first move d4, and NONE of them feature that position.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #91

shepi13

Well the first database I found that had Nb5 after Bf5 showed white scoring 2.5-0.5 out of three games played. As this database also had amateur games as well, this might not be the most accurate judgement, and three games isn't enough to prove or disprove an opening anyways. I believe that your opening might be playable for white, but as it offers black easy equality and good chance for an advantage I wouldn't ever play it. Also, I don't think Bd3 giving up your better bishop for a knight looks that great. Try finding a safer way to defend the fork. In addition, your opening lacks kingside development, which might be a problem if black can begin to initiate an attack. I wouldn't play it, but I don't believe it is an immediate loss.

Note:

I have an online game in a similar Nb5 line going on currently (grunfeld, not qsfl or Whaite-Harrison - and I was playing black). I made solid developing moves, and at this point I should be winning. I will post the game when I finish it so we can analyze the opening and why exactly I gained an advantage. In addition, nobody has analyzed my Nb8!? that I gave earlier. The idea is that it transposes to a solid line in which black scores very well, and reroutes the knight from a6 to a better square, such as d7 or c6, rather than trying to attack with Nb4. I'll look back to the exact post and post the line again.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #92

shepi13

The_Gavinator wrote:

Actually, in the master's database on chess365.com, there is over 170,000 games with the first move d4, and NONE of them feature that position.

You're slightly off - precisely 24 games feature that position - which is still very few.

4. e3  24 2011
    16.7 % 25 % 58.3 %
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #93

The_Gavinator

That's the big database, not Master's database.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #94

whatupyodog

What a beautiful opening!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #95

shepi13

joeydvivre wrote:

I have 137 in my ChessBase online database for which I pay some dollar amount like $59/year to access.  Sorry you do not have a decent database.  Many of these are not especially obscure games played in real events by people with 2500+ ratings.

I have access to chess.coms database, chessgames.coms database, chesstempo's database, chess365's database, etc. I am sorry that I don't pay for chess base, and you are obviously a much better player than me with much better resources.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #96

shepi13

Please note the sarcasm in my last post

In addition, if it was that great of a database and it only has 137 games, that shows that it isn't played all that often. 137 out of what - 200,000+. Really?

I can't find my post with Nb8, but I remember it being interesting. Oh well.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #97

shepi13

No - it's not the money - simply that I haven't gotten it yet. I probably will as I get better. As it is I use the GUI Tarrasch with Rybka for analysis.

I already pay for a few sites like chess.com and ICC, just haven't downloaded or bought chessbase yet. It does look cool, and I probably will get it once I break 1700 or 1800 USCF.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #98

shepi13

6...Nb8 5
      60% 40%

Here, I looked at the opening explorer again:

And black is shown as scoring 3.5 - 1.5 in this line (2-0 with 3 draws), I assume it transposes to the following:

• 3 years ago · Quote · #99

shepi13

Forgot: 4...Bf5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #100

The_Gavinator

Ehh, I think I'm giving up on this one. I don't think it's bad, and I may occasionally play it, but it's just not getting the aggressiveness I hoped. It'll probably work against beginners who will play Nc6, but I'll probably play the Parham from now on. Thank you for all of your analysis, I believe this opening is still playable, but is just not right for me. It is sound, and is playable.

Post your reply: