Forums

This is overwhelming.

Sort:
Disgruntled_Sheep
3point14times2 wrote:
AdorableMogwai wrote:

Yeah following general opening principles is what I did with the Scandinavian.

"Hey if I take the d5 pawn the queen will come out early and I can win a tempo on the queen with knight to c3"

Unfortunately by doing this I was walking into a main line I knew absolutely nothing about and my opponent had probably played for years.

How do Ifit 3000 games in one year, simple, by playing everyday. I just started playing at chess.com a few days ago and I already have like 50 standard length games here.

Oh. Well, using my calculator I see that 3000/365 = 8.219178... which means that he has to play 8 games per day!

...Isn't that a lot? :O

It sure is... According to his profile, he's complted 54 games in 4 months. Maybe a slight exaggeration... Wink

AdorableMogwai
Disgruntled_Sheep wrote:

It sure is... According to his profile, he's complted 54 games in 4 months. Maybe a slight exaggeration...

I've played 550 games in these past 3 months alone when you count the ones I played here and on lichess. Look closer before you imply I'm a liar. 4 months ago I played 1 game on chess.com , and the rest of the 54 games chess.com games I played in the past 3 days because Lichess was having technical issues. Look at my lichess profile

http://en.lichess.org/@/Kevin5

Tonight I played a few blitz games which is something I rarely do. 99% of my games are 30 minutes per side. That account I created on July 25th of this year and I have 503 games played 99% of which are 30 minutes per side. Before that account I had another but deleted it.

AdorableMogwai

The rest of you (besides DisgruntledSheep) thanks for your comments. Looks like I'll go back to studying tactics and endgame.

Talfan1

glad if i helped in any way even if it left you rejecting the line i used at least it was looked at by you good luck and good chess 

denner

Basic development, pawn structure intact, recognizing and using/avoiding pins and forks will get you through to the middle game in most games. Don't burn yourself out trying to be an opening encyclopedia. It's supposed to be fun.

Returnofcookiemonster

That IM is a stupid idiot the english is a good all around opening and can transpose into alot of variations. Lets say its kinda like the sicilian with black colors.

Scottrf
returnofxpchesser wrote:

That IM is a stupid idiot the english is a good all around opening and can transpose into alot of variations. Lets say its kinda like the sicilian with black colors.

He didn't say it was a bad opening, he said bad for beginners.

Remellion

Very bad for beginners. To use it to its fullest, you need good understanding of most QP openings, reversed Sicilian formations, independent English setups, a good sense of positional play, and the ability to handle transpositions and reversed-colour openings well. It's much easier to actively play for a good middlegame with other choices.

agileX10
EscherehcsE wrote:
Indyfilmguy wrote:

I have a question for the Gremlin:  Can you tell us what the "opening principles" are?

Who's the Gremlin?

http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/content/ten-rules-opening

And it's easy to overlook the link for Purdy's opening guidelines on that same page:

http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/node/241/8#comment-8

Thanks for the link. Can someone please explain this entry from Lasker's rules for opening: "Do not pin the adverse King Knight (ie. by Bg5) before your opponent has castled."

I do this all the time as black so apparently it's an immediate change I can make to improve my game, but an understanding of why this is poor play would be helpful.

AdorableMogwai

I think there are some tactics if you pin the king's knight too soon, for example I've had this happen twice when I was playing the Budapest Gambit and my opponent declined by pushing the pawn by.

Also there's something you can do in the Smith-Morra gambit if they try to pin the king's knight too soon with bishop captures f7.

VLaurenT

@agile :

Because this might just help your opponent attack your own king with a pawn storm, like in this famous game :

agileX10

Thank you both for the interesting examples. I learned something today.