Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Want solid opening against d4

• 22 months ago · Quote · #41

ElvisFord

I enjoy the Baltic Defense against the Queen's Gambit.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #42

moonnie

S-Bharadwaj wrote:

Dude dont post any comments that beginners need not learn openings. Just answer the question

Well you could of course learn by head all the lines of an opening without any clue why you play the moves. You can play the nimzo without having a clue when a knight is equal to or stronger than a bisshop.

But in the end you play versus other 1200 players. They do not know openings. In 80% of your games you will be out of your theory in 4-5 moves and ofcourse your opponents response is not in the books. There you are with your 15-20 moves deep prep. You know the moves but still do not know the general opening principles.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #43

S-Bharadwaj

frank124c wrote:

I like the Phenelomorphin Defense. 

If you wanna reccomend some opening 'no one' knows pls. show some moves after which black is winning.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #44

WalangAlam

Slav and semislav. Need to time the f pawn push in the middle game. It would lead to endgames so study endgames too. Just like me. LOL

• 22 months ago · Quote · #45

linuxblue1

Go the Tango Cool

1..Nf6 and 2..Nc6 and let him chase you around the dance floor.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #46

Expertise87

I don't move my f-pawn very often in my Slav and Semi-Slav games....

The Baltic defense is pretty risky (not particularly sound either)

Develop your pieces and castle. 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 is perfectly sound, and just develop your pieces to reasonable squares (knight to f6, bishop to f5 if they don't play knight to c3, and pawn e6 if they do, Nbd7, Be7 or Bd6, and castle kingside. if you put the Bishop on d6, watch out for pawn forks on e5)

• 22 months ago · Quote · #47

Metaknight251

the the Semi-Slav is good.  Also, if you are trying for a benoni, d4 nf6 is the best way to go into it.  

• 22 months ago · Quote · #48

Immryr

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 22 months ago · Quote · #49

DrFrank124c

S-Bharadwaj wrote:
    frank124c wrote:

I like the Phenelomorphin Defense. 

If you wanna reccomend some opening 'no one' knows pls. show some moves after which black is winning.

How can I show  moves when no one knows this opening?

• 22 months ago · Quote · #50

Expertise87

ludrah wrote:
    Metaknight251 wrote:

the the Semi-Slav is good.  Also, if you are trying for a benoni, d4 nf6 is the best way to go into it.  

Explain.

If you're asking about the Benoni move-order, 1.d4 c5 is inaccurate because White doesn't have to commit to c2-c4, and Black doesn't get counterplay down the half-open e-file if White simply plays 2.d5 d6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e4.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 commits White to have c2-c4 already played before Black reveals that it will be a Benoni, and gives the added option of the Benko Gambit 3...b5 (which is by far the most common move in this position) as well as the modern Benoni with 3...e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 where Black will play g6, Bg7, O-O, and Re8.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #51

ElvisFord

The Baltic Defense arises after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 Bf5!?, and if you are tired of suffering on the Black side of the Queen's Gambit, then the Baltic Defense can change all that.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #52

Expertise87

It has the drawback of being unsound, and therefore not 'solid' as asked for by the OP.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #53

ElvisFord

I have not heard of an outright refutation. You call unsound that which is offbeat. The OP opponents willl likely not know the theory for him to get into trouble with the Baltic.

The Chigorin, and Albin are also very playable.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #54

Expertise87

ElvisFord the line posted above, as well as the simple 3.Nc3 e6 4.Nf3 c6 5.Qb3 leads to a clear advantage for White. I believe Watson cited 3.Qb3 as an outright refutation if White knows his stuff as well.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #55

AnthonyCG

It looks like the Scaninavian against 1.d4.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #56

ElvisFord

There are traps in the Dutch for black to be wary of. Here is one of them.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #57

ElvisFord

I was premature with the Chigorin. Thanks for your analysis, Powerlevel_9001.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #58

Expertise87

And here's another:

• 22 months ago · Quote · #59

ElvisFord

That's a clever trap.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #60

ElvisFord

Perhaps that's why I've never seen 1. d4 f5 in a game yet.

Post your reply: