Forums

What are the 5 best solid openings?

Sort:
StevenBailey13

I'm playing in a pretty big tournament in 5 weeks and I need to have a good opening database - I prefer solid openings and I wondered which ones I would be best using ( btw I use the Caro-Kaan)

Thanks!

CerebralAssassin

if ur already using the Caro then run with that....that's as solid as they get (and the Petroff).and Slav/QGD against d4

Crazychessplaya

Caro-Kann, Petrov, QGD... Book up on the Panov-Botvinnik in the C-K.

cheshunt

Could someone explain this opening ? Thanks, Tony.

Scorpius22akaZack

I'm not sure how aggressive of a player you are but if you wanna gamble and fight for a good win as black maybe try the latvian counter-gambit... Nobody is gonna be studying those lines before a tourny so you could blind-side your opponents with it. Slav is very technical and its lines that Queen's gambit players study. A quick brush up with Kasparov lines in QGA might change your mind... As far as white is concerned d4 is the way to go... dont have to worry about sicilian defense and you can enjoy a positional tug-of-war. Good Luck!!!

finalunpurez

Caro kann is definitely in the top 5

-waller-

The danger with booking up too much on openings is that you stop thinking, to a degree. It's probably a better idea to spend your time elsewhere, and then play your own openings - not drift into book lines you just learnt by rote.

johnpaul799

i believe in firebrandX. you should experiment on your own comfortable opening. do not try to imitate the book opening. just be yourself and it will come naturally. experiment first if you have engine computer program and from then, you will know what the best opening for you. if you will ask me, i prefer queens pawn opening. it is the opening i usually used because it is use in almost different kind of player from club to the strongest grandmaster level. try it if you want and if it fits you, then you can use it to your opponent. try to experiment from it and you will see, you will enjoy it. even kasparov used it as a main weapon to all his opponent. i hope i answer your question. good luck and have fun.

rkoelbach

Caro-Kann and Petrov vs. 1.e4. Play the QGD and QGA vs. 1.d4. Play solid 1.d4 openings like the London System as White.

shequan

you know what I would do, if I knew I wasn't going to be playing anyone above 2000 FIDE or expert level, I would just get Dzindzichasvili's DVDs on complete rapid tournament repetoire for black and white and just play what he recommends there. you would get rock solid positions from the opening and would know your plan and what to play for. before anyone says anything, I KNOW, what he recommends in those dvd's wouldn't cut it at IM, GM Level. but that isn't who those DVD's are for, they are for people learning chess up to about 2000ish level.

Natalia_Pogonina

I'm afraid neither rankings of most solid openings, nor rankings of the best openings exist. The Caro-Cann is solid enough against 1.e4. Make sure you know what to play against 1.d4 and other first moves as well though. Smile

Ilusha

vs e4 Caro-Kan, Petroff, Berlin. vs d4 QGD, QGA, Nimzo/Bogo.

Michael-G
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

I'm afraid neither rankings of most solid openings, nor rankings of the best openings exist.

Please don't say that.Half (at least) of chess.com members are going to kill themselves .They are trying to find the best opening for years Laughing.

StevenBailey13

What are the thoughts about the nimzo-indian as black?

StevenBailey13

Or the french?

AlCzervik
FirebrandX wrote:

Looking at the OP's rating, I'd say the opening is going to help very little at this point. Just play what you are used to and try to make it a fun learning experience.

Probably the best advice you will receive. Have fun and good luck.

StevenBailey13
TMIMITW wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:

Looking at the OP's rating, I'd say the opening is going to help very little at this point. Just play what you are used to and try to make it a fun learning experience.

Probably the best advice you will receive. Have fun and good luck.

I don't win my games through good luck. 

StevenBailey13

So far I have

Caro-Kaan

Petrov Defence

Berlin

Nimzo-Indian

Queen's Gambit declined

rkoelbach
TheProfessor wrote:

What are the thoughts about the nimzo-indian as black?

One of the most respected openings vs. 1.d4. Strategically sharp, but very sound. Not so easy to understand, though IMO. QGD and QGA are easier to learn. 

rkoelbach
TheProfessor wrote:

Or the french?

Far too complicated IMO, at least if you play the main variations. Maybe the Rubinstein is interesting and economical.