Forums

What is the single best book on the Grunfeld to start with?

Sort:
SilentKnighte5

That wasn't a mouse slip either, I was just blind.

MuhammadAreez10

Colour blind?

MuhammadAreez10

Piece blind?

SilentKnighte5

Probably a little of both.

Vandarringa
Zigwurst wrote:

I suggest any tactics book

+1

SilentKnighte5
Vandarringa wrote:
Zigwurst wrote:

I suggest any tactics book

+1

This has nothing to do with my question.

SilentKnighte5
mnhsr wrote:

The Old Man and The Sea by Earnest Hemingway.

We had to read this in high school.  Like most books I was assigned to read in high school, I didn't.

Mainline_Novelty

I'll second (third?) Understanding the Grunfeld.

MuhammadAreez10

Ok, then I'll fourth it.Wink

bong711

I didn't study any Gruenfeld book. I just analyze the Gruenfeld games of former WC Kasparov and GM Svidler.

TwoMove

That's about the best advise for someone with experience level of OP, to explore if like the opening. Then something which explains ideas like Rowson's book, or Yelena Dembo's which built on Rowson's rep to a large extent. 

Also worth bearing in mind that complicated but technical openings like Grunfeld and semi-slav, which is extraordinary popular with low rating players on chess com for some reason, are about the worst openings for beginner level players to start on. Even something like the KID is better because although complicated black is generally hacking towards enemy king.

RathminesRampager

I have given up the Grunfeld as I could not keep up with the theory. My preferred source was "The Safest Grunfeld" by Alexander Delchev and Evgeni Agrest published in 2011 but there is nothing better that is more recent.

bong711

RathminesRampager wrote:

I have given up the Grunfeld as I could not keep up with the theory. My preferred source was "The Safest Grunfeld" by Alexander Delchev and Evgeni Agrest published in 2011 but there is nothing better that is more recent.

Fritz Power Book 2019 is the latest in opening theory including Gruenfeld Defense.

Invincible_Spryzen

The early worm can protect himself from birds

SO play the grunfeld is best

Invincible_Spryzen

don't try to catch the bird it will catch u

tygxc

Books are obsolete, a data base is better.
Study the 5 Grünfeld games played at the Yekaterinburg Candidates' Tournament.