Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What opening do you think is the begginers worst enemy?


  • 20 months ago · Quote · #1

    chessteenager

    This forum is just for fun and curiosity. 

    Like what opening do begginers probably have the worst time playing against.

    In my opinion it is the french because you cant get a fast attack on it because of how solid it is and you have to understand to defend your center accurately instead of pinning random knights with bishops and weird aggressive development. 

    Another one would be gruenfeld because of how extremely sharp it is

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #2

    SmyslovFan

    Two of the worst openings beginners use are the black side of the Sicilian and the black side of the King's Indian. Two others that are just about guaranteed to lose when novices use them: the black side of the Pirc and either side of the "Sniper".

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #3

    chessteenager

    I never found out what the sniper was? what is the real name or the moves? hmm i see what you mean. 

    The pirc doesnt have much activity in it at the beggining.

    The kid brings about hugely complex positions.

    and the sicilian breaks every single opening rule and the only people using it need to understand the theory

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #4

    SmyslovFan

    chessteenager wrote:

    ...

    Like what opening do begginers probably have the worst time playing against.

    In my opinion it is the french because you cant get a fast attack on it because of how solid it is and you have to understand to defend your center accurately instead of pinning random knights with bishops and weird aggressive development. 

    ...

    If you need help learning how to attack the French, take a look at the following games:

    Petrov-Szymansky 1847 (1-0, 16 moves)

    Nimzovich-Hakannsson 1922 (1-0, 27 moves)

    Kotov-Kalmanok 1936 (1-0, 22 moves)

    Alekhine-Fahrni 1914( 1-0, 23 moves)

    Lyuboshits-Shagalovich 1956 (1-0 15 moves)

    That's a good starting point. 

    The lesson to be learned from these games is not just that Black can lose quickly in the French, but the winner of the game is the player with a better grasp of tactics and a better imagination for attacking!

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #5

    chessteenager

    I think another option is 1...e5. I was told by a strong master once that the only try for white against 1...e5 should be the Ruy because all other lines dont try as hard for an advantage. Begginers love to use stuff like the ponziani and Italian which in my opinion is just second rate to the Ruy....Then again everything is second rate to the Ruy in my opinion

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #6

    royalbishop

    chessteenager wrote:

    I think another option is 1...e5. I was told by a strong master once that the only try for white against 1...e5 should be the Ruy because all other lines dont try as hard for an advantage. Begginers love to use stuff like the ponziani and Italian which in my opinion is just second rate to the Ruy....Then again everything is second rate to the Ruy in my opinion

    Yeah the Ruy is nice.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #7

    chessteenager

    Its a lot of theory though. A ridiculous amount with the Archangel, Berlin, chigoran, breyer, zaitsev, exchange, marshall, steinitz....

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #8

    chessteenager

    my bad?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #9

    1RedKnight99

    Real beginners have problems with trappy openings (playing them too much or falling for them). 

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #10

    AndyClifton

    chessteenager wrote:

    I think another option is 1...e5. I was told by a strong master once that the only try for white against 1...e5 should be the Ruy because all other lines dont try as hard for an advantage. Begginers love to use stuff like the ponziani and Italian which in my opinion is just second rate to the Ruy....Then again everything is second rate to the Ruy in my opinion

    These are not exactly wild-eyed thoughts. Smile

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #11

    Oraoradeki

    Beginner's enemy includes (but not limited to)

    • Poorly handled French defense (3...dxe4)
    • Poorly handled Scandianavian (3...Qe5+)
    • 2. Bc4 Sicilian
    • Queen pawn game with 2. e3
    • Irregular opening (moving pawn to the third rank only for all the pawns)
  • 20 months ago · Quote · #12

    1RedKnight99

    Oraoradeki wrote:

    Beginner's enemy includes (but not limited to)

    Poorly handled French defense (3...dxe4) Poorly handled Scandianavian (3...Qe5+) 2. Bc4 Sicilian Queen pawn game with 2. e3 Irregular opening (moving pawn to the third rank only for all the pawns)

    I'm not a real beginner, but even I hate 2.Bc4 Sicilian as black.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #13

    helltank

    The Ruy Lopez has a lot of theory but you see the same patterns appearing over and over. For example, if you take 10 grandmaster games of the Ruy Lopez Closed Variation(which is pretty much the most popular variation except for maybe the Open or the Berlin) you'll see the same moves like c3, h3, d4 appearing over and over. Once you understand why they make these moves (c3 and d4 to force Black to concede the centre and h3 once your opponent plays d6 so he can't play Bg4) you can play the Ruy Lopez soundly until you get to a level where opening theory is more important than tactics and positional understanding.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #14

    i_r_n00b

    beginners are usually horrible against the king's gambit opening.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #15

    CHCL

    This is an interesting topic. I personally think it is the French; no beginner that I know ever knows what to do.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #16

    CHCL

    I wonder...What are the most popular openings at the beginning level? Is it just limited to 1.e4..e5, 1...c5 and Colle lines?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #17

    chessteenager

    CHCL wrote:

    This is an interesting topic. I personally think it is the French; no beginner that I know ever knows what to do.

    That is why the exchange french exists :(. 

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #18

    CHCL

    i_r_n00b wrote:

    beginners are usually horrible against the king's gambit opening.

    Forgot about that one... Yes!

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #19

    chessteenager

    LisaV wrote:

    Focusing on openings is a beginner's worst enemy.

    Very true. A hole that i have fallen very deep in.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #20

    royalbishop

    LisaV wrote:

    Focusing on openings is a beginner's worst enemy.

    On this site very true. Even if you know the opening it is tough here.


Back to Top

Post your reply: