Forums

What's the best chess opening??

Sort:
hello_0101

im just trying to find out the best chess opening. im fairly average at chess but i just want to learn more anyone help me... cheers...

spaniard

There is no "best" opening. There are openings and counter-openings.. But each has it's weaknesses and it's strengths. It's the game afterward that is important.

That said, the middle of the board is a rather important 'controlling' point. 

JMack207
As Spaniard said, there is no "best" opening.  All openings can be exploited.  Though I'm not one to give advice (look at my low ranking and win/lose record) choose one opening and study the heck out of it until you have it down, and then go on to another.  That is what I've been doing, though I've got a very slow learning curve.
KillaBeez
There is no supreme opening, but there are certainly crappy ones.  Know your openings or you will get rocked however.
BasicLvrCH8r
That is certainly true. Some crappy openings are the Bongcloud (move your king into the center and get checkmated), the Grob (1. g4), the Borg (1. e4 g5), the Halloween Attack or Müller-Schulze Gambit (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf3 4. Nxe5?), the Fred Defence (1. e4 f5 2. exf5 Nc6 3. Qh5 g6 4. hxg6 Nf6 5. g7+ Nxh5 6. gxh8=Q), and many more.
monalisa
There are openings and then there are openings? One opening would be; "Did it hurt?" "What?" "Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?" That is one opening. As for chess openings, Anthony Miles beat Karpov with a6 after e4. What does that tell you? It tells you a Korchnoi quote, " You do not play chess, you understand it." If you understand chess you understand it. That and a lot of work will make you better. Openings are just openings; your understanding of your opponents moves and your understanding of chess proves; who will win or lose whatever the first or second move!!
bgianis
There is no best opening.It depends on how you continue and your opponent of course.
monalisa
I am and others the invisible men? Does anyone acutally read the forums before they post? ABCDEFG that might be a prerequisite :((
PawnFork
The best one is the one you have learned well enough to have explored.
mueller

despite whateveryone above said. if you look at grandmaster play, most common defense by black after e4 is the sicilian.  and for d4, usually theres some queens gambit declined in vogue at the moment.

but there really isn't a best, theres just your playing style. I can have a lot of success with the Kings Gambit, and just about everyone knows thats a broken opening. Petrov is fun for black also.

ka49s
Muller-Schulze isn't even that bad of an opening. If white can get his pawn on d6, he gains a huge developmental advantage that can often compensate for the loss of the exchange.
Unbeliever
There is no best opening.  Just choose an opening that accomplishes the objectives you wish to accomplish and fits your playing style.
dalmatinac
There is no best opening but my favorites is Ruy Lopez(with white pieces) 1.e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5 ,French defense(with black pieces) 1.e4 e6
shakje

I've also started looking at openings for the first time in my chess playing days, and I've found that the way that I found most helpful to learn was to pick a few well-known openings (choose one for white, then replies to e4 and d4 as black) and study them, look at a few variations and the main line so that you know where things go and look at the final position. It's a lot easier to memorise lines once you get into the rhythm of it than you'd think and I've found that this has improved my game lots, just by aiming at a certain position, while reacting to what's happening on the board at any given moment.  I just look at the ones I'm interested in because I play for fun, but it's helped me get into openings and I've got a new book on the Sicilian in the post. Modern Chess Openings 14th Edition is the book I used to get into them as recommended by people on here.

<3 Najdorf, Scotch, Nimzo-Indian and a bit of Grunfeld.

rgp89
Following the opening principles during the opening.
lukeyboy_xx

i move in the center becaus eit is good to control the centre.

antne003

LUKEBOY,   I  LIKE  THE SCOTCH  GAME  ALSO,  BUT  LATELY HAVE BEEN  LOOKING INTO  THE COLLE SYSTEM, ZUKERTORT VARIATION  and  it seems

pretty good to  me(but i'm  a  beginner like you  and want to learn.,  you  can't go  wrong  listening to above  average chess players in this  forum,  but  be open minded and  try  what  you  thgink  would be  good for  your style  and through away the  advice  that  doesn't work for  you

but  everyone i have read so far are  right  on  point, basic  opening  principals

are  the  same,  control  the  center,  develop develop, protect  your king(castle)  and  only  when  minor  pieces are developed  and  king  safe,  plan  you  strategy,  don't  move any  minor piece twice until develop and  keep for  queen  back, no  further  then  7th   or  second rank(depending on board position), bring it  out only when  needed(don't make  it  the target  unless necessary)

hope  this helps,  but  remember,  i'm  a  beginner  also  and am here  to  learn

thanks    tony     antne003

antne003@comcast.net

Cycatryx

Like most other people said, there is no "best" opening.  While there are openings that control the board better than others, and openings that are best at countering other openings, none of them could be considered the "best" opening.

Nyctalop

Well, the most solid and played defence against 1. e4 at the highest level tournaments is the Petroff. It has been played by virtually every super-GM at some point or another.

Against 1. d4, the Slav is right now considered the most solid reply. Notice that both of these openings allow the White player to force an early positional draw, the early Queen exchange in the Petroff, which no one plays anymore, and the exchange variation in the Slav. That basically says that Black is happy with a draw and it is White that should force matters if he wants to win. On a side note, I think the Petroff is the main reason why Carlsen chose to risk playing the KG's at Bazna a few days ago.

But openings are a matter of fashion and everyone follows trends. The most correct statement isn't which is the best opening but which are the most fashionable.

MrNimzoIndian

Make these three openings your final destination some time (years) from now:

For white: 1d4 with a view to Queens Gambit

For black: Against 1d4, assuming they play Queens Gambit, play the Nimzo Indian

and against 1e4 the Sicilian

Statistically these are the best. Check out what openings are played at world championship level ....

BUT chess is not just about logical objectivity. If you are playing in a league and never vary, your opponent will see you coming - and prepare. This is where the "poker" element comes into it - the realm of second best moves that your opponent may not know....

In the MEANTIME start building a 1e4 repertoire based , say on the Italian Game. Play the open variation of the Sicilian from the White side....As Black against 1e4 play 1....e5 , perhaps with a view to playing the Two Knights against the Italian Game....Against the Queens Gambit try the Albin Counter Gambit...You will find that most players at your level may well play the so called Queen's Pawn list (viz Colle, Torre, Stonewall.....) let them - not as good as Queens Gambit, but you will need to learn how to grind them down with a timely c5...