Forums

What's the best gambit?

Sort:
skyler

I am in a chess tourney and i'm not sure what gambit to do Queens Gambit or Kings Gambit?

The_Gavinator

KG is an instant loss for white, QG is ok but boring.

The_Gavinator

"In my opinion the King's Gambit is busted. It loses by force."-Bobby Fischer

The_Gavinator

Then don't tell me to be ignored.

ponz111

Theory have evolved since Bobby Fischer made his statement and I know of no defense that defeats the Kings Gambit?

oldlady2010
WELL SKYLR I'M NOT EVAN SURE WHAT THAT MEANS SORRYskyler_kelly wrote:

I am in a chess tourney and i'm not sure what gambit to do Queens Gambit or Kings Gambit?

Whispers7

Queen gambit

shepi13

Queen's gambit is generally considered safer and more common, but the kings gambit is by no means refuted. Gavinator: stop being an idiot, and show one Fischer game where black wins. Fischer practically always won with the white side, and had some troubles on the black side. Learn some history, Fischer published that analysis after a tough loss as black vs the KG. No one really believes it refutes it.

(Except you Laughing)

shepi13

And how is QG boring. There are many extremely interesting positional ideas behind it: the minority attack, the central majority, strong and weak pawn chains, attacking pawn chains at the base, etc. In addition white can chose a strong attacking approach, in some cases even castling queenside!

And that's just the exchange variation. What about the orthodox defense, cambridge springs, capablanca freeing manuver, QGD tarkatower variation, etc.

And that's just the mainline QGD, what about slav, semi-slav, meran, botvinnik, anti-moscow gambit, moscow, tarrasch defense, etc.

And that's still not including the accepted variation: IQP positions, weak vs strong center, active pieces, etc. are extremely important in this kind of play.

And then there are different white approaches after d4 d5 c4 e6, for example the catalan, b3 variations, etc.

You obviously don't understand chess if you call an opening with this rich of a history and these variations ranging from some of the most tactical in chess to some of the most amazing positional ideas in chess "boring".

Please stop telling these people, who obviously just want help improving their chess, your stupid ideas. You aren't helping anyone.

The_Gavinator

Ok, I didn't realize you all are better chess players than Bobby Fischer. If he believes the KG is refuted, I'd agree with him. and the QG is usually a closed game where you don't get to do much, it's not fun and attacking, in fact it's not even a true gambit.

The_Gavinator
shepi13 wrote:

In addition white can chose a strong attacking approach, in some cases even castling queenside!

You mean like you do in the mainline Parham? How much of a troll can you be lol?

azziralc

Play the Mozio-Gambit

azziralc
The_Gavinator wrote:

KG is an instant loss for white, QG is ok but boring.

QG is hard to win but has a solid defense for White, is that the reason why you say it's boring?

The_Gavinator

Fischer believes the KG is busted, since he is probably one of the best 3 players in the world, I'd believe him. The QG is about as drawish as the Ruy Lopez, maybe even more.

chessmaster102

kg of course you wont get a real gambit fun game from qg

The_Gavinator

Except for the fact you lose with the KG, you got about half of that right though.

John_Doe18

The queens gambit and the catalan gambit are the most sound gambits in chess.

There are other gambits, but they must be used only as surprise weapon or in blitz/bullet games and should not be adapted in regular play

Chumpchess

I like the ghetto-gambit

chessmaster102
pfren wrote:chessmaster102 wrote:kg of course you wont get a real gambit fun game from qgYou should really team up with Gavinator- your mentality is very similar.

he dislikes it and im supporting it so how are we similar
UltraLaser

Both gambits can give good, interesting games, and both are worth a try - in my opinion the Queen's Gambit leads to a safer opening/early middlegame. The King's Gambit is very sharp, and I guess the one that you should play depends on your style.