Pardon Our Blunders with IM Rensch & GM Finegold is LIVE! Open to ALL MEMBERS!Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What's Your Repertoire, and why do you play it?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

AugieFreebird

As black, I play mostly the black side of Anti-Sicilian BS.  Once in a blue moon, I get an open sicilian, and then I play the Dragon.  Why?  Because it's fun and it sounds cool.

Against d4, I play the Tarrasch, because it was the only d4 defense I ever understood worth a crap.  I'll be damned if I'm going to play some defense that has me moving my knight back to its starting square halfway through the game as a point of theory.

With white, I play e4.

I play the Italian in the classical style with early d4's against everything.  It ain't going to win me any trophies, but it keeps me from having to reinvent the wheel every time out.

Against the Sicilian, I play the open, and I do my damndest to play the mainlines.  This is my tip of the hat to my fellow Sicilian players, who didn't go through all the trouble of learning to play the blasted thing just so they could face 2.Bc4 or some other bull shit.

Against the French, I play the advance.  Why?  Because that way, I get to play in a way at least some decent players wouldn't scoff at, but without having to learn what to do against 43 different black schemes.  I occasionally play 2.f4, just because I think it freaks the Frenchies out, and it ends up playing a lot like an advance anyway.  I sometimes think I might take up the King's Indian Attack, but then I think hypermodernism can bite my ass.

Against the Caro Kann I play the Panov, because it's just enough like the Tarrasch that I feel like I can wing it without getting killed by the fancy pants booked up college kids at the coffee house.

Against Alekhine's I play Nc3 and hope they don't know what they're doing either.  Pretentious dainties.  If I ever get around to it, I'm going to learn the 4-pawns attack, because cramming pawns down the throats of people who want to prance around without doing anything appeals to me.

Against the Scandinavian I play the Blackmar because screw the Scandinavian.  If I wanted to play against your glorified Caro Kann I wouldn't play the Panov, now would I?  Maybe you don't play the Scandinavian that way, but I can't be sure, now can I?  You don't tell me what to do.  I'M the one playing white.

Against the fianchetto crap I play Be3-Qd2-shove-the-h-pawn stuff.  It works.

What you got?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

tacticisacting123

as white d4

agaist qgd,mainlines (4.bg5) but i opt to to do greek gift unless they do h6 and if so, i do h4 and tey cant take because of a trap-they get checkmated

against accepted i play 3.e4,than i ply the trap with bd3 if they take the pawn with queen they loose it.if not develop and after oponent castles,play e5

slav-mainline

semi slav-botvinnik ,ilike extra pans and the position

if anything other with 1.d5 than cd5

nimzo-rubenstein.i belive thats the only way to get an advantage against it

budapest-mainline

dutch-staunton great conpensation+space for the pawn

against benoni taimanov.white gets a massive opening advandage

kids and grunfelds face a g3 by me,they move the oponent away from the main plan

old indian-mainline

as black

d4 faces nimzo.if nf3 c5

against e4 imhappy with caro .same goes fo c4.if ineed a draw mains,if not more agressive ones

f4e5-many peole fall to the traps ,even if not,is still good

tactic

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

VULPES_VULPES

I am experimenting with uncommon openings, so my first move as white would be 1. b4 with a quasi-fianchetto the following move. Then, I develop my pieces accordingly.

As black, I play the common 1. ...e5 in response to the King's pawn and the English opening (to which I occasionally respond with 1. ... c5).

If I encouter an opening I don't know, I look it up, then reply accordingly by gut instinct and book.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

ChessisGood

I push my c-pawn (e.g. Sicilian, Benoni, Catalan, QG, Maroczy, etc.).

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

Bubatz

Though I have a very different repertoire, I can relate to alot of the thoughts behind OP's choice.

Through decades, my repertoire was:

With White: KIA

With Black: Pirc/KID

I learned tons of KID-theory, but nowadays people seem to try and avoid it at all costs, playing Trompowsky etc. That sucks. Well, at least I always get to play the Pirc against the 1.e4-players.

As of late, I was getting quite a bit bored with my old repertoire, though. On the other hand, I feel too old to learn tons of new theory, say for the Najdorf or 1.e4. Thus, at the moment I'm more or less exclusively playing 1.b3 and 1...b6 - which actually proved to be quite refreshing so far.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

jetfighter13

here is mine

as white

1.e4 honestly I play to have fun and get better, also I can't stand the boring crap that normally comes out of d4 openings.

against 1...e5

2. f4 most common responce OTB and online (though some don't believe me) I play this because its fun, steeped in history and has the likes of Fischer, Spassky, Anderssen, Morphy, most recently Carlsen, and Short's win against Kasparov.

2. Nf3 least common responce, this is if I want a less risky opening (which is rarely ever) if 2...Nc6 3. Bc4 again for fun if Nf6 then c3, if Bc5 then b4 again for fun

against c5 the open sicilian, need to keep it sharp

against e6 the tarrach french

as Black

against e4 fluctuated based on how I feel

Nf6, e5, c5 have all been responces I have played

against d4

the Dutch, fun and suits my favorite way to play

or in some cases the KID, again fun and favorite way to play.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

ChristianSoldier007

no offense jetfighter, but a common trend I see is the ruy lopez or the queen's gambit isd boring. I think this is as bad as the assumption that chess is boring

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

jetfighter13

The Ruy can be quite dynamic (I used to play it, but for a spell I abandoned 1.e4 for 1. c4 in order to avoid the Sicilian) but The idea behind the QG is to slowly squeeze your opponent to death, I want my opponent to die with dignity, not wait arround watching his death come for ages and then resign by the time he realises I am torturing him. thats just mean, I much prefer to shoot my opponent quickly thank God for the win, thank him for a good game, and move on to the next one with no harm done to our relationship

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

Conquistador

This is my repertoire for the most part.

White

1.e4

If 1...e5, then 2.Nf3-->Italian
    -Russian Game--->Spassky Variation
    -Pirc--->Austrian Attack
    -Philidor and other replies--->Harmonic development taking advantage of more space

If 1...e6, then goto Advanced Variation. 

If 1...d6, then goto Pirc--->Austrian Attack

If 1...d5, then goto mainline Scandinavian with 8.Nd5

If 1...c6, then goto "A" or "B"
    If return "A", then goto Fantasy Variation
    If return "B", then goto Advanced

If 1...c5, then 2.Nf3
    If 2...Nc6, then 3.Bb5-->Rossolimo
    If 2...d6, then 3.d4-->Open Sicilian

If 1...Nc6, then 2.Nf3-->Italian

If 1...Nf6-->Four Pawns Attack

Black

If 1.f4, then 1...e5--->From's Gambit
    If 2.e4, then 2...d5--->King's Gambit: Modern Defence.

If 1.c4, then 1...e6-->QGD

If 1.e4, then 1...e5
    If Italian, then Two Knight's Defence
    If Scotch, then Steinitz Variation
    If Ruy Lopez, then Chigorian
    If King's Gambit, then Modern Defence.

If 1.d4, then 1...d5
    If 2.c4, then 2...e6
    -If 3.Nc3, then 3...c6--->Semi-Slav: Noteboom Variation/Meran/Marshall/Botvinnik
    -If 3.Nf3, then 3...Nf6--->QGD or Catalan
    If 2.Nf3, then 2...e6
    -If return London System, then Bd6

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

jetfighter13

looks liek a very picky computer there conquistador lol. what I mean is you are using returns and conditionals and all if A then C but if B then R

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

CHCL

I play e4 Scotch and d4 with Nf3 and transpositions to other main lines. Against e4 I play the Najdorf. Against d4 I play the Benoni. Against c4 I play c5. I respond to Nf3 by playing c5.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

nameno1had

BruceBenedict wrote:

You seem to have the Ruy and the QG confused.

Would it be fair to say that this, somewhat depends on the varitions that get played, as different defenses arise?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

Pawnpusher3

Mainline dragon or Chinese dragon?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

Estragon

I don't have a narrow repertoire with White.  I'm fairly well experienced in all the d4 openings, and the Trompowsky sidelines, and have played the Gibbens-Weiderhagen Gambit (1 d4 Nf6  2 g4) against a 2400 player, reaching a won position before faltering.  I play the Catalan and several lines against the Nimzo (which I also play as Black), QGD, etc.  Depends on my mood at the time.

As Black vs 1 e4 I've played the Caro-Kann for 20 years with good success, and played the French for nearly as long before that, so I can be expected to play the C-K 95% of the time, pulling out the French on rare occasion.

Facing 1 d4, I rely on the Nimzo as my main defense, with Queen's Indian the default choice vs 3 Nf3, although I do play the QGD (Orthodox, Tartakower, or Tarrasch), Modern Benoni, or Bogo-Indian from time to time.

Against the English, I play either a Hedgehog type position with 1 ...c5 or more aggressively with 1 ...e5, aiming for an early  ...f5, depending on my mood.

Vs 1 Nf3 Nf6  2 g3 I most often uncork Spassky's Defense 2 ...b5, or use a Catalan set-up.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

mateologist

Estragon wrote:

I don't have a narrow repertoire with White.  I'm fairly well experienced in all the d4 openings, and the Trompowsky sidelines, and have played the Gibbens-Weiderhagen Gambit (1 d4 Nf6  2 g4) against a 2400 player, reaching a won position before faltering.  I play the Catalan and several lines against the Nimzo (which I also play as Black), QGD, etc.  Depends on my mood at the time.

As Black vs 1 e4 I've played the Caro-Kann for 20 years with good success, and played the French for nearly as long before that, so I can be expected to play the C-K 95% of the time, pulling out the French on rare occasion.

Facing 1 d4, I rely on the Nimzo as my main defense, with Queen's Indian the default choice vs 3 Nf3, although I do play the QGD (Orthodox, Tartakower, or Tarrasch), Modern Benoni, or Bogo-Indian from time to time.

Against the English, I play either a Hedgehog type position with 1 ...c5 or more aggressively with 1 ...e5, aiming for an early  ...f5, depending on my mood.

Vs 1 Nf3 Nf6  2 g3 I most often uncork Spassky's Defense 2 ...b5, or use a Catalan set-up.

But your mainlines are: The catalan with white

: The  nimzo-indian against  QG

:The caro-kann  against 1.e4

What set-up do you use against the the King's Indian Defence which seems to be a favorite at ICC ?   Cool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

nyLsel

Nongxha wrote:

I don't have any repertoire. I don't know any opening principles,variations,names,lines,patterns... All i know is the rule and that I ENJOY CHESS.. I enjoy losing,i enjoy winning.. I Enjoy CHESS..

Wow, that's great Nongxha. But why not try study few openings?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

nyLsel

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Nxe4 

I always play the open variation of Spanish game.

If 6.d4 then I play 6...b5 7.Bb3 d5! Closing the diagonal for Bishop and protecting the Knight at e4.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

mateologist

nyLsel wrote:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Nxe4 

I always play the open variation of Spanish game.

If 6.d4 then I play 6...b5 7.Bb3 d5! Closing the diagonal for Bishop and protecting the Knight at e4.

+1

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

chessblood

I have started playing the scotch because the lines are easy to remember and it usually leads to simple open games.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

DaBigOne

E4 as white, and a italian game

Against it either c5 or e5

with e5, i do either berlin defense against ruy lopez/ or 2 knights against italian game

With c5, i do a najdorf/svenghegin or what ever its called.

against d4/c4 is Nf6 with a Kings Indian Defense

Against Nf3, Nf6 to just go to a kings indian

Post your reply: