Forums

Which gambit opening do you prefer to use?

Sort:
aggressivesociopath

I am not 100% sure the Scotch Gambit is a real gambit. Where does white go down a pawn?

1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Nf6 5. e5 d5 6. Bb5 Ne4 7. Nxd4 is not a gambit. It can also arise via a Two Knights move order.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Nf6 5. O-O Bc5 is the still rather famous Max Lang Attack, which is again reachable with a Two Knights move order.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Bc5 5. Ng5 Nh6 6. Nxf7 Nxf7 7. Bxf7+ Kxf7 8. Qh5+ g6 9. Qxc5 Material is even.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Bc5 5. c3 Nf6 6. cxd4 (might as well put 6. e5 d5 here as well. This is not a gambit and is a line of the 4. c3 Giuco Piano) 6...Bb4+ 7. Nc3 (7. Bd2 Bxd2 8. Nbd2 d5 not a gambit and a line of the 4. c3 Giuco Piano) 7...Nxe4 8. O-O Bxc3 9. d5 Ne5 10. Qe2 O-O 11. bxc3 Nxc4 12. Qxc4 Nd6 and yes White is a pawn down, we have been fallowing Gashimov-Dominquez Perez 19th Amber Rapids 2010. Which by the way was played with the traditional move order.

So yeah, might as well say the parts of the Scotch Gambit that are really gambits are a small part of the Scotch Gambit.

F0T0T0
Billion_Tactics_Boy wrote:

My favourite gambit is the fried liver attack (surprised nobody mentioned this)

That isn't a gambit.

Ziryab
quadriple wrote:
Billion_Tactics_Boy wrote:

My favourite gambit is the fried liver attack (surprised nobody mentioned this)

That isn't a gambit.

Your illustration is the mainline in the Two Knights (C58-C59 in ECO). The Fried Liver is classified C57, as are the Lolli and Traxler.

The Fried Liver is a gambit. White sacrifices a piece for a pawn and an exposed Black king. The response that you offer is one of several ways to avoid this dangerous gambit. 

FongoOngo

I give the Benko Gambit a go from time to time

aggressivesociopath

@ quadriple

Are you joking? Have you really never seen 7...bxc6 before?

ViktorHNielsen

Maybe the Traxler Counter-Attack (Crazy gambit). I love to show the variations to my friends. They usually say WTF and then: What happened? How the hell did black win this? Indeed the 5. Nxf7 Bxf2+ 6. Kf1 goes crazy sometimes.

F0T0T0
aggressivesociopath wrote:

@ quadriple

Are you joking? Have you really never seen 7...bxc6 before?

I have but meh.

That wasn't part of the main line that I was talking about.

Dark_Falcon
chesshole hat geschrieben:
Pacifique wrote:
Krestez wrote:
Pacifique wrote:
Dark_Falcon wrote:

Oh come on...you cant be serious, if both of you call the Queens Gambit a real gambit...

Obviously you lack knowledge on Queens gambit. Otherwise you knew that there are several sharp gambit systems in Slav defense for example.

Might be, but 1.d4 d5 2.c4 is not an actual gambit. I don't mean to argue with you since you're a NM and obviously know better than me, but those several lines of the Slav Defence are just a little part of the QG.

These "several lines of Slav" are not "just a little part" and are not only possible gambit lines in QG. Lets take this QGA line for example 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e4 e5 4.Nf3 exd4 5.Bc4. A real gambit line with large amount of theory.

Queen's gambit isn't a real gambit.  You can point to specific lines that happen after the Queen's gambit which are gambits but 1.d4 d5 2.c4 isn't a real gambit.  You are committing the fallacy of composition if you think the Queen's gambit is a true gambit.  Krestez and Dark Falcon are right.

You are very arrogant to come into a thread saying 'obviously you lack knowledge' when his point about the Queen's gambit not being a real gambit is a valid one.  It is common knowledge that the Queen's gambit is not a true gambit.

You are welcome chesshole...how can the Queens Gambit be called a real gambit, when 98% of all serious players are declining, because its much better to decline than accepting pawn.

A gambit player takes the risk of being outplayed by the opponent, if he ACCEPTS the gambit.

There is a general principle which nearly everyone knows.

You can only refute a gambit, if you accept it!

This principle doesnt apply to the Queens Gambit, pacific!