Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why do people hate "d4" so much?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #21

Chessdude007

For sure...  perhaps if I was more.. studied, I would do better against d4..  as it is..  I have worked through many chess puzzles and seen a few of the greatest chess games of all time.. but all I ever really took the time to learn from a chess book was that I was to control the centre if I wanted to win games.  This might seem strange but I actually do really well playing Nf3 as a first move.. as Gambit Man says.. whatever works for you

• 24 months ago · Quote · #22

shepi13

They both can be tactical or positional, and many openings are both.

Tactical d4

Tactical e4:

Positional d4:

Positional e4:

And as all tactics come from good positions, all openings are both tactical and positional.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #23

DENVERHIGH

D4: FOR ME IS IGNORANCE ON WHAT TO DO WITH IT.

E4: GIVES ME A CHANCE TO PLAY FINISH THE GAME AND START ANOTHER ONE, WIN OF LOSE.

IT'S REALLY A SHAME, WHEN I TEACH BEGINNING CLASSES I ALWAY FOCUS ON E4.

IF I PLAY A TOTAL BEGINNER, I MIGHT TRY D4.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #24

AnthonyCG

DrSpudnik wrote:

A lot of people who don't like d4 also don't seem to understand e4 either. They seem to think you're supposed to come out on move 1 like a mental patient wielding a meat axe. But the basics are always the same: develop pieces, pressure the center, look for tactical shots and work on your positional advantage.

Meat axes work pretty well.

You just can't do that with a rubber mallet. Laughing

• 24 months ago · Quote · #25

AnthonyCG

BIindside wrote:
    DENVERHIGH wrote:

D4: FOR ME IS IGNORANCE ON WHAT TO DO WITH IT.

E4: GIVES ME A CHANCE TO PLAY FINISH THE GAME AND START ANOTHER ONE WETHER I WIN OF LOSE.

IT'S REALLY A SHAME, WHEN I TEACH BEGINNING CLASSES I ALWAY FOCUS ON E4.

IF I PLAY A TOTAL BEGINNER, I MIGHT TRY D4.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING

THE MUSIC IN HERE IS REALLY LOUD

• 24 months ago · Quote · #26

benzochess

I play d4 all the time. I'm trying to get into e4 but d4 is much easier to play for me. Saying d4 is not tactical is wrong. Its just slower and more controlled of a tactical game.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #27

Helzeth

I've noticed that people with ~1000-1200 rating that play d4 tend to do it simply because they're afraid of calculation and tactics. Not only is this a great mistake a russian would never make, it's detrimental to your chess. Tactics and strategy go hand in hand, you cant assume you'll be able to play a game of chess where you only think in terms of ''oh, I suppose my bishop would be better on the square c4 instead of g2 where it is now due to my e4 pawn blocking it. SO re1 bf1 bc4
    Oh right, he was threatening a fork.

Play e4, ACCEPT THE TACTICS, ACCEPT RUSSIA.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #28

NachtWulf

Speaking of Russian chess players, what's the traditional Russian chess training procedure like? I mean, the origin of the phrase, "every Russian schoolboy knows..."

Unless it's some huge national secret? Sealed

• 24 months ago · Quote · #29

Helzeth

It's no secret, I'll tell you once you're a true russian.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #30

Dark_Falcon

thiskid1 wrote:

d4 is for positional players and e4 is for tactical players

Thats why the Blackmar-Diemer-Gambit starts with 1.d4 d5 2.e4...now i finally know, that iam a positional player...yeah! Cool

• 24 months ago · Quote · #31

hankas

d is for dull, and e is for exuberant.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #32

EprinDark

I play e4, for sicilian defence or scotch. When an opponent is white and plays d4, I start with e7 then c5.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #33

eleanor-the-great

anybody love it when people play queens Gambit???

• 24 months ago · Quote · #34

boringidiot

zagix wrote:

Even grandmasters do not like the somewhat rehearsed and "slow" nature of the queen pawn openings.  

What???????????? Are you joking? 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #35

Morris_W3

Chessdude007 wrote:

Fact is..  the opening is not just about you developing and placing your pieces in the centre, but about preventing your opponent from doing so..  I find d4 far more difficult to play against than e4 because it prevents me from playing e5, thus hindering the development of my pawns and minor pieces...  

I also find 1.d4 rather troublesome.  I just can't seem to nail down the nuances of combatting that opening.  I try the KID or the Benko system but often with mixed results.  I really sort of hate it when I see 1.d4

• 24 months ago · Quote · #36

karikal

1.d4-d5 2.c4-dxc4 3.e4 is a highly tactical opening!!

• 24 months ago · Quote · #37

CHCL

I have started playing the Benoni after mixed results with the KID. Very tactical,quite fun to play.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #38

Bannockburn

Who....yawn...said...that.....yawn again..that, where was I, oh yes....that d4..yawn was b..orr..ing snoring loudly.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #39

NicoloPags

boringidiot wrote:
    zagix wrote:

Even grandmasters do not like the somewhat rehearsed and "slow" nature of the queen pawn openings.  

What???????????? Are you joking? 

d4 isnt always slow the blackmar-diemar isnt slow

• 24 months ago · Quote · #40

NachtWulf

Why is there always an active e4 vs. d4 thread? The original question was answered, so it's about time to close shop and lock this up before bad things happen. With that, I'll stop tracking comments.

Post your reply: