Forums

Why do people hate "d4" so much?

Sort:
RichColorado

D4: FOR ME IS IGNORANCE ON WHAT TO DO WITH IT.

E4: GIVES ME A CHANCE TO PLAY FINISH THE GAME AND START ANOTHER ONE, WIN OF LOSE.

IT'S REALLY A SHAME, WHEN I TEACH BEGINNING CLASSES I ALWAY FOCUS ON E4.

IF I PLAY A TOTAL BEGINNER, I MIGHT TRY D4.

benzochess

I play d4 all the time. I'm trying to get into e4 but d4 is much easier to play for me. Saying d4 is not tactical is wrong. Its just slower and more controlled of a tactical game.

Helzeth

I've noticed that people with ~1000-1200 rating that play d4 tend to do it simply because they're afraid of calculation and tactics. Not only is this a great mistake a russian would never make, it's detrimental to your chess. Tactics and strategy go hand in hand, you cant assume you'll be able to play a game of chess where you only think in terms of ''oh, I suppose my bishop would be better on the square c4 instead of g2 where it is now due to my e4 pawn blocking it. SO re1 bf1 bc4
Oh right, he was threatening a fork.

Play e4, ACCEPT THE TACTICS, ACCEPT RUSSIA.

NachtWulf

Speaking of Russian chess players, what's the traditional Russian chess training procedure like? I mean, the origin of the phrase, "every Russian schoolboy knows..."

Unless it's some huge national secret? Sealed

Helzeth

It's no secret, I'll tell you once you're a true russian.

Dark_Falcon
thiskid1 wrote:

d4 is for positional players and e4 is for tactical players

Thats why the Blackmar-Diemer-Gambit starts with 1.d4 d5 2.e4...now i finally know, that iam a positional player...yeah! Cool

hankas

d is for dull, and e is for exuberant.

EprinDark

I play e4, for sicilian defence or scotch. When an opponent is white and plays d4, I start with e7 then c5.

eleanor-the-great

anybody love it when people play queens Gambit???

boringidiot
zagix wrote:

Even grandmasters do not like the somewhat rehearsed and "slow" nature of the queen pawn openings.  

What???????????? Are you joking? 

Morris_W3
Chessdude007 wrote:

Fact is..  the opening is not just about you developing and placing your pieces in the centre, but about preventing your opponent from doing so..  I find d4 far more difficult to play against than e4 because it prevents me from playing e5, thus hindering the development of my pawns and minor pieces...  

I also find 1.d4 rather troublesome.  I just can't seem to nail down the nuances of combatting that opening.  I try the KID or the Benko system but often with mixed results.  I really sort of hate it when I see 1.d4

karikal

1.d4-d5 2.c4-dxc4 3.e4 is a highly tactical opening!!

CHCL

I have started playing the Benoni after mixed results with the KID. Very tactical,quite fun to play.

Bannockburn

Who....yawn...said...that.....yawn again..that, where was I, oh yes....that d4..yawn was b..orr..ing snoring loudly.

NachtWulf

Why is there always an active e4 vs. d4 thread? The original question was answered, so it's about time to close shop and lock this up before bad things happen. With that, I'll stop tracking comments.

chcri
thiskid1 wrote:

d4 is for positional players and e4 is for tactical players

Good sum up of the situation. I'ma beginner player and well, tactical games are hard for me, so from councils of big players, I decide to choose 1.d4, and I work better. I want to improuve my 1.e4 but it's hard to do it, and I see that GMs emploies 1.d4 for queen's gambit or eventually positionaru games.

chcri
karikal wrote:

1.d4-d5 2.c4-dxc4 3.e4 is a highly tactical opening!!

+1

ChessisGood

I don't hate any opening, except the orangutan.

sluck72

I don't play d4 myself but if they say d4 lead to boring positions it just isn't true. Have them look at the games of Petrosian and Botvinnik. d4 can lead to amazing games. If I knew I could get into non d4 d5 positions I'd play d4 myself. 

cferrel

I used to hate it but now i like it. I like it because I can just play Kings Indian Defence and do it over and over and over. So basically after a while I have KID and its variations basically memorized.