Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why do people hate "d4" so much?

• 15 months ago · Quote · #81

TheGreatOogieBoogie

jurassicmc wrote:

I hate 1.d4 because many players then play 2.e3 3. c3, 4.Bf4 , etc  bored systems, solid but bored without imagination. 

Against 1.d4 i play the magic  1...e5  and i am happy with the board. Englund gambit is the best system to ensure a tactic game.

It is a weak reply, maybe you want the Benko gambit instead? 

• 15 months ago · Quote · #82

dA_pIFSTER

whenever i annotate games i mark anything other than d4 as a blunder for white

• 15 months ago · Quote · #83

Fear_ItseIf

anacapa wrote:

I tend to think all boredom is resolved by winning.  The creation of boredom is also mentioned in  Sun Tzu's Art of War as a valid tactic for winning.  Thus, beware of the boring opponent.

+1

I dont know why people hate on the London so much, I find my london games just as interesting as the Benko, Jaenisch, tromp or hopton games I play.
    Its always interesting to see the small accumulation of mistakes black ususally makes transfer into an advantage for white, and often black has no idea why they gte bad positions.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #84

plutonia

jurassicmc wrote:
    anacapa wrote:

I tend to think all boredom is resolved by winning.  The creation of boredom is also mentioned in  Sun Tzu's Art of War as a valid tactic for winning.  Thus, beware of the boring opponent.

Yes, but i play for fun that is my first aim . I won´t make money winnin in chess. When someone plays systems like Colle or another system where their pieces are 15-20 moves without cross the fourth line,  i  ask myself if really  these guys are playin chess .

As my countryman  GM Miguel Illescas once said : " In past i had fear of losing , when i was willing to lose is when i got my best results."  

I feel the same, I like to play againist d4-c4 but playing against the Colle or the London is just too boring. Especially the Colle tends to give black zero counterplay.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #85

blasterdragon

i personally hate when my opponet plays d4 since i don't get to play the sicilian which i like playing when my opponet plays d4 i have to play a more passive opening like the nimzo

• 15 months ago · Quote · #86

shepi13

Shawshank-Redeemer wrote:

You cant play the parham if you play d4.

You still haven't responded to my line, where black is practically winning.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #87

shepi13

Shawshank-Redeemer wrote:

What line?

In both the parham refutation thread and the 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 thread.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #88

jesterville

I myself prefer 1.d4...but I have been hearing about this "Parham Opening" so much lately, I will need to look see.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #89

blasterdragon

Chessdude007 wrote:

If we are looking at openings from an offensive standpoint, e4 is superior to any other opening... this is why many people don't like d4- or Nf3 for that matter.

why is nf3 not agressive you are already putting a peice out on the first move? also its very flexible as well

Post your reply: