Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

why the Giuoco piano isn't played?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

theidoogy

I played in my life many chess games, also in this site, and in all my short life (13 years) no one played the giuco piano against me. I think the italian game suppose to be a very good and devloping opening, and in this opening giuco piano is one of the best options for simple or even better position for white. I wonder if someone can tell me, why people never played this opening against me?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

mvtjc

We can't know since we are diferent persons, but most probably because it is not as dynamic as the other lines of e4 like the sicilian, ruy lopez, etc.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

theidoogy

by the way, for who doesn't know the guioco piano is this:

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

GM_fishys

I'd like to play it, but players seem to like the philidor and scandinivian and other boring stuff

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

DrSpudnik

The slowness and creepy equality of Giuoco lines led me to the Evans Gambit.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

orchard_littlejoe

It's not just the opening because that in itself in rather boring. It's the variations that follow that can make it more exciting.  

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

mrtnwldrn

how often are you playing  1...........e5?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

fatymid

Guioco Piano is one of the most drawing openings for white imo

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

DrSpudnik

Actually, the statistics show the GP with a decent 40+% win ratio, similar to (even a few points higher than) the Lopez. The slower lines (4...Nf6 5. d3) probably play out a lot like the Lopez lines with d3.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

zxb995511

Weak players tend to play what stronger players (GMs) play. At their level this opening does not squeeze enough advantage for white out of the opening so GMs do not play it. Since they do not play it we do not play it -but it does not mean it is terrible- just not as competetive as other openings.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Probably because it's recommended for beginners, meaning that their book knowledge will mitigate any weak moves they would otherwise make.  For example, without books a beginner may play ...Bb6 when Bb4+ is the only move that fights for equality.  Other openings would create more complicated problems for the beginner that they aren't equipped to solve.  It is recommended by some to play classically even as black, but unless the opponent is playing 1.g4 1.b4 1.g3 1.b3 and maybe 1.c4 (all of which mean that playing 1...e5 will ensure an imbalanced game) I don't see why I should just react to white. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

Samsch

I play it!

Jeesh.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

Samsch

hessmaster wrote:
    Samsch wrote:

I play it!

Jeesh.

Me too

Well, I used to play Sicilian as black, but my coach makes me play this for both colors.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

Samsch

hessmaster wrote:
    Samsch wrote:
    hessmaster wrote:
    Samsch wrote:

I play it!

Jeesh.

Me too

Well, I used to play Sicilian as black, but my coach makes me play this for both colors.

why would your coach make you do such a thing...lol

:P

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

Robbie960

I play it some; some of my best games are started w/ the Giuoco Piano.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

theidoogy

ScorpionPackAttack wrote:

Probably because it's recommended for beginners, meaning that their book knowledge will mitigate any weak moves they would otherwise make.  For example, without books a beginner may play ...Bb6 when Bb4+ is the only move that fights for equality.  Other openings would create more complicated problems for the beginner that they aren't equipped to solve.  It is recommended by some to play classically even as black, but unless the opponent is playing 1.g4 1.b4 1.g3 1.b3 and maybe 1.c4 (all of which mean that playing 1...e5 will ensure an imbalanced game) I don't see why I should just react to white. 

As a beginner i used to play the italian, but other variations like four knights and such. Only when i study openings i decide to understand the idea behind the italian and begind the move of giuoco piano.

Just for you guys to know, i don't play it either, i play usually queen's gambit and sometimes ruy lopez (as white), i don't play this opening, i just don't like this opening, it's too boring and excpected, but i wondered how any player never (never!!!) played it against me.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

NimzoRoy

The Guico Piano arises from 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 - 4.c3 isn't mandatory to make the opening a GP. 

Consider the following stats from ChessBase's 2012 BIG DB (5.5 million games)

3.Bc4         55,000 games         54% winning percentage (W)

3.Bb5 a6   167,000 games         56% (W)   

3.Bb5 ...?  70,000 games         +56% in all lines except 2 (3...f5, 3...g6)

The Game Explorer (Master Games) shows

3.Bb5 66,630
    38.1% 36.8% 25.1%
    3.Bc4 13,710
    38.7% 29.8% 31.5%

The Ruy Lopez is about 3x more popular in the CB BIG DB and 5x more popular in the Game Explorer...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

xxvalakixx

There are 2 reasons.The first is that, e4-e5 openings are not played so often.
    Secondly,it is not give any advantage for black. For example.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

DrSpudnik

Well, I guess that settles that. 1...e5 is for dimwits and so nobody plays it any more, because the Sicilian kicks ass every time.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

ChessCooler

not true e5 is great

Post your reply: