Forums

5 Best Players of All Time

Sort:
shikamaru92

everyone seems to be forgetting reti

needsablanket

@AndyClifton fischer didnt play because they didnt meet his conditions. Karpov even said himself that he would only have 40% chance of winning and fischer would have a 60 % chance of winning

Frankovich73

tal is a boss

The_Gavinator

1. Kasparov

2. Capablanca

3. Fischer

4. Karpov

5. Lasker

gregkurrell

Top 10: Morphy, Steinitz, Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Anand, Carlsen.  

Top 5: hmm...  K + K, Bobby, Capa, Morphy

MorganGray

Kasparov,Fischer,Capablanca, Alekhine, Morphy.

AndyClifton
needsablanket wrote:

@AndyClifton fischer didnt play because they didnt meet his conditions. Karpov even said himself that he would only have 40% chance of winning and fischer would have a 60 % chance of winning

Yeah, right.  I kinda remember that when it was happening.  And his conditions were a bit...controversial, I seem to recall.

Still, who would ever accuse Fischer of being a difficult subject to deal with? Wink

Master_Po

Fischer, Kasparov,Tal,Morphy,Capablanca.

Didn't Fischer accuse the Russians of x-raying his chair to see if something weird was going on there?  perhaps shooting invisible beams at him (Fischer)?  Cool

goldendog
DavyWilliams wrote:

Fischer, Kasparov,Tal,Morphy,Capablanca.

Didn't Fischer accuse the Russians of x-raying his chair to see if something weird was going on there?  perhaps shooting invisible beams at him (Fischer)? 

They did x-ray his chair and inspect the lighting for sinister devices. They found two dead flies.

Master_Po

Nowadays, those 2 dead flies could indeed be bugged. 

BaronDerKilt

Fischer, Kasparov, Karpov, Morphy, Capablanca ...

This was very hard to say, and very hard to leave off players like Tal and Lasker. But my criteria was not champions who were "first among equals" as Botvinnik once said. But rather stood head and shoulders above their rivals, and were virtually unbeatable during their prime.

AndyClifton

And you picked Karpov and left out Lasker?! lol

sanan22

1-Petrosian

2-Kasparov

3-Karpov/capablanca

4-Fischer

5-Alekhine

TonyH

you might want to take a closer look at Lasker if your crieteria is "first among equals" Lasker was WC longer than anyone else steinitz as well. Lasker was phenomenal he just produced results.

Mine would be who changed the paradigm of how people viewed chess

1. Morphy Teaching the start of modern principles that good positions first then tactics and attack second. (He greatly influenced Steintz who in turn influenced Lasker)

2. Alekhine (he taught us the importance of serious study and work to overcome weaknesses. Talent can be beaten with work! he influenced everyone in modern chess. This to me sounds so much like Fischer I left him off the list , Deep theory, fight for the intitative and work on becoming a universal player etc. Fischer was just the apex of this approach just a lot better at it than everyone else. A chess pro if you will)

3. Kasparov who essentially helped with database chess. He opened up chess study to the amateur player. The format that helped spread instant access to games around the world. Chess study became much faster and easier leading to young and younger GMs. the use of computers led to a revelation in chess and Kasparov was the first to embrace it and show the power of them at the highest levels.

5. Botvinnik for formalizing chess instruction and learning. 

they arent really in a paritcular order

goldendog

1) James Leonard

2) Handsome Hans Berliner

3) Art Buchwald

4) George Treysman

5) Franklin Young

73) Petrosian

ParvezAnsar

kasparov

fisher

karpov