Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Anatoly Karpov

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

batgirl

This is meant to be a photo-essay of uncommon pictures of Anatoly Karpov.

Young Karpov -

at 12 years old.

Karpov-Geller
    -

Karpov-Vaganyan -

Karpov-Korchnoi -

Karpov-Spassky -

Karpov-Kasparov -

Karpov, the farmer!

Karpov, the pool shark!

Karpov with Max Euwe -

Karpov with Mikhail Tal -

Various other photos -

at the Pioneers

With Karparov and Margaret Thatcher
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #2

FakePlasticPlayer

These pictures are great, thank you!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

billwall

Karpov and Bill Wall 1989

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

RainbowRising

FakePlasticPlayer wrote:

These pictures are great, thank you!

+1

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

batgirl

I really like the newspaper/magazine clipping of Karpov with Dali. They seem like very different personalities.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

sparowe

Have you seen the YouTube video of Karpov at home at and in training, which seems to have been made as a propaganda piece, but has a quaint 50's tone (for US people like us)  Tolya plays a practice blitz game and his expressions are neat.  M  == NC

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

UnratedGamesOnly

As a long time Korchnoi fan, because i found his games more exciting i never appreciated Karpov until recently.  After playing over his games, and the way he strangulates his opponents ive grown to be a HUGE fan. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

jesterville

I would imagine that this is what his opponents saw looking over the 64 squares-

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

damongross

Thanks for the great pics!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

jesterville

Here's one with Ulf Andersson and very young Karpov.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

jesterville

Thanks "batgirl" for highlighting one of my fav chess masters. I always thought that Karpov did not get as much credit as he deserved. I think it may have been due to his passive personality. Kasparov got all the attention...even tough their battles together was only separated by 1/2 point (if my memory serves).

He is 3rd on my "greatest list"...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

NimzoRoy

Great collection, thanks for sharing.

He looks like he had the same dentist as the James Bond villain "Jaws" in the picture with Salvador Dali.

I like the one of him shaking hands with Kasparov (in a white suit).

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

Javan64

I really like the photo of the 6 men.  Although my eyes were immediately drawn to Tal (wonder who he's giving the 'evil eye' to?), it took a moment to notice that only 1 man has his  'eyes on the prize.'

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

indurain

Gizehks-Practitioner wrote:
    jesterville wrote:

Thanks "batgirl" for highlighting one of my fav chess masters. I always thought that Karpov did not get as much credit as he deserved. I think it may have been due to his passive personality. Kasparov got all the attention...even tough their battles together was only separated by 1/2 point (if my memory serves).

He is 3rd on my "greatest list"...

( 3 colours ) Yessss... I already thought ( about ) the same.

Gray: That's true. If you play like 40 games Remise against Kasparov, there is not one really better in ' honor ' anymore, such as many want to emotionally state with Robert James Fischer.

It's like with pro cycling; one comes 00:00:40 of a second later over the finish - there cannot described who deserves more ' honor ' anymore.

And... I personally prefer the Waiting, and Solid & Strategical style of Karpov than the Tactical & Dynamic style of Kasparov; but that's subjective.

They both deserve respect, that's true.

Karpov should have also played against Deep thought and Deep blue.
    Stratagy is Engine's weakness. 

It are Numbers & Statistics in this World

Hopefully Cancellara will win Milan San Remo tomorrow by more than 00:00.4 secs!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

AnthonyCG

Karpov the farmer looks like a Beattle.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #16

Roma60

one more tournaments then anyother player one of the best al time players

• 22 months ago · Quote · #17

indurain

Karpov was the Central Committee's man for years and years. I despised him back then.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #18

adamstask

AnthonyCG wrote:

Karpov the farmer looks like a Beattle.

haha, perfect! Totally. and in the pic with dali he looks like a young Mick Jagger. 

someday I'm going to have to study his games. I think there's a lot to learn there. There's a lovely little video on youtube of Karpov being beaten by a young Carlson; Karpov says lovely things about Magnus, that he has ideas that are unusual for such a small boy; its endearing. 

• 6 months ago · Quote · #19

Ziryab

I've always been fond of the photo of Karpov, the farmer, carrying a scythe (posted here by billwall). That's one of several interesting photos in Anatoly Karpov: Chess is My Life (1980). The page just prior has Karpov carrying a fishing pole and a nice fish.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #20

5xadrezmemoria7

This is is not my champ. My beloved Forum is "Chess Books and Equipment", but Karpov deserves:

Bronstein, Mikenas, Tal, Toukmakov, ?

Post your reply: