Forums

Aronian versus Kramnik

Sort:
trysts

I think they moved the date for the next candidates tournament to 2013.

theoreticalboy

Posts 23-27 are a truly staggering exchange of ideas.  I hope you two can slow down for us plebs in future.

trysts
theoreticalboy wrote:

Posts 23-27 are a truly staggering exchange of ideas.  I hope you two can slow down for us plebs in future.

It seems like Hemingway dialogueLaughing

jesterville

I also love matchplay, but I think 6 games are way too short for any result...I predict a draw...straight down the middle. I don't any of them will take any changes...since one lost means the match.

...glad to see that there are chess players who can also appreciate a good game of football also...Real Madrid all the way.

trysts
jesterville wrote:

I also love matchplay, but I think 6 games are way too short for any result...I predict a draw...straight down the middle. I don't any of them will take any changes...since one lost means the match.

...glad to see that there are chess players who can also appreciate a good game of football also...Real Madrid all the way.

You don't think either player will play risky? This is the first match between two human players rated over 2800. Both players drew a lot during the candidates match last year. It's a chance for the winner to spark interest for a friendly match against Carlsen, I hope!Smile

trysts

Is that an opening?

theoreticalboy

lol it's funny when people think the Royalists are going to finally beat Barcelona.

trysts

And Bracelona against Chelsea in a few days! I've never seen Chelsea play.

trysts
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

a variation against the ruy lopez, was considered dubious until kramnik advocated it with some good results

Oh yeah, the Berlin defence.

theoreticalboy

They don't play, per se.  Just sort of hoof and barge and run.

trysts

Laughing

theoreticalboy

Or in the inestimable words of Eduardo Galeano:

"Playing seriously and playing in series, is that really playing? According to those who understand the root meaning of words, to play is to joke and health is when the body is as free as can be. The controlled effectiveness of mechanical repetitions, enemy of health, is making football sick."

And;

"These are days of obligatory uniformity, in football and everything else. Never has the world been so unequal in the opportunities it offers and so equalizing in the habits it imposes: in this end-of-century world, whoever doesn't die of hunger dies of boredom."

trysts
theoreticalboy wrote:

Or in the inestimable words of Eduardo Galeano:

"Playing seriously and playing in series, is that really playing? According to those who understand the root meaning of words, to play is to joke and health is when the body is as free as can be. The controlled effectiveness of mechanical repetitions, enemy of health, is making football sick."

And;

"These are days of obligatory uniformity, in football and everything else. Never has the world been so unequal in the opportunities it offers and so equalizing in the habits it imposes: in this end-of-century world, whoever doesn't die of hunger dies of boredom."

Hmmm...I smoked one right before I started reading this. Is it about football?

theoreticalboy

Yeah, or co-ed softball, my memory fails me.

rnunesmagalhaes
NimzoRoy wrote:

(...) Classical time control will be used, with a new twist for the show – if the game ends in a draw in under three hours, the players have to play a rapid game (25 minutes with a 10 second increment). (...)

That sounds interesting, should be fun. I didn't know that 25/10 games counted as "rapid".

jesterville

This so called "training match" is rated...so why should any of them play risky when one win could seal the match victory? There is no real incentive to risk it all...remember they both have already been paid to show up. If anyone does win, I think it will be because of a blunder rather than any risky play.

CerebralAssassin

dunno who will win this...but am rooting for Aronian,the future world champ Tongue out

AndyClifton

Eduardo Galeano's main source of inspiration:

trysts

Here's a video of the Armageddon game between Aronian and Kramnik in Shanghai, 2010. During the last few moves of the game Kramnik knocks a couple pieces over, Aronian gets a little pissed and tells Kramnik about it. This is high drama in the chess worldWink

http://blip.tv/bilbao-masters-final/armageddon-4118660

trysts
Here is an interview with Aronian, where we learn that one does not speak well while eating their own footWink

Mr Aronian

Interview by Christian Schwager, Markus Lotter

Mr Aronjan, since the beginnings of the game men have dominated chess. Why is that?

Women cannot play chess.

But that is no explanation. Wasn’t it your sister who taught you chess?

That is true, but women are generally much too emotional for chess. If they want to play really well they have to change their character and suppress their natural instincts. They have to take on male qualities. After all chess is a rough and hard game.

Are all chess players machos?

As a chess player one has to be able to control one’s feelings, one has to be as cold as a machine. We men do not let ourselves be, let us say, seduced by our emotions and feelings. But there is a paradox in chess.

Which is?

The paradox is that the best chess players are the most emotional ones.

The logical conclusion is that you have to set free your feminine side in order to reach the top ranks in the game – just like yourself?

Perhaps a little. One must be very passionate and romantic if one wants to create a masterpiece that is to last for centuries. That is my personal approach, which some players do not understand and even smile at. But I don’t care. For me creating a masterpiece is more important than just to win.

To return to women: what is wrong with their logic? Is it not good enough for world class chess?

Yes, I know there is a myth that chess is a very logical game. But chess is full of spontaneous decisions and determination. With chess you cannot even practice logical thinking. Many people also believe that chess and mathematics are closely connected. But we chess players are not necessarily good at maths.