Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Best 10 Player Of All time


  • 5 years ago · Quote · #1

    nizamious

    Hi ladies and gentle people,

     Who do u think are the worlds  best 10 player of all time? I for instance researched in internet and came up with these reults, of course these results are debatable. Capablanca and Kasparov should get 1st and second respectivly. There had been research that kasparov is slightly better than capablanca in some cases. And 3rd place I think should go to Botvinik 3 times world champion. Stienez comes 4th, Alekhine 5th, Karpov 6th, Fischer comes 7th,Larsen comes next, Nezmetdinov a player which I do not know about comes next , and lasker one of my favourite players comes 10th. U may think why Paul Morphy didnt come to top ten,the person who wrote this article explains that Morphy didnt win strong enough players, of couse it is possible for him to be the greatest player of all time, It's like telling Kasparov is great with only playing with IMs. Anyway I want u guys to come up with top 10 players that u think r greatest of all time.  Wink 

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #2

    cosmango

    me

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #3

    nandamgmg

    ME ??????

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #4

    Odie_Spud

    While his findings may be debatable Jeff Sonas’ Chessmetrics website offers interesting analysis: http://db.chessmetrics.com/

    Be sure to visit his old site too at: http://db.chessmetrics.com/OldIndex.html

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #6

    crazylasker

    my opinion

    capa,kasparov, fischer, karpov, spassky, smyslov, tal, alekhine, lasker, petrosian

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #7

    SmokeJS

    Sure, you've got your Kasparov, Fischer, Capablanca and Morphy etc..., all wonderful players, but for my money nobody beats Grandpappy Driftwood!

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #8

    WorldChessChampion

    IMO

    1. Fischer - If he had continued to play he would be without question number one. He dominated his opponents including as I remember a couple of 6-0 match wins over Taimanov and Larsen in the 1971 candidates matches.

    2. Kasparov - Dominated world class chess for over 15 years and achieved the highest elo rating ever with 2851.

    3. Karpov - If it hadn't been for Kasparov, Karpov would have been World Champion probably until Kramnik or Anand came along.

    4. Botvinnik - As previously mentioned, he was World Champion three times, he had probably the best endgame technique of his temporaries and dominated them for over a decade.

    5. Capablanca - Didn't study openings but still completely destroyed all his competition until Alekhine came and snatched the title away. It's interesting that Alekhine tried to avoid a rematch with Capablanca by playing Bogoljubow and Euwe. Maybe he knew he would lose to a Capablanca looking to reclaim his crown.

    6. Korchnoi - IMO the best player to never win the world championship, he was prevented from the title by the surfacing of Karpov and Kasparov who held the title up until 2000.

    7. Lasker - Knew how to use psychology over the board to his advantage. Sometimes, he would play purposefully bad moves to confuse his opponent. It may seem like this wouldn't work in top level chess, but he did hold the world championship for 27 years, a year shorter than Kasparov, Karpov, and Fischer combined.

    8. Petrosian - One of the hardest players to defeat, he was the epitome of positional chess.

    9. Tal - Crazy sacrifices, a tactical genius; his games always appeased the crowd.

    10. Alekhine - The only person in the history of the world championship to die with the title, his span as world champion was interupted only by Euwe in somewhat of a fluke.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #9

    mattattack99

    1. Kasparov

    2. Anand

    3. Kramnik

    4. Karpov

    5. Korchnoi

    6. Fischer

    7. Smyslov

    8. Alekhine

    9. Botvinnik

    1o. Capablanca

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #10

    Daniel3

    My top ten list: (This is not neccessarily my order of favorite players, but how strong I believe they were.)

    1.Garry Kasparov

    2.Mikhail Botvinnik

    3.Mikhail Tal

    4.Tigran Petrosian

    5.Bobby Fischer

    6.Anatoly Karpov

    7.Vladimir Kramnik

    8.Alexander Alekhine

    9.Jose Raul Capablanca

    10.Siegbert Tarrasch

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #11

    boyerbcb77

    I agree with world chess champion.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #12

    careyfan

    Daniel3 wrote:

    My top ten list: (This is not neccessarily my order of favorite players, but how strong I believe they were.)

    1.Garry Kasparov

    2.Mikhail Botvinnik

    3.Mikhail Tal

    4.Tigran Petrosian

    5.Bobby Fischer

    6.Anatoly Karpov

    7.Vladimir Kramnik

    8.Alexander Alekhine

    9.Jose Raul Capablanca

    10.Siegbert Tarrasch


    Interesting that you'd rate Petrosian over Fischer.  Fischer beat him pretty handily in their match.

    Although I certainly wouldn't argue that he doesn't deserve elite ranking.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #13

    nizamious

    Im suprised that most of the people didnt put morphy into top ten

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #14

    jpd303

    Lasker, i did a small essay on why i believe lasker is number one its posted out there somewhere

    Kasparov

    Fischer

    Capa

    Morphy/Spassky

    Botvinik

    Anand/Kramnik/Topalov (time will tell)

    Alekhine

    Korchnoi

    the best of the rest include...Steintz, Tarrasch, Marshall, Pilsbury, Nimzo, Bogo, Smyslov, Petrosian, Keres, Tal, Karpov, Bronstein, Larsen, Ivanchuck, Geller, Gulko, Adolf Andersseen, Philador, that french guy LaBordanis (sp?) and Judit Polgar...lets not forget the greatest amature of all time MAX EUWE!

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #15

    nerdie

    Fischer

    Kasparov

    Karpov

    Morphy

    Tal

    Capablanca

    Alekhine

    Spassky

    Botvinik

    Nimzovich

    had too many on my list. I had a hard time deciding who's in and who's out.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #16

    killthequeen

    um... Capablanca went 8 consecutive years undefeated which was pretty good. Fischer was a loser- he won the title then REFUSED to defend it because he was afraid of losing it so in a way, Fischer barely deserves top ten recognition even though he was brilliant. Lasker is one of my favourites too.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #17

    nerdie

    killthequeen wrote:

    um... Capablanca went 8 consecutive years undefeated which was pretty good. Fischer was a loser- he won the title then REFUSED to defend it because he was afraid of losing it so in a way, Fischer barely deserves top ten recognition even though he was brilliant. Lasker is one of my favourites too.


    Fischer had his reasons, I believe. besides he was willing to defend his title. he had games with Boris Spassky in Japan (when he was imprisoned). I believe he deserves to be recognized.

  • 5 years ago · Quote · #18

    nizamious

    killthequeen wrote:

    um... Capablanca went 8 consecutive years undefeated which was pretty good. Fischer was a loser- he won the title then REFUSED to defend it because he was afraid of losing it so in a way, Fischer barely deserves top ten recognition even though he was brilliant. Lasker is one of my favourites too.

    I do not agree with u.  The last championship fischer played was held in a country wich America banned to go to, but Fischer disobeyed and went to play the championship and became the world champion by beating Boris Spassky. then He had to flee because The USA government was after him. he died recently I think in iceland or some other country. U should see the film searching for Bobby Fischer then ull understand.


  • 5 years ago · Quote · #19

    jpd303

    nizamious wrote:

    I do not agree with u.  The last championship fischer played was held in a country wich America banned to go to, but Fischer disobeyed and went to play the championship and became the world champion by beating Boris Spassky. then He had to flee because The USA government was after him. he died recently I think in iceland or some other country. U should see the film searching for Bobby Fischer then ull understand.


    i don't think Bobby was banned from going to Iceland, actually i believe that Henry Kissinger and Dick Nixon condoned Fischer's trip to play Spassky!  they saw it as a east vs west, USA vs USSR, Capitalism vs Communism...not chess champion vs chess challenger! it wasn't until 1992 that Fischer and Spassky played again, nothing was at stake other than the prize money and bragging rights...yes Fischer wasn't allowed by US law to play that match but he clearly showed his disdain for US politics by spitting on the ultimatum during a press conference.  and what does the movie searching for bobby Fischer have to do with ANYTHING other than Josh Waitzkin's early chess development? 
  • 5 years ago · Quote · #20

    nizamious

    jpd303 wrote:
    nizamious wrote:

    I do not agree with u.  The last championship fischer played was held in a country wich America banned to go to, but Fischer disobeyed and went to play the championship and became the world champion by beating Boris Spassky. then He had to flee because The USA government was after him. he died recently I think in iceland or some other country. U should see the film searching for Bobby Fischer then ull understand.


    i don't think Bobby was banned from going to Iceland, actually i believe that Henry Kissinger and Dick Nixon condoned Fischer's trip to play Spassky!  they saw it as a east vs west, USA vs USSR, Capitalism vs Communism...not chess champion vs chess challenger! it wasn't until 1992 that Fischer and Spassky played again, nothing was at stake other than the prize money and bragging rights...yes Fischer wasn't allowed by US law to play that match but he clearly showed his disdain for US politics by spitting on the ultimatum during a press conference.  and what does the movie searching for bobby Fischer have to do with ANYTHING other than Josh Waitzkin's early chess development? 

     The match was played in iceland and i meerly pointed out that the film searching for bobby fischer states that fischer wasnt afraid to keep his title, but the politcs made him flee to other countries.


Back to Top

Post your reply: