Forums

Carlsen withdraws from world championship

Sort:
SchuBomb

Edit: Don't be fooled, this thread is from the previous WC cycle, Conflagration_Planet is just being an idiot by posting in this thread, knowing people will get the wrong impression. Just don't post here.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6789

Personally, I say good on him. I don't agree with his idea that the top player shouldn't get seeded into the final (I quite like it as a title, rather than a tournament, with title defences), but I do agree with him that the world championship organisers need to shape up. I admire Carlsen for not being blinded by the desire for the title, and deciding to bow out of the cycle.

avs_fan06

Good job Magnus Carlsen for standing up for his believes and not just focusing on the title although it is most sad that he can't participate in the WCC

kmisho

I know this thread is getting old, but I've been thinking about this a lot and finally know what I want to say.

I totally agree with Carlsen that the FIDE cycle is stupid. But I also think the VERY LAST thing he should have picked on was the very old chess tradition of being required to take the crown from the reigning king. Someone pointed out that there are other mano y mano sports that have the same structure, like boxing.

Someone probably also pointed out that there are other mano y mano sports that do not have this structure, like tennis. But, unlike chess, the rules for breaking ties game-by-game and set-by-set have been part of the rules of tennis for more than a century.

So maybe what Carlsen wants is ultimately the fairest, but I still think there are many more obvious and less controversial problems with the cycle that could be settled first.

Frendu
Its simple....carlsen knows that beatng anand in a series of chmpnship matches is extremely tough job...its quite diffrnt than beatng lower rated players in tournament matches...and sometimes he also gets beaten by lower rated playrs as happnd in recent tata steel where he lost twice...anand lives like a champion by nt losng 2 any talented player...and losin 2 anand will cause a full stop to carlsen's market value...which is secure nw as he is nt partcipatng....AND NW IF ANAND WINS CHAMPNSIP EVERY1 WILL SAY THAT CARLSEN WOULD HAVE WON IF HE HAD PARTICPATD.BCOZ THATS HUMAN TENDANCY...hats off to carlsen 4 foolng every1
DrSpudnik

It sounds like Morphy - Staunton all over again. Surprised

DrSpudnik

Only Fischer was an actual world champion.

gorgeous_vulture

And dressed better

Conflagration_Planet

Laughing This will get peoples attention.

ProfBlunderer

Stupid kid

Conflagration_Planet

Laughing

ProfBlunderer

What's that [Expletive removed my moderator] emoticon? you post in a 2 years old topic only to troll. What a idiot

[Please watch your language and try to be a little more respectful] 

ProfBlunderer

If he necropost on a 2 years old post he is a idiot. I don't carry away, simply say that he is a idiot kid.

trysts

It did get your attentionLaughing

FancyKnight

I have been trolled.

Conflagration_Planet
ProfBlunderer wrote:

What's that [Expletive removed my moderator] emoticon? you post in a 2 years old topic only to troll. What a idiot

[Please watch your language and try to be a little more respectful] 

It's three years old. Can't you count?

Conflagration_Planet
ucanthandlethetruth wrote:

I was kind of thinking it was ridiculous that the server stores irrelevant information until it's the size of mt. Everest, little of which was chess related.

Some of it's good.

Conflagration_Planet
ucanthandlethetruth wrote:

if you ever find it

True.

SandyJames

digging out old threads! Laughing

Conflagration_Planet

Yep. :)

Conflagration_Planet

I like buzzards with big bunions.