Forums

If Magnus Carlsen Wins Anand, How Long Will He Remain WCH?

Sort:
blueemu
jazzTUNE wrote:

However, as was proven by the last tournament, Carlsen folds under pressure.

A couple of games doesn't "prove" anything.

mdennehy
learningthemoves wrote:

Actually, I believe he'd still only be second. The world record for highest I.Q. was broken recently.

Neat trick. Guinness stopped keeping records of IQs in 1990 because you can't reliably measure them. 

And vos Savant was 228 at the time, so she'd have the world record if they were still keeping it (there's an 11-year-old indian girl who made the papers recently but she was listed as 225 -- but frankly, the tests can't really distinguish between scores that close, not really).

As to gaining 30 points in every tournament... er, no. You can gain 20-30 points just by practicing the test or being born in the right country (there are linguistic and cultural biases in the tests) but gain 30-odd points repeatedly by just doing any one thing? No, the brain doesn't work that way.

restinpeace

decade(s)...

Javan64
EN-johnpeter101 wrote:

hes gonna be beaten by me :P

In what alternate universe?

learningthemoves
mdennehy wrote:
learningthemoves wrote:

Actually, I believe he'd still only be second. The world record for highest I.Q. was broken recently.

Neat trick. Guinness stopped keeping records of IQs in 1990 because you can't reliably measure them. 

And vos Savant was 228 at the time, so she'd have the world record if they were still keeping it (there's an 11-year-old indian girl who made the papers recently but she was listed as 225 -- but frankly, the tests can't really distinguish between scores that close, not really).

As to gaining 30 points in every tournament... er, no. You can gain 20-30 points just by practicing the test or being born in the right country (there are linguistic and cultural biases in the tests) but gain 30-odd points repeatedly by just doing any one thing? No, the brain doesn't work that way.

What "neat trick" are you referring to?

Supposedly, that old record was broken last year unless the report was inaccurate?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-886578

McGeeTa
oneeight7even wrote:
jazzTUNE wrote:

Well my opinion is that Annad gains 30 IQ points every time he plays a championship match. He will be much stronger player than he is now, when he plays Carlsen. Annad much  better when under pressure. However, as was proven by the last tournament, Carlsen folds under pressure. I pick Annad to win and and defend the title successfully. 

Interesting comment. Anand had played in a WCH 6 times (1995, 2000, 2008, 2010, 2012). So that's an additional 150 I.Q. added on top of his base I.Q. Let us just assume that he had the avearge I.Q. of a U.S. citizen which is around 90, Anand's total I.Q. would be 240. He'd should be in the Guiness World Of Records for Highest I.Q. test score, 42 points ahead of the person in 2nd place with the highest I.Q.

I didn't mean literally “he gained 30 IQ points". I meant it figuratively. Meaning, he plays considerably better in championship matches, than he does in general GM chess tournaments. He handles the pressure of championship matches better than anyone else, which is one of the reasons he became the world champion. It’s like Annad magically gets a CPU and RAM upgrade only when he plays world championship level matches. However Carlsen, as proven by his last tournament mental crash at the end, can’t quite deal with the mental pressure. Annad will successfully defend his title against Carlsen. 

fabelhaft
jazzTUNE wrote:
Carlsen, as proven by his last tournament mental crash at the end, can’t quite deal with the mental pressure.

Have Carlsen play a 12 game match against Gelfand while Anand plays the Candidates and we'll see who does best :-)

king_nothing1

I don't think Carlsen will ever win WC. If I have studied him well and as somebody here mentioned, I doubt if carlsen has that hunger and patience to win WC. If Carlsen somehow lose this championship and loses in the next candidatde tournament ( he almost lost the previous one), it will be very difficult for him to make a comeback.

Anand worked for years and persevere despiet losing and then he became a chess player. Winning tournaments is one is  thing and playing world championship is another. Ask Gelfand.

Lets hope we get to see an amazing match.

Oecleus

I think in modern times everything is so accurate that often times it takes a bit of luck to win matches with the massive amount of draws that end up happening.

I think he will beat anand, maybe beat the next challenger, but eventually he will lose it and get it back again. It seems like modern chess makes the world championship title go back and forth between the best players (as no player is VASTLY more stronger than the two below him.

alec85

If Carlsen beats Anand possibly decades I forsee him having a very long career and reign like Wilhelm Steinitz and Emmanuel Lasker.