Forums

IQ and Chess: The Real Relationship

Sort:
Chesseract557
leemeadowcroft wrote:

Your understanding of IQ is flawed. IQ only measures your 'potential' to excel in any given field. The IQ you are born with is the same as the one you die with, it has been proven that it can't be trained or improved. It affects your ability to learn things, understand things, solve problems etc, hence the capacity of a person to excel at chess is higher for those with a higher IQ, of that there is no doubt. However IQ, being all about potential, still requires the person to put in the effort and hard work to realise that potential. Your IQ score is also dependent on the type of test so the actual score is irrelevant, only the percentile score on any given test e.g. top 2%.

As it happens, I recently had a formal test at the age of 36 and have decided to take up chess again after longing for something to challenge me and scoring well on the test. Haven't played regularly since I was about 16!

Basically you're saying: "Live with the IQ, die with the IQ"

Certain factors can actually harm your IQ over time though. Examples include smoking, not sleeping enough for a long time, and other things that can lead to or worsen neurological decline. A lot of IQ tests are also inaccurate, doing one IQ test with some answers then doing the test again with the same answers can give you different results for each test even though you gave the exact same answers.

SteamGear
Stauntonmaster wrote:

People who do not have natural talent and high IQ keep bringing up this justification that IQ is 2% and effort 98% which is a case of psychological delusion. I sympathise with all those millions of chess club players who have spent their whole life practicing, practicing and practicing without ever reaching master level. All great chess players in their interviews admitted that they had special talent which helped them reach high levels. People can watch Fischer and Carlsen’s interviews as examples.

Natural talent isn't something that can be controlled. Carlsen, for example, has a phenomenal memory. Morphy did, as well. Luck of the draw.

But for the rest of us mortals, effort and dedication is a controllable factor. Fischer, for example, obviously had talent, but it was his work ethic that put him over the top. He was obsessive with chess, to an incredible degree.

He put in the long hours (literally, spending twelve hours a day or more on chess). He even learned Russian for the sole purpose of gaining access to more study materials. And all the effort clearly paid off.

A lot of players hit a wall in their improvement, that's true. Usually, that's where coaching can help (if one has access to it).

DjonniDerevnja

My father was intelligent. One year he subscribed on Readers Digest: There was an IQ test in the first issue.  He scored ca 160 (i dont remember excactly). One year later there was a new IQ -test, and his IQ had fallen with 100 points. He realized that he got so stupid reading Readers Digest, that he cancelled the subscription. After that he must

have got much of his IQ back, because I remember him as an intelligent man.

superchessmachine

A long standing arguement

superchessmachine

That I care nothing for

WalangAlam

In my experience there is more correlation between Chess and common sense than Chess and IQ scores. I wonder why there is no study of that, perhaps because common sense isn't that common?

MickinMD

Wow!  A very detailed article with great points.

This is anecdotal stuff, but some of the best players on the high school chess team I coached did not have high IQ's, but they were good at visual organization and pattern recognition.

wadoodullah

Other factors are not included in article such as

1 chess starting age

2 coaching

3 environment

For example I tested my self through various IQ tests and my IQ is at least 140

I started chess at the age of 17 and worked hard on it at least 5000 hours

I live in Pakistan where most people don't like chess. 

My maximum elo rating is only 1800 though I am first 30 players of my country in daily chess.

If I have born in some chess playing country I definitely have start at age of 7 and I could be at least 2300 level after same effort

OldPatzerMike

The September 2018 issue of Chess Life has an article by Soltis on this topic. After trashing the notion that intelligence correlates with chess achievement, time and again, he finishes the article with a quote from the famous correspondence player C.J.S. Purdy: “Superior skill at chess does not indicate superior intelligence; it only indicates superior skill at chess.”

Laskersnephew

"The IQ you are born with is the same as the one you die with, it has been proven that it can't be trained or improved. "

Empirically, this is simply false. The work of James R Flynn and others disproved that assertion years ago.

SeniorPatzer

"This could lead to developments to help children increase their abilities to deal with problems outside of chess and IQ tests."

How so?

Laskersnephew

It's a spame! of a gort! Either term is correct

PetraGompa

IQ is only an aspect of intelligence, a clever article about Emotionnal intelligence :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

Ziryab

Would like to see you incorporate this more recent work: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289616301593?via%3Dihub