Forums

People who think they were winning every game!

Sort:
ShyamGopal

I hate it,Sad thing is it happens the most in OTB.Wherever you go whenever you go first thing u hear is I should have won this game but............... and I stop listening

EN-mapquestboy
Likhit1 wrote:

I've seen a lot of people say"Oh,I was completely winning but made a silly error and managed to lose'' and similar stuff when they hadn't even equalised in the game!This really annoys me a lot.Just get over the fact that you were not winning,you made a lot of mistakes and try to improve on them instead of making stories about how u were completely winning against a person rated 300-400 points above you.Have any of you guys heard thiis?If so,then what are your opinions about it?

I faced a guy called dh888. He was the biggest trsh talker. And then I won.

nimzovitch2013

Just tell em that maybe they should think about just getting worse positions so that their opponents will lose the won game. Choose openings that will place them into a worse middlegame, and the opponents into a better middlegame. Wink

Likhit1
EN-mapquestboy wrote:
Likhit1 wrote:

I've seen a lot of people say"Oh,I was completely winning but made a silly error and managed to lose'' and similar stuff when they hadn't even equalised in the game!This really annoys me a lot.Just get over the fact that you were not winning,you made a lot of mistakes and try to improve on them instead of making stories about how u were completely winning against a person rated 300-400 points above you.Have any of you guys heard thiis?If so,then what are your opinions about it?

I faced a guy called dh888. He was the biggest trsh talker. And then I won.

Has nothing to do with this thread.

InfiniteFlash

When you get your butt handed to you for the MOST (90% or more) of the game (there are exceptions), you deserve to have a boomerang whipped at you if you said "I was winning", because why didn't you win then?

Oh it is because you suck more than your opponent.

Having that much stubborness is a bit excessive, even for me. I am pretty stubborn, but having a slight advantage in the opening, and then getting outplayed for the rest of the game, should really teach you something...that your positional chess needs addressing...and perhaps your behavior if you reiterate your stupid comment that you were winning. 

My teacher is the most stubborn mule, so I have to deal with stuff like this, but he is the best case scenario of this where he eventually admits he was worse, or even lost...imagine dealing with an opponent like this where they are a bull.

gambitattax

I was once in a winning position against a 1908 FIDE guy but made 1 big blunder and lost. I felt like I was winning.

Likhit1
Randomemory wrote:

When you get your butt handed to you for the entire game (there are exceptions), you deserve to have a boomerang whipped at you if you said "I was winning", because why didn't you win then?

Oh it is because you suck more than your opponent.

Having that much stubborness is a bit excessive, even for me. I am pretty stubborn, but having a slight advantage in the opening, and then getting outplayed for the rest of the game, should really teach you something...that your positional chess needs addressing...and perhaps your behavior if you reiterate your stupid comment that you were winning. 

My teacher is the most stubborn mule, so I have to deal with stuff like this, but he is the best case scenario of this...imagine dealing with an opponent like this.

I've dealt with many such opponents.Sometimes when my younger opponents lose against me,they are all upset an go cryin about how completely they were dominating me and a slight slip led to their downfall while they were not even close.It annoys the shit out of me.

jakefusaro

gambitattax

lol

JM3000

In a club level many times the game switch the advantatge to one side to other side and switch again. In many games in a specific moment you can obtain advantatge, small advantatge or equality.

If you are lucky with the false argument: my position was better/equal/good/one paws up/etc probably you have a "point" to hold. However this isn't the way for improve.   (when I say you I don't refer to any guy)

losingmove

baddogno wrote:

Yeah, that's one of IM Danny Rensch's pet peeves also.  "Dude, like I was totally winning, and then this one bad move".  You can hear that after every tournament and 99.99% of the time it's total nonsense.  Losing moves come from losing positions.  

Not always. Sometimes it's true. You clinch defeat from the jaws of victory. Look at my most recent loss vs '7levels' :)

username_removed6354

um.... sometimes it is that you just slip the chance of your win....

chesspartha

people do this for a good reason:so that they can excuse themselves(not others) and not to give themselves up.I should agree it is wrong but atleast it is good to say something good about the game.it makes them psychologically stronger but does not improve the game.

patzermike
It is natural enough for amateurs to slightly overrate their positions. Not out of false optimism, but simply out of incorrect evaluation. After all I seek a certain configuration because I think, rightly or wrongly, that it favors me. I am more likely to get the position if my opponent disagrees with my judgement and hence doesn't try to prevent it.
Ronald_Aprianto
jakefusaro wrote:

gg