Forums

The Best Player Never to Become World Champion?

Sort:
hankm

Just thought I'd open this up for discussion. Who was the best player in history who never got to be world champion? My personal vote is either Bronstein (indeed, there are some who believe he was pressured by the government into losing his match against Botvinnik) or Schlechter (who was only one draw away from being WC, but played for a win anyway and lost)

hankm

herbanmusic: I agree with you on Pilsbury. In fact, I think Pilsbury was one of the few players who really could have challenged Lasker at that time. If he hadn't died so soon, Lasker might have been dethroned before Capablanca got around to it.

LiamMuRpHy

Lasker,Capablanca,Tal and of course Anand

razorblade12
herbanmusic wrote:
Mephisto wrote:

Andriy Slyusarchuk !

Ah ah ah , of course comedy and good humour is allways welcome...so we can forget for a bit the problems in the world..

What a con, he brought us all... And the sorst of it all is the fact that the press did indeed believed him as if it was even possible?!? Lord have mercy- How gullible people have become in these ages of hard times !!!

At least we have a good laugh at his costs !! lol eh eh eh ah ah ah 

what did he do?

goldendog
LiamMuRpHy wrote:

We all wish Anand luck in his quest for the title.

trysts

Ivanchuk, J.Polgar, Shirov, Gelfand, KorchnoiSmile

moemen13

I vote for Viktor Korchnoi

Archaic71

Bronstein

Archaic71

15 . . . exf4?

jim995

Bronstein, Keres, and Carlsen.

El_Gremio

viktor korchnoi

ChessforFunn
LiamMuRpHy wrote:

They've all been WC and my thought is Morphy(had he been born later), Rubinstein,

and Nimzovitch.

trysts

Polgar would have destroyed Keres! Keres couldn't wash her nylonsLaughing

batgirl

What's that got to do with washing nylons?

batgirl

Dr. Spock?

trysts
Fezzik wrote:

How often was Polgar in the top 3 in the world?  How often was Keres one of the top 3 in the world?

I played through Keres, and Polgar, games. Polgar's are more dazzling to me. But, I think Polgar would have been a world champion back then.Smile

trysts
batgirl wrote:

What's that got to do with washing nylons?

Laughing

batgirl

you might just as well ask 'what has chess to do with washing nylons?'

trysts

@ Fezzik: Polgar is better than Karpov right now, if that's your criteria. I would rather make the judgement of how great a chessplayer is by playing through their games, and make an assessment based on my level of understanding in chess. I've watched threads citing rankings, ratings, and many other statistics. But to make a value judgement, on a question that requires one, the best way, in my opinion, is personal experience.

excaliber1
[COMMENT DELETED]