Forums

To poke or not to poke?

Sort:
DrSpudnik

A friend recently sent me an anecdote about a game between Arthur Bisguier and Bobby Fischer  where Bisguier saw that Fischer was sleeping during his game and nudged him awake...

The question is, if you were in an tournament game and saw your opponent sleeping, would you poke your opponent or not?

And what contemporary GM would be most/least likely to awaken his opponent?

KeepinOn2

Definitely not!  I wouldn't want to give my opponent the opportunity to claim that I had upset him or her, disturbed their concentration or scared them.  No excuses!

Skipgugg
If it were LisaV, I would definitely poke her. Hate to win like that.
ivandh
licenser wrote:

Definitely not! I wouldn't want to give my opponent the opportunity to claim that I had upset him or her, disturbed their concentration or scared them. No excuses!

Read: you don't want to give them the opportunity to not lose on time

quixote88pianist

Advantages of poking:
1. Opponent will be able to resume concentrating.
2. Opponent will be grateful that you woke him, to avoid forfeiting on time.
3. The result of the game is legitimate based on the skill of both players (insofar as it is possible).

Advantages of not poking:
1. Opponent's time pressure will increase as his nap continues.
2. You avoid irritating opponent; he cannot claim harassment, breakage of concentration, invading personal bubble, etc.
3. You hold opponent accountable for not getting enough sleep the previous night.
4. You are able to think during his naptime, enlarging your advantage by increasing your understanding of the position while he idles.

ivandh

You can also make faces at him to the delight of others.

KeepinOn2
ivandh wrote:
licenser wrote:

Definitely not! I wouldn't want to give my opponent the opportunity to claim that I had upset him or her, disturbed their concentration or scared them. No excuses!

Methinks you read too much between the lines.  The correct response is to inform the Tournament Director, if any response is required at all.  They already have/had the opportunity not to lose on time.  If they squander that opportunity, why should I feel obligated to remind them of it?  Should I also remind them when I think they are missing threats on the board?  No excuses!

oinquarki
Skipgugg wrote:
If it were LisaV, I would definitely poke her. Hate to win like that.

LOL

thejackbauer

Poke to see if they are a heavy sleeper or not. If they are, I'd draw on their face.

Xhorxh_D

pretend to poke him/her but don't to see others reactions or dance on the table ;)

if he wakes up his concentration will be definitely broken 

whoisgalt57

Poke.  Before poking, I would clear my throat or find another subtle way to make noise (fake a sneeze, etc.).  I would rather lose a good game than win a bad game, even in a tournament.  The wins I accrew because of my opponents' blunders do not satisfy me.  Having to respond to my opponent's solid game will make me a better player; little experience is gained from a blowout. 

Ryan_orourke1

nah i'd just leave them

Tricklev

It depends, if it's a cute girl I might poke them.

If it was a man I'd let his clock run.

quixote88pianist
Tricklev wrote:

It depends, if it's a cute girl I might poke them.

If it was a man I'd let his clock run.

Whoa! Talk about a Freudian slip.

trysts

I would stop our clocks, and take a napSmile

checkmateisnear

Isn't it against tournament regulations to stop the clocks? 

jerry2468
trysts wrote:

I would stop our clocks, and take a nap

Just let their time  run while you sleep

ivandh
licenser wrote:
ivandh wrote:
licenser wrote:

Methinks you read too much between the lines. The correct response is to inform the Tournament Director, if any response is required at all. They already have/had the opportunity not to lose on time. If they squander that opportunity, why should I feel obligated to remind them of it? Should I also remind them when I think they are missing threats on the board? No excuses!

Read: licenser takes this way too seriously

electricpawn

Many years ago when I was in my 20's, I played a guy in a tournament who was 92. He kept score in German (D= queen, S=knight, etc.) He would nod off between moves, but he woke up frequently so I didn't have to wake him and he didn't lose much time. The sad part of the story is that he beat me. His ride didn't show up at the end of the day, and he asked me to drive him home. It was a good 20 miles, and I was afraid he was going to die in my car the entire trip.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

I would look them up on Facebook and poke them there.