Forums

Ultimate Chess Player of the Month July 2012

Sort:
ivandh

I think the rules should be complicated. Rules that are simple do not instill fear and respect, and are more liable to be broken.

Joseph-S
ivandh wrote:

I think the rules should be complicated. Rules that are simple do not instill fear and respect, and are more liable to be broken.

I just got an advanced copy of the rules from PN, and it should be all that you'd hoped for.  Here is a sample from page 72:  ... if provisions of section 603 (a)(2)(g) and 2203 (s)(4.5)(u) of such rule (5 U.D.N. 7728 note and 4388) has not been effected, then such...

proKnight98

Ultimate CPOTM July 2012 Rules:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/ultimate-cpotm-july-2012-rules

proKnight98

A text copy here also:

CPOTM July. The final month. Things should be special this month. Things should be done different. Things should be interesting and exciting. I will first say ahead of time, before you carefully read what is below, that the rules are complicated. I understand that many of you will not understand. Please feel free to ask me questions. However, I can assure you that it will be easy enough to follow along.

1. From this list of 22 members, we need to split them into three categories. As I said before, the categories are best chess player, most active, and friendliest. To split this large list, we will do a category vote. On July 4th, vote for the member who you think is the best player. On July 5th, vote for the member who you think is the most active. On July 6th vote for the member who you think is the friendliest. You have one vote on each of the days listed above. All days are based on the Pacific. Do not vote until I tell you to. Note: a member cannot be put into more than one section, so if on July 4th Pikachu is voted into the top four people in best player, and if on July 5th Pikachu is voted into the top six for most active, then he will not be in most active but in best player only. Tip: have in mind the member you want to vote for in each category. They should be (and have to be) different.

Number of members estimated in each section (these numbers can change):

Best chess player: 4 members

Most active: 6 members

Friendliest: 6 members

2. After the category voting is finished, the members not put into the categories will be eliminated. (that should be about six members, but this number can change) Now, each week, we will be dealing with a specific category, meaning we will find out the winner of each category each week. For example, July 8-14 will be purely competition to become the best chess player winner. July 15-27 will be purely competition to become the most active winner and friendliest winner. These two categories are going to be combined in one competition because that competition incorporates them both.

3. July 8-14: to determine the best chess player winner. We will have a Head of Nominees competition (chess trivia questions sent to the members of the category via message). The member with the most questions correct becomes HON. The HON has the power to select two members from their own category to be eliminated. After this selection, everyone will vote for one of the two selected members to stay, the other will be eliminated (number of members left in the category should be one less now). The two HON competitions that week will be on July 8th and 11th. Repeat what is in bold again so that we have two members left. Now the final two members will face on in one live chess game with the controls: 15 5. The winner will be the official best chess player winner.

4. July 15-28: to determine the most active and friendliest winners. There are six members in each category for the most active and friendliest, so we will shorten them to five from an HON competition (chess trivia questions sent to the members of the category via message). The HON competition for the most active and friendliestcategories will be sent out on the same day, July 15th. The member with the most questions correct becomes HON. The HON has the power to select two members from their own category to be eliminated. After this selection, everyone will vote for one of the two selected members to stay, the other will be eliminated (number of members left in the category should be one less now). Now there should be five members in both categories.

There will now be a small competition to shorten the list further. This is a game called “The Investor”. The competition is combined: most active members and friendliest members will be competing in the same game at the same time. Each most active member has 10 points. Each friendliest member has 0 points. The point of both themost active members and friendliest members is to receive the most points in the end. I will ask each of the most active members (privately via message) which friendliest member they want to give some of their points to. Most active members do not have to give all their points (however at least one), but points given have to be whole numbers, and can only be given to one person. Basically, the point of the most active members is to “invest” their points onto one friendliest member, hoping the friendliest memberwill win because:

-each most active member that at least invests one point on the friendliest player with the 1st most points, that most active member will receive 12 points back from proKnight98 (I have infinite amount of points)

-each most active member that at least invests one point on the friendliest player with the 2nd most points, that most active member will receive 7 points back from proKnight98

-each most active member that at least invests one point on the friendliest player with the 3rd most points, that most active member will receive 2 points back from proKnight98

In the end, the two most active members with the most points advance to the last round, and also the two friendliest members with the most points advance to the last round. (The friendliest members’ point count is how many points the most active members chose to give to him/her.)

Now there should be two final members in the most active category, and two final members in the friendliest category. On July 28th, all past winners participating in this month’s CPOTM will message me a vote for a most active category winner out of the two remaining in that category. On July 30th, all past winners participating in this month’s CPOTM will message me a vote for a friendliest category winner out of the two remaining in that category.

5. FINALLY! We have determined the three category winners of best chess player,most active, and friendliest. Thank you for following along with these complicated steps. Hopefully Ultimate Chess Player of the Month July will be memorable for all of you guys!

green: best chess player

purple: most active

blue: friendliest

red: important dates (all Pacific)

Joseph-S

proKnight98

It is now time to officially start the process of of CPOTM July! From a list of 20 members, we will need to place these members into the three categories best chess player, most active, and friendliest. We will do this through a category vote.

On July 4th, vote for the member who you think is the best player. On July 5th, vote for the member who you think is the most active. On July 6th vote for the member who you think is the friendliest. You have one vote on each of the days listed above. All days are based on the Pacific. Do not vote until I tell you to. Note: a member cannot be put into more than one section, so if on July 4th Pikachu is voted into the top four people in best player, and if on July 5th Pikachu is voted into the top six for most active, then he will not be in most active but in best player only. Tip: have in mind the member you want to vote for in each category. They should be (and have to be) different.

It is now July 4th so let's gets started on voting for members who should be in the category best chess player only! You have one vote!

veggiegirlie

haddad56

deckers1066

LisaV

heinzie

ilikeflags

AndyClifton

blackfirestorm666

bigpoison

Kacparov

echecs06

TheGrobe

corrijean

ozzie_c_cobblepot

chess_kebabs

STAR_egypt

ivandh

kco

electricpawn

theoreticalboy

piphilologist

I vote Kacparov for best chess player

malko

I vote AndyClifton for best chess player

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Kacparov for best chess player.

ivandh

I am consulting with my lawyers.

heinzie

Come on guys, for best chess player, heinzie has beaten Kasparov  [flagged eight times in sixty games], if that doesn't count as awesome??

As for activity, I am always here sitting behind my laptop. Very active.

Friendliest: that's me in a nutshell. I am tremendously friendly, even if I have very few confirmed chess.com friends.

heinzie

proKnight98

From a list of 20 members, we will need to place these members into the three categories best chess player, most active, and friendliest. We will do this through a category vote.

On July 4th, vote for the member who you think is the best player. On July 5th, vote for the member who you think is the most active. On July 6th vote for the member who you think is the friendliest. You have one vote on each of the days listed above. All days are based on the Pacific. Do not vote until I tell you to. Note: a member cannot be put into more than one section, so if on July 4th Pikachu is voted into the top four people in best player, and if on July 5th Pikachu is voted into the top six for most active, then he will not be in most active but in best player only. Tip: have in mind the member you want to vote for in each category. They should be (and have to be) different.

It is now July 4th so let's gets started on voting for members who should be in the category best chess player only! You have one vote!

veggiegirlie

haddad56

deckers1066

LisaV

heinzie

ilikeflags

AndyClifton     1

blackfirestorm666

bigpoison

Kacparov     2

echecs06

TheGrobe

corrijean

ozzie_c_cobblepot

chess_kebabs

STAR_egypt

ivandh

kco

electricpawn

theoreticalboy

theoreticalboy

I think we need six more categories, each with four sub-categories.  And possibly an additonal meta-category in case we need to break fifteen ties.

bigpoison

heinzie for best playa'.

corrijean

ozzie_c_cobblepot

heinzie
bigpoison wrote:

heinzie for best chess playa'.

Thank you for your endorsementTongue out

proKnight98

From a list of 20 members, we will need to place these members into the three categories best chess player, most active, and friendliest. We will do this through a category vote.

It is now July 4th so let's gets started on voting for members who should be in the category best chess player only! You have one vote!

veggiegirlie

haddad56

deckers1066

LisaV

heinzie     1

ilikeflags

AndyClifton     1

blackfirestorm666

bigpoison

Kacparov     2

echecs06

TheGrobe

corrijean

ozzie_c_cobblepot     1

chess_kebabs

STAR_egypt

ivandh

kco

electricpawn

theoreticalboy

netzach

Man am confused. But best chess-player ? Need to go for Kacparov as have looked over several of his games he played with the Scots guy Streetfighter.

proKnight98

veggiegirlie

haddad56

deckers1066

LisaV

heinzie     1

ilikeflags

AndyClifton     1

blackfirestorm666

bigpoison

Kacparov     3

echecs06

TheGrobe