Forums

Vishy Anand's comeback- Candidates 2014

Sort:
Zeitgeist_Kaal

Hi all,

I along with every one else had written off Anand from ever coming close to even participating in a World Championship Match. Clearly he proved us all wrong at Candidates 2014.

I think he learnt a great deal from playing with Carlsen. I wonder if you all have read this interview -

http://www.chess.com/news/vishy-anand-it-teaches-you-some-humility-9186

from November. He deconvolutes Magnus Carlsen brick by brick in this interview. And this interview makes so much sense after seeing his play in the Candidates 2014.

Personally, I think chess matches are very different from individual games in that they really are a battle between two different philosophies or chess psychologies. The 2013 Anand - Carlsen match was where the older philosophy failed inspite of tremendous effort and preparation by Anand. In this interview he discusses where his strategy against Carlsen failed and what he would change if he got a second chance.

And indeed he will get a second chance in 2014, November!

Please read the interview and tell us - What do you think of his return?

Philidor2000

I'll be impressed if he wins the Candidates.  Hope he plays better against Carlsen next time - those games were a bit dull last time, imo...

DarknisMetalDragon
Philidor2000 wrote:

I'll be impressed if he wins the Candidates.  Hope he plays better against Carlsen next time - those games were a bit dull last time, imo...

I'm pretty sure he can. I'm not expecting him to win, but I expect he'll get very close. 

DarknisMetalDragon

After reading that interview, I felt that I was Anand himself. It might just be that I'm an ultra-Anand fan now after the huge surprise he made this year in the tournament. I was going for Aronian (who I hope at least gets second place) the most until Anand beat him the first round and I kept seeing him do well. This is exciting.Surprised

BigChessEnthusiast

Carlsen vs Anand rematch coming later this year!! Congratulations to Vishy and all his fans.

Karjakin vs Anand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BodZrOQjzYk