Forums

Who is better Kasparov or Anand?

Sort:
SayanDas06

both

YohanManek

Kasporov is the best

TheGreatStockFishyAnand

If you are talking about rating, then Kasparov is better. Though Kasparov has had a higher rating than Anand, currently, you could argue that Anand is better as he performed really well during the Norway Chess tournament and beat the current world champion, Magnus Carlsen. However, overall, I would say that Kasparov is better due to his rating and wins against some people. Nevertheless, both players are legends and some of the best chess players in history.

Chessplayer-091

Anand is a really good player. But, Kasparov is better when compared to Anand.

SmyslovFan
TheGreatStockFishyAnand wrote:

If you are talking about rating, then Kasparov is better. Though Kasparov has had a higher rating than Anand, currently, you could argue that Anand is better as he performed really well during the Norway Chess tournament and beat the current world champion, Magnus Carlsen. However, overall, I would say that Kasparov is better due to his rating and wins against some people. Nevertheless, both players are legends and some of the best chess players in history.

Kasparov beat Anand when Anand was at his peak. Anand's latest results are wonderful, but they aren't the best results he's ever had.

Anand is only about 6 years younger than Kasparov. Kasparov retired early, but while he was active he was clearly the best player in the world. The only thing that has changed since he retired is the rise of Carlsen, who has eclipsed Kasparov's records. Kasparov dominated Anand, 17-4 with 31 draws over the span of their careers in classical chess.

This isn't even a question. Don't believe me, ask Anand!

idilis
YohanManek wrote:
Anand is better any time
YohanManek wrote:

Kasporov is the best

We'll wait another 2 years to see how you feel then.

TheGreatStockFishyAnand
SmyslovFan wrote:
TheGreatStockFishyAnand wrote:

Kasparov beat Anand when Anand was at his peak. Anand's latest results are wonderful, but they aren't the best results he's ever had.

Anand is only about 6 years younger than Kasparov. Kasparov retired early, but while he was active he was clearly the best player in the world. The only thing that has changed since he retired is the rise of Carlsen, who has eclipsed Kasparov's records. Kasparov dominated Anand, 17-4 with 31 draws over the span of their careers in classical chess.

This isn't even a question. Don't believe me, ask Anand!

Bro, I just said that Kasparov is better. I am not biased just because I am indian.

Kowarenai

well actually vishy is better since i think he has a better record rn but kasparov definitely was better against anand i believe in his prime back in the day though that kinda died sadly :/

zone_chess

Anand has that positional grind that in the end is almost impossible to beat, IF you can make it through all the middlegame tactics. And he's back from outer space. But still, I'll be the fashionista and still go for Kasparov if only for stylistic reasons.

SmyslovFan
Kowarenai wrote:

well actually vishy is better since i think he has a better record rn but kasparov definitely was better against anand i believe in his prime back in the day though that kinda died sadly :/

I have no clue how you concluded that Anand has a better record than Kasparov.

Kasparov was world champion longer

Kasparov dominated Anand and indeed almost every other opponent in their head-to-head match ups

Kasparov has the second highest rating of all time, and along with Carlsen, is the only person to stay over 2800 for more than two years.

In every meaningful measure, Kasparov had the better record.

Kowarenai
SmyslovFan wrote:
Kowarenai wrote:

I have no clue how you concluded that Anand has a better record than Kasparov.

Kasparov was world champion longer

Kasparov dominated Anand and indeed almost every other opponent in their head-to-head match ups

Kasparov has the second highest rating of all time, and along with Carlsen, is the only person to stay over 2800 for more than two years.

In every meaningful measure, Kasparov had the better record.

currently since kasparov is now well i dont want to say garbage but he is no shape to compete with the best anymore and even vishy tried helping him to manage his time at one of the saint louis events as he didnt want him to lose easily. kasparov did horribly and many right now at the elite are like "yeah like we love gary but we cant stand seeing him being tortured like this, its just degrading and sad" but definitely Back in the day he was better

Kowarenai

also i like to point out that your recapping the past, not the current gary and thats what i broke down essentially with him back in the day being amazing but now he is just out of shape

Ladrithian

Kasparov is surely better. I respect Anand but you must face the facts. Anand was rightful world champion I'd say when he beat Kramnik at least the second time, Topalov in 2010, and Gelfand though his first win is debatable as the championship was split at the time. However if you look at Anand as champion, he was time and time again not the highest rated player. Now as for Kasparov, he didn't take long to defeat Karpov after losing initially and he always defended after that (until Kramnik when he was past his prime and Kramnik was in it) as well as maintaining status as world #1 and while Anand was not at peak, he did get defeated in his match against Kasparov so that hurts his case. Anand also didn't score particularly well in his match against Carlsen the first time and the second time. Anand is being the younger player better now but Kasparov is clearly the overall better player and that's just the way the world works.