Forums

Who is your least favorite chess player of all time, and why?

Sort:
royalbishop

Oh why? Tal has forced so many players to resign and

Bobby .... just because he is Bobby -  "Sac, Sac .....Mate"

(just noticed the why after i hit "post comment")

SmyslovFan

Diemer's a great choice!

Personally, I like Nigel. He's opinionated, sharp, and doesn't care for chess idiots. That makes him interesting.

My own choice is the troika of Topalov, Cheparinov and Danailov. They brought the world championship into disrepute simply to attempt to win off the board. Toiletgate was one of the worst instances of poor sportsmanship ever seen in a world championship, and that takes some doing!

When Topalov played Anand for the title, just about every top GM volunteered to help Anand. Topalov received the aid of the Bulgarian government, Railich (the creator of Rybka), and his paid seconds. To the best of my knowledge, nobody volunteered to help him.

Vasily Ivanchuk stated in an interview that Topalov is the least liked top GM on the circuit and then listed his reasons. He even hinted that Topalov cheated at San Luis in 2005, which is why he was so quick to accuse Kramnik!

SmyslovFan

RoyalB, you may want to re-read the topic of the thread. Sealed

ThrillerFan

Bobby Fischer - Biggest loser in all of chess.  Limiting it to two reasons is a lot harder than coming up with two reasons:

1) He would talk trash about openings he could never beat, like the French Winawer.  If you are going to trash talk, trash talk something that you can back yourself up with, fool!

2) 1975 - Oh my god, the lights aren't right, and nobody should be able to spectate, and oh my god the chair is too hard, and I'm just so afraid of Karpov.  Bye guys, I quit!

3) Doesn't even follow the law in 1992, and is on the run, leaving the United States simply to not get arrested.

4) "1.e4 - Best by Test" - BULLSH*T!  Check any major database.  1.d4!! beats 1.e4?? by a full 2%

5) Just an outright arrogant MFer!

eddysallin
chessmaster102 wrote:

kasparov cause hes a sore loser and was unfair to quite a few players. 

FIDE cause of how unfair they were to Susan Polgar so much so she quit competitive chess. 

Feelings got hurt huh ! Who's the numbskull that started the belief life is fair....Oh sure, and justice for all. The best is principle guides human decisons.
Grobzilla

Karpov. I have no expressable reason. I simply don't know why. I'm sure he's a fine person and I know he's in the Top 10 of all time, but something about him irks me. I absolutely can't put my finger on it, but...Karpov.

Conflagration_Planet

Interesting.

nameno1had

Kasparov....

Conflagration_Planet

And why.

nameno1had

since you insist and it goes without saying...

I always thought he was smug, played too much like a computer and would't shake Carlsen's after drawing him in a simul, whilst Carlsen was rather young. I would have congratulated him, encouraged him for the future and shook his hand.... I saw another say he was a sore loser....to me his actions with Carlsen embodiy sore loser, even when he draws.... what a schmuck

MyCowsCanFly

Maybe GM Motex. I suppose with all the controversy, there's also a lot to admire. Google doesn't yield much. Also, Bobby Fischer's older sister. I think they learned chess together. Although deserving, Bobby is too easy of a target. She turned out to be such a disappointment in terms of chess. She had the same genes.

Why? The good choices were already taken.

RichColorado

Howard Staunton

He refused to play  (1857-1871) Paul Morphy when Morphy had beaten all the European players. Staunton did not show up to play him when challenged.

RichColorado
trysts wrote:

My least favorite chess players? I don't have to fish about, I'll make this short:

Who is the second player you posted?

MyCowsCanFly

The Backyard Professor because everyone else forgot to mention him.

goldendog
orangeishblue wrote:

I would put Sammy Reshevsky up there in a class with Topalov and Danilov. Reshevsky cheated Denker by picking up a clock on which he had  time forfeited turned it around and the arbiter forfeited Denker instead and Sammy let the decision stand a real jerk.

Nope. It was the arbiter that fouled up. Reshevsky stayed mum. Right. Hardly honorable.

timbeau

me.

elig5428

me too. that is exactly what i was going to say before I read your post.

varelse1
ThrillerFan wrote:

Bobby Fischer - Biggest loser in all of chess.  Limiting it to two reasons is a lot harder than coming up with two reasons:

1) He would talk trash about openings he could never beat, like the French Winawer.  If you are going to trash talk, trash talk something that you can back yourself up with, fool!

2) 1975 - Oh my god, the lights aren't right, and nobody should be able to spectate, and oh my god the chair is too hard, and I'm just so afraid of Karpov.  Bye guys, I quit!

3) Doesn't even follow the law in 1992, and is on the run, leaving the United States simply to not get arrested.

4) "1.e4 - Best by Test" - BULLSH*T!  Check any major database.  1.d4!! beats 1.e4?? by a full 2%

5) Just an outright arrogant MFer!

I was always willing to forgive all that in Bobby. Right up until September, 2001. That was the day he went from being an eccentric genuis to an unredeemable ass.

Rot in hell, Bobby Fischer.

MyCowsCanFly

It's difficult to compare jerks from different eras. Different styles are also difficult to compare.

trysts
DENVERHIGH wrote:
trysts wrote:

My least favorite chess players? I don't have to fish about, I'll make this short:

Who is the second player you posted?

Nigel Short.