Forums

Who would have won between Carlsen and Capablanca?

Sort:
gaereagdag

Maybe this is an insoluble question.

But I will say Carlsen because modern chess players have far more disciplined habits of preparation than they had in Capablanca's time.

Capablanca's personal chess habits were also poor. He did not prepare at all for his match against Alekhine whereas Alekhine studied all of Capablanca's games.

Physical health also matters. Capablanca did not look after himself, often indulging in late nights of wine, women and song.

So for me I say Carlsen. Chess playing strength I say =. Even take computer prep away from Carlsen. But it's personal habits and self-management that would tip it in Carlsen's favour.

TetsuoShima
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

Calling the Fischer the 9th best player is a joke, especially judged by someone way weaker. Nigel Short said how can we judge the moves of a 2800 player. If Nigel Short can´t do that, i dont think some GM Gormally with a peak rating of 2570 can compare the strength of FIscher to other top GMs. 

I think its very presumptuous to do that, but its only my personal opinion.

TetsuoShima

Also Roman Dzindzihashvilli said for him Fischer was the strongest and i believe he knows a little more about chess than GM Gormally whos name i never ever heard before.

Doggy_Style
TetsuoShima wrote:

Also Roman Dzindzihashvilli said for him Fischer was the strongest and i believe he knows a little more about chess than GM Gormally whos name i never ever heard before.

No need to get your knickers in a twist. It's just a journeyman GM publishing an article of his opinion, not holy tablets brought down from a mountain-top.

SmyslovFan
TetsuoShima wrote:
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

Calling the Fischer the 9th best player is a joke, especially judged by someone way weaker. ..

But it's ok for you to claim that Fischer was the best ever. Ok.

Ubik42

I am weaker than Gormally, and my judgement is Fischer is 5th best behind Kasparov, Carlsen, Kramnik, Karpov.

TetsuoShima
SmyslovFan wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

Calling the Fischer the 9th best player is a joke, especially judged by someone way weaker. ..

But it's ok for you to claim that Fischer was the best ever. Ok.

because Fischer was the best, not to mention Roman is of the same opinion and many other more.

Ubik42

But Fischer thought Morphy would whip him.

IpswichMatt

This link makes interesting reading:

http://en.chessbase.com/home/TabId/211/PostId/4007621

It doesn't include Carlsen unfortunately, but it suggests that Capa was stronger than the other players.

However, the study also says that they dont account for the complexity of positions (Capa often went into simple positrions, where it's easier to play the best moves), so the results may be mis-leading.