Forums

Wht Bobby Fischer would have beaten Kasparov.

Sort:
StevenBailey13

Let us say that we take both Kasparov and Fischer in their prime and place them in the year 2012. We know that Fischer was far more dedicated to the game ( and sometimes studied 12 hrs a day!) and would have access to the internet imagine someone with Fischer's unbelievable work ethic + the internet. Fischer would simply work until he could beat Kasparov. Case closed! :-)

StevenBailey13

Sorry, why Bobby Fischer would have beaten Kasparov.

theoreticalboy

I really hope you don't actually teach at the academic level.  Or at all.

slvnfernando

Nope, Whether Bobby Fischer would have beaten Kasparov. And I think he would, hands down!

trysts

Please let the case be closedLaughing

StevenBailey13
theoreticalboy wrote:

I really hope you don't actually teach at the academic level.  Or at all.

You got something to say??!! :-)

StevenBailey13

Fair Enough.

LifeOfRiley

The Internet!?

Fischer came unglued and became a rambling paranoid conspiracy theorist in a world where that kind of information was hard to come by.

Online?  He never would have touched pawn number one.  He'd have fallen into the abyss of Truthers, Birthers, Mayan Calendar Junkies, and Alex Jones disciples and never would have come up for air.

StevenBailey13
LifeOfRiley wrote:

The Internet!?

Fischer came unglued and became a rambling paranoid conspiracy theorist in a world where that kind of information was hard to come by.

Online?  He never would have touched pawn number one.  He'd have fallen into the abyss of Truthers, Birthers, Mayan Calendar Junkies, and Alex Jones disciples and never would have come up for air.

Your thinking of post 1975 Fischer and if you'd read the post you'd see I said in their prime!

StevenBailey13
joeydvivre wrote:

"Your thinking of post 1975 Fischer "

I don't think so.  Fischer was pretty much unglued most of his life.  The internet would have consumed Bobby in the '60's if it was available.  This idea that Bobby was nice and stable until 1972 or something is just fantasy.  

You clearly do not know much of Fischer - He was pretty stable whilst his life was consumed with chess- after he gave up chess I would agree with you, but in 1971-1972 he wouldn't stop playing chess for "Internet Conspiracies"

StevenBailey13

What difference does it make? I've read 3 biographies on him!

StevenBailey13

You may chuckle but really it doesn't matter what age you are- There is no doubt that Fischer would have studied harder than Kasparov.

theoreticalboy

lol @ random internet people both assuming they know more than the other about someone they never met.

StevenBailey13
theoreticalboy wrote:

lol @ random internet people both assuming they know more than the other about someone they never met.

Welcome to the internet! :-)

Edrosian

I became more knowledgeable about chess when the computer era came along. Before hand I was creative and had some talent. When I was a kid 10-13 year olds playing in tornaments was not common in my area. Scholastics what was that. As an adult- database, online and endgame technique define my play. Sad, some of the new players at the club dont realize I was known as an 'attacking' player.

The point is, of course if Fischer had databases and engines to work with and the same drive he would be better than Kasparov. However, both players did what was necesary to be the best. I think if Fischer stuck around/beat Karpov then had to deal with Kasparov then the result between Fischer and Kasparov would have ended the same as Kasparov and Karpov. What an era with Korchnoy,Fischer,Karpov and Kasparov all going at it at the same time!!

Qwertykeyboard
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

if fischer had the internet he wouldn't be the greatest chess player, he'd be the greates conspiracy theorest. And I can't spell.

Yes. You can't spell.

Davidjordan
TheProfessor wrote:

Let us say that we take both Kasparov and Fischer in their prime and place them in the year 2012. We know that Fischer was far more dedicated to the game ( and sometimes studied 12 hrs a day!) and would have access to the internet imagine someone with Fischer's unbelievable work ethic + the internet. Fischer would simply work until he could beat Kasparov. Case closed! :-)

+1

nameno1had

I tend to think that those two played the game about as well as it could be played while in their primes. I would say they both have studied exstensively. I know Fischer was a workaholic. You have to be incredibly mindful of chess nuances in order to come up with 960.

Kasparov was introduced to chess at age 3. My 3 year old doesn't get the idea of taking successive turns, though he knows we both moves pieces or how to move the pieces properly according to their speciality, he just wants to move them. As a result I don't know how much merit I can give the first few years of Kasparov's chess experience. Kasparov was put through a chess academy, starting at a young age.  I am sure it took a few years of coaxing to get him to begin actually "playing" real games.

Either way, all of the ways to possibly try to compared them on paper end up being subjective. I find it mostly is a popularity contest for why we say either would do what they would, if they played.

Helzeth
TheProfessor wrote:
LifeOfRiley wrote:

The Internet!?

Your thinking of post 1975 Fischer and if you'd read the post you'd see I said in their prime!

Bobby didn't watch television during these years because he thought it could infect him. Are you seriously suggesting that he'd trust the interwebs?

EstebanTunggul

I think Kasparov wins this