Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess 960. Love it? Or not really?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #81

cll3

i like 960 its a chore without consistent openings to memorize.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #82

Tom102

After getting so used to playing "normal" chess my brain just can't work out how to play effectively.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #83

varelse1

Wanted to shared this, from Wikipedia:

On June 19, 1996, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Fischer announced and advocated a variant of chess named Fischerandom Chess (later known as Fischer Random Chess or Chess960) intended to ensure that a game between players is a contest between their understandings of chess, rather than their abilities to memorize opening lines or prepare opening strategies.

Fischerandom was designed to remove any advantage from the memorization of opening variations by rendering it impracticable. Fischer complained in a 2006 phoned-in call with a radio interviewer that because of the progress in openings and the memorization of opening books, the best players from history, if brought back from the dead to play today, would no longer be competitive. "Some kid of fourteen today, or even younger, could get an opening advantage against Capablanca", he said, merely because of opening-book memorization, which Fischer disdained. "Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorization and prearrangement. It's a terrible game now. Very uncreative."[367]Fischer heavily disparaged chess as it was currently being played at the highest levels.[368]

• 13 months ago · Quote · #84

TheBigDecline

If Chess is dead, what are we doing here?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #85

SaharanKnight

TheBigDecline wrote:

We're playing Fischer Random, didn't you notice?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #86

SaharanKnight

varelse1 wrote:

Wanted to shared this, from Wikipedia:

... "Some kid of fourteen today, or even younger, could get an opening advantage against Capablanca", he said, merely because of opening-book memorization, which Fischer disdained. "Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorization and prearrangement. It's a terrible game now. Very uncreative."[367] ...

Thanks much, varelse1, for this input... and vive la creativite!

• 13 months ago · Quote · #87

varelse1

TheBigDecline wrote:

Me? I'm setting up prearranged draws, to stop Fischer from advancing. Same as the rest of the world!Cool

• 13 months ago · Quote · #91

TheBigDecline

Thank you about posting those links, marljivi. Very interesting.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #92

rayngrant

It's something different...Laughing

Post your reply: