Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chu Shogi

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

HGMuller

I recently discovered Chu Shogi, an ancient (1350 ad) Japanese Chess variant:

It features a very interesting piece, the Lion, which can make two King moves in one turn (possibly capturing two pieces at once). Of course the Japanese would play it with horrible pieces, all the same color and Chinese characters written on them, but the picture above shows a culture-free, highly mnemonic board representation. (Can you spot the Rooks? They are in front of the Bishops!)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

Scottrf

The two back rows on either side are all new pieces? And 12x12? Looks like it's the most complicated game ever.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

HGMuller

It can be worse... Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

jfiquett

I'll stick to chess 0_0

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

ironic_begar

HGMuller wrote:

Of course the Japanese would play it with horrible pieces, all the same color and Chinese characters written on them

I believe the Japanese actually tend to write Japanese characters on their Shogi pieces. The Chinese characters tend to go on the Xiang-Qi pieces.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

HGMuller

Well, I could not see the difference. Except that in Shogi they usually write two characters on each piece, and in Xiangqi only one. But the characters for Horse, Chariot etc. seem to be the same to my Western eye. There seems to be more difference between simplified and traditional Chinese. (The Xiangqi pieces use traditional script, even in mainland China.)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

Scottrf

Anyone got a video of bullet Chu Shogi?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

bobjoejohn

yes  me and friend played chu shogi bullet (2min) i won attack kingside with 20 peices

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

HGMuller

I equipped WinBoard with the capability for peer-to-peer connection over the internet (through an adapter, disguised as a normal Chess engine). So it is possible now to use it for playing such games as Chu or Tenjiku Shogi (and of course Chess and hosts of other Chess variants) by connecting directly to your opponent, without the need for any server.Cool

Post your reply: