Forums

Live 960

Sort:
nameno1had
Zen wrote:

Don't start a discussion about using engines here. And I believe 960 for live chess is still on the work list, it's just that there are some things to do before the staff gets to that.

I really don't like it when someone who has no business trying to do so, starts trying to give me orders.

Would anyone like to discuss the likelyhood of someone being able to use an engine to play live 960 at a 5 minute time control?

I think this scenario doesn't give a very good opportunity for someone trying to cheat. Considering an engine selects moves to force mate and not to beat a clock, after the set up time for the unique 960 positions, the time control selection and choosing a level for the engine to play at (some may default to best play), you don't have enough time left for it to calculate and then for you to transfer the moves that will give mate fast enough. Your clock will run out first.

Zen
nameno1had wrote:

I really don't like it when someone who has no business trying to do so, starts trying to give me orders.

Would anyone like to discuss the likelyhood of someone being able to use an engine to play live 960 at a 5 minute time control?

I think this scenario doesn't give a very good opportunity for someone trying to cheat. Considering an engine selects moves to force mate and not to beat a clock, after the set up time for the unique 960 positions, the time control selection and choosing a level for the engine to play at (some may default to best play), you don't have enough time left for it to calculate and then for you to transfer the moves that will give mate fast enough. Your clock will run out first.

Just saying such discussion should be kept in the Cheating forum and that you might find this wonderful thread locked down for it. Just saying...

nameno1had
Zen wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Just saying such discussion should be kept in the Cheating forum and that you might find this wonderful thread locked down for it. Just saying...

I wasn't making cheating the main idea. My idea was twisted into it being about cheating.

I was asking the opinion of others who would know, how playing 960 chess, if available in a live version, and while using a 5 minute time control would hinder a player from using an engine. I don't know much about the more modern versions of engines.

Do you see the word cheating in red? I didn't mention it by specificity. I don't want to discuss cheating. I had something else in mind. It was the capability of engines and engine users, as it would pertain to playing "960 chess". This forum is for discussing 960 chess. That is what I was doing.

Zen
nameno1had wrote:

I wasn't making cheating the main idea. My idea was twisted into it being about cheating.

I was asking the opinion of others who would know, how playing 960 chess, if available in a live version, and while using a 5 minute time control would hinder a player from using an engine. I don't know much about the more modern versions of engines.

Do you see the word cheating in red? I didn't mention it by specificity. I don't want to discuss cheating. I had something else in mind. It was the capability of engines and engine users, as it would pertain to playing "960 chess". This forum is for discussing 960 chess. That is what I was doing.

I'm not trying to challenge what you said, I was merely reminding you and the others in this thread to not get derailed too far from topic. Thus there is no need for you to go on the defensive.

Anyway, carry on. I wouldn't want to defeat my own purpose.

nameno1had
Zen wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I'm not trying to challenge what you said, I was merely reminding you and the others in this thread to not get derailed too far from topic. Thus there is no need for you to go on the defensive.

Anyway, carry on. I wouldn't want to defeat my own purpose.

I could see the attempted accountability as necessary if I was attempting to discuss how to's, or who do you think might be, or some other thoughts like opinions about consequences or rights,etc.

I am aware of the desire of Chess.com to keep those converstaions in that forum.

Chessking46
[COMMENT DELETED]
b3nnyhaha

not long ago there was actually a poll on the front page asking how frequently you would use a live 960 interface- i believe the response was fairly good, so it's certainly in the works

kohai

We are adding chess960 to live chess, in the meantime please don't use the threads to advertise other sites who may already have this as that is rude

This forum topic has been locked