Forums

Should 960 be avalible in Chess Live?

Sort:
DarthVader909

Should chess 960 be avalible in Live?

duck_and_cover

no

TheBigDecline

Yes, it would greatly enhance the joy I experience in life.

RICK29

Yes, this would show (showcase) the talents of each player. how deep they understand the  game (on their own...).

dragonair234

Fantastic question. Perhaps the players could receive like 15 seconds to analyze the position before the clock starts. Maybe they could also receive an option not to have the 15 second analysis of the position. 

Bwag174

The clock doesn't start non blitz games until both people move.

Koh-i-noor

Well, once I played my first game of 960, I've never played another game of 'regular' chess. Too boring! It's like tunnel vision - why waste time memorising all the opening possibilities of one initial setup, when there are 959 other possibilities to explore?

So when Chess 960 is available for playing live, I'll start playing on chess.com. But for now - back to ChessCube Cool

morgondag

It should absolutely be. However for the clock not to start until first move is a bit of an unfair advantage to white, but to non-master players it probably wouldnt make that much difference. 5 mins games would probably be sloppy but 15 mins games f.e. would work fine. 

average650

Of course! I prefer chess.com to many other sites out there, but I will play on chesscube just because they offer live 960. 

morgondag is right that the clock not starting until the first move is a bit unfair. However, it's not that big of a difference, and if people really wanted to take care of it, perhaps you could add a 15 second period where you can't move and then the clocks start, or something like that. 

In any case, I'd really enjoy it. Is there any good reason they don't offer it?

morgondag

One thing they need to look at if (WHEN) they create 960 live is the abort setting. On Chesscube it seems like it aborts if you dont make a first move in 1 or 2 mins, that is totally inapropriate for chess960. It is normal in a 10 or 15 mins game to think at least 1 min on the first move. Or maybe that was my opponents aborting the game?

StrategicPlay

This topic has been discussed already several times before. If my math is correct, this is the 523rd thread saying the same thing. 

Chessinatorrr

what does chess.com answer???

i don't see any problem with it. would the server crash? would the spirit of the "real" chess go down? what is the deal with it?

goBiGGY_on_twitch

Yes +1

wjcsz

absolutely.

wjcsz
Koh-i-noor wrote:

Well, once I played my first game of 960, I've never played another game of 'regular' chess. Too boring! It's like tunnel vision - why waste time memorising all the opening possibilities of one initial setup, when there are 959 other possibilities to explore?

So when Chess 960 is available for playing live, I'll start playing on chess.com. But for now - back to ChessCube

Is chesscube free?

wjcsz
Koh-i-noor wrote:

So when Chess 960 is available for playing live, I'll start playing on chess.com. But for now - back to ChessCube

Yes,I play some blitz games on chesscube just now.It is offer live chess960.Thanks.

morgondag

Well you must pay "cubits" for each game you play. You get some free cubits every day and you can win (but also lose) more, but when you run out of them, you can play no more that day unless you buy more with real cash. Also some of the design is not so good (game list move and you click the wrong game) and they don't have all the other features on Chess.com, so if they aded live 960 here, I would definitely prefer that.

CoenJones

we NEED live960, maybe if it is a premium-only thing

yoursisnodisgrace

Why not? That certainly is one feature that they could add to the site. I would like to know from one of the admins why the site does not have it, especially since it seems that everyone seems overwhelmingly in favor of it. If someone is not for it, they just do not have to play live960.