Forums

Why the Chess960 Minority?

Sort:
DoctorJeff1959

The game looks great, but remember, Bobby Fischer was a rabid antisemite, and I would never play any game named after him. 

RioM2

It would be great if there was a chess variant that was better than current chess. But Chess960 only solves one problem, and that is the problem of needing to learn chess openings - a problem that gets bigger and bigger the better and better chess player you are. 

If Chess960 had been Chess1440 from the start (which is the same as Chess960 but there is no castling rule) then the rules of this variant would have been simpler and the game might have been even more interesting than it is now.

The current castling rules for Chess960 make this variant explicitly a variant for chess enthusiasts and not for the general public, who would take it as the better variant. 

TheBestBeer_Root

I’ve actually gotten bored with standard and way rather a 960, but most certainly some FFA 4 player, though these, yes, both increase your standard skills, but 4 does certainly more than does 960.

TheBestBeer_Root

….it’s also that I stopped the standard when I had so many cheaters. I once had about fifty online dailies and at least eight of them were very fishy, like an instant increase of know how then from what they first were playing, obvious engine garbage. It ticked me off so bad lol I decided to throw every of the fifty and then even continued throwing games lmao till I was nearly the rating of 960! 😂 ….lmao when had been above 1,500, and this all was before roflmao I had even heard OF sandbagging. lol 

TheBestBeer_Root

lol wait… gal, I’m no Japanese cartoon character, you okay? 😂 ..I don’t play Pikachu, nor ever had any anime so lmao whthsnot’s with the gasai anime nonsense? 👀😆

TheBestBeer_Root

…. lol and mole, I mean troll…. you’re not to be dropping didbits from other sites as reddit and lichess links wtf. meh

TheBestBeer_Root

why the links then 😂

RioM2
nicbentulan wrote:

Huh? what's the difference between castling rules in chess960 and chess?

The castling rule in chess has a certain logic. The rook moves to the king and the king jumps over it. Historically, this is a simplification of a rule that originated in the 16th century - the king could make one jump (over one square) during the game. In 960, the mute castling rule goes something like this: the king and rook are magically transferred to another square. It would have been better to abolish castling in 960. 

RioM2
nicbentulan wrote:

Did I say anything incorrect?

It is correct. You still need to add the destination fields and the castling rule is complete. The definition of the rule, is almost as long as all the other rules combined. And therefore it should be deleted to make Chess960 (or Chess1440) more accessible to chess beginners.  And then also more popular.