Forums

Aborting too many live games

Sort:
chessman_calum

landwehr: Turns out I was too tired, I see what you mean now.

bean_Fischer

I don't understand why comments have bothered you to play. It might be good to read those comments. But wouldn't it be a waste of time?

StrategicPlay

Just wait for 15 seconds and let the server abort it. No, trust me. You wouldn't mind if a staller types that in your notes. Would be like 'Look who's talking!'

chessman_calum

because I only want to play people who play fairly, IN MY OPINION. :)

sisu

Let's make it happen!

chessman_calum
sisu wrote:

For a start, many idiots that abort just to spite people before a move is even made. 

What do you mean by that?

chessman_calum

And yes, the abort button does come in handy when the server gives you two games. Happens every once per live sitting for me, usually.

I'm not sure, I've never just "clicked the wrong one". I do both put out seeks and click the dots.

I'd definitely consider myself a real chess player (many on the board tournaments now, play for a club, in a league etc etc) and I most certainly do care about my rating, it tells me what my current form is like, in my opinion anyway. Although I always try and find an opponent above my rating.

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

I would never consider hitting abort unless maybe an emergency has happened.  Let him do something stupid, I win anyway.  Go ahead and use a computer, you're gonna eventually get caught.  It not like my USCF rating will change.

sisu

Let's make it happen!

chessman_calum

Okay, Sharrocks, if you insist

Wesso

chessman_calum, I am in complete agreement!  Funny, I just wrote a blog on this very topic!

chessman_calum

Cheers :)

litevibe

I recently aborted several blitz games because there was no sound indicating my opponent had made a move.  Without sound it takes me longer sometimes to notice my opponents move.  I signed 'out and in' a few times but still had the problem.  I apologised to my opponents, but I did get a warning about aborting to many games.

Bardu

I think this is fair. Well, declining or not issuing a rematch isn't against the rules.

But you also must consider many players abuse aborting as well, preferring only to play white, etc.

There are many such issues like this around here. And there is little to no moderation. This is why I prefer to play on ICC.

Cothurnatus

In my opinion they must use a lot of capchas when one wants to register here and they must do all the PROFILE lines OBLIGATORY to fill and AVATAR OBLIGATORY to add.  P.S. I CAN PLAY WITH BOTS AT MY PC EVEN WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION, I DON'T NEED CHESS.COM TO DO IT! 

cybergirl123

Its fine to abort games, but you just need to know your limits. 

cybergirl123

Don't over abort and then get restricted like me. That was a long time ago tho. 

cybergirl123

Iambbw how do you keep finding out where I post? 

cybergirl123

You must spend a lot of time checking out forums (You know everything).