Forums

Sort:

>:)

Penmaenmawr

A door handle blocked you, amazing.

Dragec
People rarely get blocked for no reason. You could for example block someone for rude comments, others for stalling a lost game, or like I did - someone who keep sending the messages to join particular group. There are other cases as well,what are yours?
heinzie

I was hoping I would be removed from Windows-7_'s block list for Christmas, but to no avail

K-Lite

blocked you from what? from play with all? from play with one specific person? im not following..

Atos

Blocking is a very useful function to avoid people who make rude comments, stall games, abandon games etc. But I don't think that block function should apply in forums.

gorgeous_vulture
Dragec wrote:
People rarely get blocked for no reason. You could for example block someone for rude comments, others for stalling a lost game, or like I did - someone who keep sending the messages to join particular group. There are other cases as well,what are yours?

That's the only reason I've used it so far. For rude players (fortunately I've encountered very few), I disable chat and remember not to play them again

7thSense

I know... I matched Windows-7_ to a game with 2 days per move accidentally and look, now i'm blocked. This guy really upsets me.Cry

kco
Penmaenmawr wrote:

A door handle blocked you, amazing.

or was it a pan-handle ?

heinzie

Haven't you been invited to this one? http://www.chess.com/groups/view/detention-for-windows-7s-blocked-users

BigOto

I think the block feature on any site is very useful, especially ones where swearing is common. I block people all the time on YouTube for swearing at me or advertising some "Earn Subscribers" website. Thankfully this isn't so much of a problem on Chess.com, but I have given quite a few block "warnings" here. I would not be happy if YouTube had a block limit.

Cystem_Phailure

I have 8 members blocked, and it's been quite a while since I've added to the list.  I wish there were different degrees of blocking, because I don't like the idea of blocking someone from being able to contribute whatever they want to any threads that I start.  I have no problems with arguing with or ignoring someone in the forums, but I block someone at the very first instance of a harassing private message or note on my profile page from them.  Why should I put up with crap on my "home" turf?

As for games, I don't play much live chess, but I always have chat disabled when I do play live because I find it distracting.  So I wouldn't have any need to block someone for any comments they made during a game, even if they somehow managed to come up with a comment that bothered me.

ivandh

I am a little proud to say I have never blocked anyone in 3 years and counting.

Cystem_Phailure
ivandh wrote:

I am a little proud to say I have never blocked anyone in 3 years and counting.

It seems like an odd thing to be proud of, but hey, whatever trips your trigger . . . Cool

ChessMarkstheSpot

I think I am blocked by W-7 but I am not sure, nor do I care. Certain people on here try to be a deity, blocking this one and that one for the smallest things or for no reason at all. Not joining a group unless you make that member an Admin ONLY because they demand it since they are an Admin of 300 other groups? To have someone join a group and almost be forced to make them an Admin just because they want to have "power?" Give me a break This is a chess website yet others want to be dictators. *shrug*  Cool

-Mark

EDIT: I'm sure I am going to be blocked by someone for that comment. Oh well. Such is life.

2nd EDIT: I've never blocked anyone, not even our wonderful friend that we've been mentioning. The thought hasn't even crossed my mind despite the extemely low tolerance and patience levels that I have for power-mongers.  Cool

RookedOnChess

To me, being blocked by someone like Windows_7 would be an honor! Honestly, I've never witnessed such audacity on a site in my life! Whoever it was that said they were upset because they were blocked by this little egotistical dictator should really rethink why. It's hard to understand where such blatant arrogance stems from, but the internet is certainly an easy place to try to pull this kind of nonsense. He reminds me a bit of Voldemort! lol

Oh, and btw, I've never had reason to block anyone, but I'm sure glad the option is there because I wouldn't be surprised, after actually finally voicing this opinion here (that I've had ever since I became a member), there's a chance a certain someone might do or say something to 'cause me to block that individual! "Yea" for the "blocking" option!

RookedOnChess

This is very funny stuff! Lovin' the avatar! lol

Cystem_Phailure

Don't be having too much fun in that group, or WinDope will unblock you just to force your resignation from no longer meeting the criteria.