Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Create a Promotional Chess.com Video and Win $1,000!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #201

Timotheous

keeganomahoney wrote:
    adude23 wrote:
    littlehotpot wrote:
    chess700 wrote:
    keeganomahoney wrote:
    oldbones wrote:
    keeganomahoney wrote:
    oldbones wrote:

can someone answer my question wat is answer if i have 153 views and 48 likes

then you have 48 positive views since yiu have 48 likes

Or if you want to work it out the complicated chess.com way then you have 31.37255% positive views which when you multiply it by your total views gives you 48.

I don't know why chess.com didn't just say whoever gets the most likes wins, when that's what it is, this just confuses people.

so its actually how much likes u have

yeah

no you are wrong

suppose there are 250 views, 20 likes, and 30 dislikes.

percentage of likes = 20/(20+30) = 40% positive views

times by 250= 100 chess.com score

Wrong again. They never mentioned about counting the dislikes on the video, just the likes

Wrong again. They never said anything about counting likes, but they did say that they were counting the percentage of likes, which is likes/(likes+dislikes).

Wrong

percentage of likes is likes/total views x 100

e.g. if you had 100 views, 10 likes and 30 dislikes percentage of likes is calcualted as follows: 10/100 x 100

Since 10/100 is .1 it's .1 x 100 which is 10, so 10%

Multiple that by 100 views to give you 10 positive views which as I said before is just how many likes you have. Again, look at post #139 where DeepGreene says dislikes shouldn't be counted as demerits, they don't affect your positive views

• 3 years ago · Quote · #202

Aloizia

HA HA! Bravo Timotheous - finally a post that explains it all!

:)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #203

ItsOkImAwesome

So if I have 1000 views, 100 likes, and 0 dislikes (100% likes), I will have 1000 points, right?

And if I have 1000 views, 100 likes, and 100 dislikes (50% likes), I will have 500 points?

So dislikes DO affect your score... Don't they?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #204

keeganomahoney

ItsOkImAwesome wrote:

So if I have 1000 views, 100 likes, and 0 dislikes (100% likes), I will have 1000 points, right?

And if I have 1000 views, 100 likes, and 100 dislikes (50% likes), I will have 500 points?

So dislikes DO affect your score... Don't they?

No they don't, it is the percentage of your total views, not your total likes and dislikes, in both scenarios you have 10% likes of your total views and when you multiply that by 1000 you get 100 positive views, it is just how many likes you have.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #205

chessplayer11

"Positive views are calculated as total views x the % of “likes”. Example: 1,000 views x 92% likes = 920 positive views."

2,000 views x 92% likes = 1,840 positive views.

92% = 0.92

Your formula of "percentage of likes is likes/total views x 100" is just made up and wouldn't give you 920 anyway. It would be 9,200 they way you're doing it.

Not sure how you're factoring out the number of views especially since zero times anything would be zero.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #206

keeganomahoney

Look I'll prove that dislikes mean nothing.

As an example lets say there are 2 videos A and B. Both have 1000 views. Video A has 1 like and no dislikes. Video B has 999 likes and 1 dislikes.

Now if % of likes were calculated as % of likes + dislikes(which they're not) then positive views would be calculated as follows:

Videos A: 1 is 100% of 1(1 like + 0 dislikes) and 100% x 1000=1000 positive views.

Video B: 999 is 99.9% of 1000(999 likes + 1 dislike) and 99.9% of 1000 =999 positive views.

If this was the case it would mean Video A has more positive views than Video B even though it only has 1 like compared to 999! Clearly this can't be and isn't the case as it would be calculated as follows:

Video A: 1 is 0.1% of 1000(total views) and 0.1% of 1000= 1 positive view.

Video B: 999 is 99.9% of 1000(total views) and 99.9% of 1000= 999 positive views.

As I said before the first way of calculating positive views is ridiculous and the second way is the one that is used. It is the percentage of likes of total views(not likes + dislikes)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #207

chessplayer11

keeganomahoney wrote:

It is the percentage of likes of total views

No where does it say that. You're making that up. It could be percentage of likes of number of subscribers based on what your saying. It says percentage and nothing else.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #208

He1120

Here is my video for music lovers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFpavhkPpJ0 :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #209

Jimnash

what if i make a video which noone will click on and I will make 1 person to like it, then i'd have 100% positive views

• 3 years ago · Quote · #210

WIP_Ihateyou

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #211

Skinnymojo

Could be wrong, but the way I understood it, dislikes won't have any effect on the outcome. The dislikes are obviously out of spite, and misdirected greed, but they are for naught - the judges will only be using the likes/views.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #212

BiffReagle

Skinnymojo wrote:

Could be wrong, but the way I understood it, dislikes won't have any effect on the outcome. The dislikes are obviously out of spite, and misdirected greed, but they are for naught - the judges will only be using the likes/views.

you are wrong sir

• 3 years ago · Quote · #213

Skinnymojo

DeepGreene wrote:
    TD-I-Prevail wrote:

This has just turned into a thumb war. People are automatically disliking everyone else's videos. We have to decide the winner differently.

Why are you guys counting Dislikes as demerits? The rules don't say anything about dislikes. Haters gonna hate, but it doesn't have to count. :)

DeepGreene has "Staff" next to his name. I think I'll go with what s/he says, thanks.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #214

nimaalaie2

like my video :) it's the best :) I'll put it in 40 min it's uploading :) you can share too 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #215

BiffReagle

Skinnymojo wrote:
    DeepGreene wrote:
    TD-I-Prevail wrote:

This has just turned into a thumb war. People are automatically disliking everyone else's videos. We have to decide the winner differently.

Why are you guys counting Dislikes as demerits? The rules don't say anything about dislikes. Haters gonna hate, but it doesn't have to count. :)

DeepGreene has "Staff" next to his name. I think I'll go with what s/he says, thanks.

"On January 1, 2012 we will give $1,000 to the person with the highest number of “positive” YouTube views. Positive views are calculated as total views x the % of “likes”. Example: 1,000 views x 92% likes = 920 positive views."

do you understand how a percentage works? if 92% of people 'like' something, then 8% of them are 'dislikes'.

if i am wrong, please explain and then proceed to load me into a cannon and fire me into a pile of dung.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #216

Timotheous

Most people dont like or dislike videos they just view them. You can ignore all the views, including the dislikes. Just focus on the likes. It is really pretty simple.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #217

WIP_Ihateyou

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #218

Skinnymojo

BiffReagle wrote:
    Skinnymojo wrote:
    DeepGreene wrote:
    TD-I-Prevail wrote:

"On January 1, 2012 we will give $1,000 to the person with the highest number of “positive” YouTube views. Positive views are calculated as total views x the % of “likes”. Example: 1,000 views x 92% likes = 920 positive views."

do you understand how a percentage works? if 92% of people 'like' something, then 8% of them are 'dislikes'.

if i am wrong, please explain and then proceed to load me into a cannon and fire me into a pile of dung.

The wording of both posts makes the matter ambiguous, but I give the admins of the site credit enough to realize - if not right away, at least eventually - that counting dislikes as part of any percentage would open the floodgates for less-than-scrupulous people to attemp to cheat their way to a thousand bucks.

What - you WANT the dislikes to count? You really trust everyone to be fair, to not "game" the system either way?

I know how percentages work, but you obviously don't know what tact and manners are. You should have that looked into, buddy.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #219

George1st

TD-I-Prevail wrote:

HERE IS MY FIRST VIDEO! I WILL BE MAKING MORE! I JUST MADE THIS TODAY! PLEASE WATCH AND LIKE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szr5kBVq4q0

Love it.... : )))

• 3 years ago · Quote · #220

George1st

Post your reply: