Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
GreenPumpkin31

Comeon guys. If you people can learn the words "prophylaxis" "zugzwang" "Zwischenzug" then 
"Correspondence" Is an easy word to use and understand..

Besides we can always name it Online Correspondence Chess. Which imo is perfect. 

FORAA

a welcome tour (intro) for new members would be very helpful for group admins too.

thanks for the idea, babs.

netzach

Main Chess ?  ( is my suggestion:) (main-chess, live-chess, chess960, etc:)

(reasoning being corrospondence-chess is the main type of chess played on the site for groups & teams along with individual challenges. All the others are chess-variants...)

Pawnpusher3

Id say correspondence chess

bcoburn2

how bout - delayed chess.

chess_kebabs
bcoburn2 wrote:

how bout - delayed chess.

It's negative sounding, like 'Slow chess' is. 

netzach

like that ! '' engine-free,regularly-monitored,squeeky-clean,new&improved,fair,correspondence/cheat-free/postal/chess.. '' :)

Pawnpusher3

Lol Its kinda obvious no engines re allowed

FORAA

in-line?

theriverman
netzach wrote:

like that ! '' engine-free,regularly-monitored,squeeky-clean,new&improved,fair,correspondence/cheat-free/postal/chess.. '' :)

You are on to something. Let me know.  lol

theriverman

Online Chess and Correspondence Chess both are general terms. 

erik
sirness wrote:

"Anytime Chess"

i actually like that... (not making a decision, just noting a good name i hadn't thought of)

netzach
theriverman wrote:
netzach wrote:

You are on to something. Let me know.  lol

Simplifies to: Efrmscnifccfpc Chess

Still hard to pronounce though... :)

theriverman

Controlled Response Chess?  Tongue out

theriverman

Anytime Chess.....hmmmm.  Simple.  Erik you may be on to something!!

theriverman

In the summer turn on your AC.

netzach

Quite like '' Anytime Chess '' also. That is simple & terse. Definitely one of the better suggestions. Also is more modern than '' correspondence-chess '' so appropriate given the rising-popularity of chess on i-phones etc..

theriverman

now I have to go play my AC DC!

theriverman

adverb   

at any time regardless of hour, date, etc.; whenever.

Slang Dictionary

Anytime definition

1. interj. 
    You are welcome.; Happy to oblige. (Sometimes said inresponse to Thank you.) MARY: Thanks for the ride. PAUL:Anytime. Think nothing of it. :
Gert-Jan

anytime chess sounds good. Erik can you make another servey about the most popular names and new suggested names?