Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #961

Stampnl

"Slow chess" clearly expresses the main distinction with blitz chess and also it sounds ok.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #962

xqsme

DID you see post 920..."Chess Restante''?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #963

e4nf3

chess for dunderheads

• 2 years ago · Quote · #964

TheGrobe

xqsme wrote:

DID you see post 920..."Chess Restante''?

Captures it nicely, but I had to look it up, so it's problematic in that respect.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #965

xqsme

Has intruiging elements then , and broadens the mind.Could be a rewarding gambit... bird in hand saves lot of b(l)eating about in bush !

• 2 years ago · Quote · #966

himath2009

• 2 years ago · Quote · #967

eddiewsox

How about CCC, Computer Corespondence Chess?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #968

ChazR

After fifty pages, I suggest Staff summarize the list to ten choices and call the question for a vote.  Maybe eleven choices, including, "Who cares."

• 2 years ago · Quote · #969

chess_kebabs

or 12 choices.. "We will choose what 'we' like the best, regardless of what the majority likes".

• 2 years ago · Quote · #970

Stampnl

I don't think there is a good solution to the cheating problem.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #971

TheGrobe

I don't think you're in the right thread.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #972

himath2009

Good thinking...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #973

onthehouse

Online Correspondence Chess.

Terrible?  Too long?

Then how about; " OC Chess " ?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #974

Sooner

chess_kebabs wrote:

or 12 choices.. "We will choose what 'we' like the best, regardless of what the majority likes".

I would amend your comment to the following: "or 12 choices.. 'We will choose what 'we' like the best, regardless of what Erik likes." After all, this site is in business for the profit of Erik but for the enjoyment of its members.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #975

chessplayer11

TheGrobe wrote:
    chessplayer11 wrote:

I wonder if any one is able to state at least three things that Traditional Correspondence Chess actually have in common with Online Chess here.

The only similarity I can find is the amount of time it takes.

So far all I got is that no one can deal with change. I await your failure.

Communication over a distance
    Non-concurrent gameplay
    It's chess

You wouldn't use Correspondence Chess for someone nearby or in the same house even, but you certainly can do it here.

Non-concurrent? If you stay on the same page, how different is it from regular chess?

It's chess? So you couldn't think of a third one... :/

• 2 years ago · Quote · #976

chessplayer11

TheGrobe wrote:

I'm coming to the conclusion that he's just trolling.  Surely he can't be that obtuse without it being intentional.

I'm trolling? Maybe you should read the first post. ...and subsequent ones by the guy who runs the site. I suppose he's trolling too?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #977

Sooner

Yes, TheGrobe, chessplayer11 does seem to be just trolling, trying to show us how clever he can be. Too bad for him that cleverness is no substitute for sound, sensible reasoning. His approach to the naming issue is merely that of the sophist and yields results as specious as theirs were.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #978

chessplayer11

At least I've given reasons for my opinion. All you can do is cry like a child. Maybe if you hold your breath long enough you'll get your way.

I mean, you thought the survey was an election, so why not?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #979

chess_kebabs

Sooner wrote:
    chess_kebabs wrote:

I would amend your comment to the following: "or 12 choices.. 'We will choose what 'we' like the best, regardless of what Erik likes." After all, this site is in business for the profit of Erik but for the enjoyment of its members.

Well my friend, let's see the final outcome first, to see whose wording was more accurate.  :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #980

chess_kebabs

Did anyone else not know that the site is actually owned and run by Erik and his partner Jay?

When I say his partner, I don't mean that sort of partner Embarassed lol.  I mean his business partner. Money mouth

I only just realised that from stumbling across this forum.

http://www.chess.com/article/view/about-chesscom?

Post your reply: