Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...


  • 2 years ago · Quote · #921

    Metaright

    erik wrote:

     Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

    I know it's a little late in the topic, but how is all chess online?

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #922

    cookiemonster161140

    e4nf3 wrote:

    Easy for you to say. When was the last time you wrote a letter...make that typed a letter on a typewriter?

    I go back not only to the electric typewriter but the manual typewriters. I go back to ice boxes, radio days and carbon paper.

    "Correspondence chess", if you checked back I don't recall how many posts ago, is what I, too, recommended.

    I will maintain that "correspondence" is a very dated word. Tell me about Morse code...I had an F.C.C. commercial license for it. That too is deader than a Dodo bird.

    And don't lecture me about the founding of chess. I've been playing it for over a half century.

    Anyway, it may be time to discard the old, archaic "correspondence" word. You ought to realize that it was played through the mail...thus the "correspondence". And it wasn't played via the use of computer databases.

    These are further reasons that "correspondence" should be chucked.

    BTW...I am the old guy at 68. Some of you young 'uns sound like the old farts to me (lol).

    Seriously...time to move away from a word that had meaning in Charles Dickens era...but not so much anymore.

    Morse Code is not dead. Hams and lots of other folks use it every day. 

    In fact, Morse Code saved the world. Did you not see the movie "Independence Day" ??? 

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #923

    chessplayer11

    Metaright wrote:
    erik wrote:

     Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

    I know it's a little late in the topic, but how is all chess online?

    I'm fairly sure he meant all chess play online here.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #924

    Metaright

    chessplayer11 wrote:
    Metaright wrote:
    erik wrote:

     Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

    I know it's a little late in the topic, but how is all chess online?

    I'm fairly sure he meant all chess play online here.

    Ah. I was thinking that, but I wan'tsure why he worded it like that.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #925

    Ziryab

    TheGrobe wrote:

    Yeah, there seems to be a misconception that correspondence refers specifically to mail.  Mail is one example of correspondence, and since it was such a good adjective to describe it they became somewhat synonymous.

    If you look at the actual definition of correspondence, it's non-concurrent distance communication between parties.  The medium itself is irrelevant.  In that sense, it's actually the perfect adjective for turn based chess here.

    Your point seems to be an extremely difficuly one to grasp. Most folks just don't see it that way.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #926

    chessplayer11

    Distance isn't relevant. I can play someone in china as easily as in my very own home. Just one more reason why it doesn't fit anymore.

    Not sure why the temporal aspect is ignored, as that is the only way to accurately describe it. Else you could be describing any type of chess played here with that term.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #927

    TheGrobe

    chessplayer11 wrote:
    TheGrobe wrote:

    How did it get to the server?  How does it get to your computer?

    Packets of data are sent. Same way Live Chess works.

    So it doesn't all stay on the server....

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #928

    Ziryab

    TheGrobe wrote:
    chessplayer11 wrote:
    TheGrobe wrote:

    How did it get to the server?  How does it get to your computer?

    Packets of data are sent. Same way Live Chess works.

    So it doesn't all stay on the server....

    It all stays on the server, but is visible on your screen because information was sent to you. I sorta think that's what you said.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #929

    ChazR

    cookiemonster161140 wrote:
    e4nf3 wrote:

    Easy for you to say. When was the last time you wrote a letter...make that typed a letter on a typewriter?

    I go back not only to the electric typewriter but the manual typewriters. I go back to ice boxes, radio days and carbon paper.

    With all due respect, Cookiemonster, the next time you go back, please stay there.  Samuel Morse is dead and do is his code unless you are traped in a air pocket in a capsized boat and have to bang out SOS.  Welcome to the 21st century.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #930

    TheGrobe

    Well, my moves originate with me, it doesn't get to the server until I enter it into my computer and submit it, and even then it still has to make it's way to my opponent's computer, who may or may not be present to see it.

    If that's not correspondence, I don't know what is.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #931

    Ziryab

    chessplayer11 wrote:
    ibiwisi wrote:

    I earlier suggested "Simultaneous Chess" or "Simul Chess," but the idea was met with resounding silence, so I'll move on.

    Simultaneous Chess has more to do with the style of the player and not much to do with the style or method of play.

     

    The term Simul has an entirely different meaning in chess, although it has some bearing in correspondence because most players are indeed conducting their own little simuls against opponents who each have their own simuls against others who have theirs, and on until every single chess player in the world is absorbed into a single event.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #932

    Sooner

    .

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #933

    TheGrobe

    Mine is actually literal-minded as well.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #934

    pwwaring

    Correspondence Chess - Wikipedia

    Correspondence chess is chess played by various forms of long-distance correspondence, usually through a correspondence chess server, through email or by the postal system; less common methods which have been employed include fax and homing pigeon.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #935

    TheGrobe

    All qualify as correspondence....

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #936

    Sooner

    TheGrobe wrote:

    I'll repeat:  The medium itself is irrelevant.

    Turn based play here is non-concurrent communication of chess moves over a distance just like it was with telegraph, just like it was with postcards and just like it was with e-mail.

    Correspondence is an entirely appropriate -- in fact, a perfect -- adjective.

    TheGrobe's conceptual approach is much more reasonable and realistic than chessplayer11's literal-minded approach is. The difference is just more evidence that the name should obviously be "correspondence chess." But let's skip the gimmiky "echess." The venerable game of chess should be accorded more dignity by those who are devoted to it.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #937

    chess_kebabs

    Metaright wrote:
    erik wrote:

     Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

    I know it's a little late in the topic, but how is all chess online?

    I think Erik meant all online chess is online chess.. e.g. Live chess is also played online.. hence the term 'online chess' won't differentiate between correspondence chess (ding!) and live chess. 

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #938

    Sooner

    TheGrobe wrote:

    Mine is actually literal-minded as well.

    I think TheGrobe's approach to the naming issue is conceptual, not literal, because his emphasis is on the concept of two distant chess players playing a game of chess by long-distance transmissions of their moves regardless of the literal means of the transmission. That means that the term "correspondence chess" can reasonably and understandably with historical continuity be used to designate any of them and is thus the best name. That's very different from chessplayer11's idea that, somehow, the literal means of transmission requires a different name for each one. His thinking is therefore not very sophisticated or flexible, to put the best face on it.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #939

    travis1010

    I said this when they first asked this question when the site began, and I'll say it again.  Correspondence Chess the the correct name for what they call "Online Chess".  

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #940

    Sooner

    Absolutely correct! Now if only Erik would just listen to us!


Back to Top

Post your reply: