...said.  Lol nice dog

• 2 years ago · Quote · #843

Pawnpusher3

Why is correspondence chess still not being used... Lol

• 2 years ago · Quote · #844

Ziryab

Pawnpusher3 wrote:

Why is correspondence chess still not being used... Lol

That the term that I use when I blog about what I do here.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/search/label/correspondence

• 2 years ago · Quote · #845

xqsme

Correspondingly ...how about "Chess Restante" similar to well known correspondence usage of Post Restante?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #846

e4nf3

fortnight chess

• 2 years ago · Quote · #847

ncpharaoh

Paul Revere Chess

• 2 years ago · Quote · #848

ncpharaoh

Rebound Chess

• 2 years ago · Quote · #849

e4nf3

Your typical online chess player:

• 2 years ago · Quote · #850

Sooner

This thread has revealed the amazing number of comedians there are in chess.com's membership. Who could have guessed it? It might not be quite so pathetic, though, if at least a few of them had any wit or cleverness at all about them. By the way, "online chess" and "turn-based chess" are truly lame designations for what is merely a computerized version of correspondence chess. Pardon me for stating the painfully obvious, but all "online chess" games played on this site are online chess; and, in all of those "turn-based games," the players always take turns making their moves. Thus, all the tortured efforts herein to imagine "creative" names simply collapse logic and common sense in upon themselves. The absurdly strenuous efforts in this thread put one in mind of the old saying: "The mountains go into labor, and are delivered of a mouse." It really takes no effort of any intellectual proportion to make the conceptual leap from postal chess to its computerized, slightly modified counterpart, all the while using the same term that would be familiar to anyone who is any kind of chess player at all, i.e., correspondence chess. Aren't there any other more useful, potentially productive things to which we can turn our attention and efforts as we try to cope with this nightmarish monstrosity which chess.com and its propellor heads suddenly foisted upon their customers? And no apologies to the propellor heads, either. In fact, I suggest they use their next vacation to visit the real world just to see it. If there is anything they are not overly burdened with, it's a sense of reality.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #851

chess_kebabs

I agree Sooner. Why call it something it's not.

It's Correspondence Chess. None of the other given names truly represents it well. Everyone who wants to play it will play it, regardless of what you  call it, so  might as well stick to what it actually is. And you can add a small grey line under the title  to help the casual players who don't understand the term, if Erik is still concerned about players not understanding the term. Not like 'Daily Chess' explains what it is any  better or any other name dropped here.  I personally don't think changing the name is going to be a marketing advantage for the above reasons given, because no new names dropped here any better explained what the games are.

To  me changing the name to something like 'daily chess' or 'anytime chess' or any of the other names given, most being corny/silly names, puts the game of chess on par with the game of tiddly winks. Chess isn't that basic and we don't need to treat the players as if they are basic. We just need to help the casual players understand the term maybe.  Sorry if I offended any tiddly winks players here.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #852

Stampnl

what about chess4cheats?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #853

chess_kebabs

what about chess4cheatsbecausethereisnocentaurpoolhere ?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #854

Stampnl

The one thing that distinguishes correspondence chess from other forms of chess right now is the RAMPANT amount of cheating involved IMHO :) so it only seems appropriate

• 2 years ago · Quote · #855

chess_kebabs

I wasn't being negative MonteChristosPawn, just stating the fact. :)

For many anyway, the ones who wouldn't cheat if there was a Centaur pool here. I concede 'some' will still use engines in the main pool and cheat even if there was a Centaur pool here and they should be banned if caught, but many will be happy to play in their own designated respected non-interfering pool, if given that opportunity. It will get them out of the main pool and everyone will be as happy as Larry.. except the die hard engine haters who would rather see them burn in hell than be allowed to play here, even if they are playing in a pool that has nothing to do with them. Personally I would never use one, never care to use one, but I know many do love them. It's obvious because we all know many use them here. :) So give them a place to play and the majority of engine users should no longer be damaging the ratings of the non engine users nor the pleasure of the game for them. :)

It's a win/win for everyone. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #856

chess_kebabs

Stampnl wrote:

The one thing that distinguishes correspondence chess from other forms of chess right now is the RAMPANT amount of cheating involved IMHO :) so it only seems appropriate

It is 'RAMPANT" Stampni, I agree with you. Time a solution was found.

Post #898 is the solution.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #857

TheGrobe

Man, at least in the cheating forum it was half-ways relevant (but still ridiculous).

Here it's just agenda pushing in a completely unrelated thread.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #858

chess_kebabs

Am just responding to those who keep saying chess4cheats as the new name and other similar type cheating names.. I wasn't the one to bring up references to cheating in the name suggestions.  ;)

Why didn't you target those people Grobe?  No one is allowed to respond to such suggestions? 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #859

Jedi_Von

"Now or Later" Chess. Or maybe even "Now and Later" Chess

• 2 years ago · Quote · #860

netzach

Only names that really suit ARE long-names..

net-correspondenceChess

Post your reply: