• 2 years ago · Quote · #1021

ChazR

You're right, 

You like being right.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1022

Sooner

TheGrobe wrote:

Preventive. Preventative isn't a word.

Actually, preventative is a word, but it is substandard English. See: http://grammarist.com/spelling/preventative-preventive/. I must say, though, that I am more than a little surprised that ChazR, who strongly gives the impression that he thinks he is the most brilliant light in the chess.com firmament, would use less than the best English available to him, since the word preventative is considerably less than the "perfectly good word" which he asserts it is.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1023

TheGrobe

I stand corrected. Interesting, though that the adjective definition above is incorrect (preventive is the adjective -- eg. preventive maintenance, whereas preventative is the noun -- eg. preventive maintenance is a good preventative against breakdowns). It even goes as far as to use the right word, preventive, in the example sentence.

Usage was still incorrect in post 1056 above, though.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1024

Sooner

ChazR, I don't think it's a pity at all "that the Great Bard of Avon is not alive to help us in this quest" to find a new name for "online chess" or "turn-based chess." After all, we do have you; and you give the strong impression that you know far more than anyone else on the site about Shakespeare. Can't you just step in for him?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1025

xqsme

Could someone please list the the names of the other systems still available for playing chess on  the internet? This is the only one I know of.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1026

Sooner

Wrong again, TheGrobe. See: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preventative. Preventative is used interchangeabley as a noun or an adjective.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1027

himath2009

When we are done here, we can turn our attention to music - there are so many archaic terms there that could benefit from our newspeak zeal...
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #1028

Sooner

Actually, my zeal is for oldspeak to a certain extent, not newspeak. Perhaps "traditionalspeak" would be a more apt term for my meaning.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1029

xqsme

Takes all kinds....so long as we are not unduly fardelled by bared bodkins.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1030

TheGrobe

Preventative is disputed.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1031

himath2009

Sooner wrote:

Actually, my zeal is for oldspeak to a certain extent, not newspeak. Perhaps "traditional speak" would be a more apt term for my meaning................

I know, Gerry, I was not referring to you... Just wanted to make a point that what should have been a simple and done discussion on whether one should adhere to the (obvious, to me at least) name "Correspondence Chess" or not, is turning into a tedious thread with an Orwellian (or Kafkaesque, if you prefer) flavour to it...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1032

e4nf3

chess for the lethargic

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1033

Sooner

You got that right, Hari! This thread became a verbal analogue to the carnival house of mirrors long ago and, like Boris Karloff's "The Mummy," continues ever to make its slow, laborious, senseless, but ineluctable way onward, dragging one leg along behind it all the while.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1034

BigLew

CHECK CHESS! You have to CHECK in daily to CHECK on the progress of your game, to see if your opponent worked his way out of CHECK and is only a couple of moves from putting you in CHECK mate.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1035

Sooner

TheGrobe wrote:

Preventative is disputed.

Your authority?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1036

ChazR

For anyone this may apply to:

There is the bona fide condition of Histrionic Personality Disorder (section 301.50 of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychological Association (DSM-IV). 

This disorder is characterized by an excessive attention seeking behavior where the person is uncomfortable in situations when he/she/it is not the center of attention.  The person consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention and also uses seductive or sexually provocative behavior inappropriately and prematurely believes relationships are intimate.  The style of speech is impressionistic, lacks detail, and show a theatrical (drama-queen/king) exaggerated expression of emotion.  Such a person displays shifting and shallow emotions and is easily suggestible and influenced by others or circumstances.  The prognosis is guarded in the case of this disorder, due mostly to the person’s lack of insight and awareness into themselves.  This is compounded by the person’s failure to face reality and recognize they are just not so special or important.

In other words, opinions are like belly-buttons, everyone has one.  The oppressive need of one person to be the best is rather childish.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1037

AlCzervik

ChazR wrote:

There is the bona fide condition of Histrionic Personality Disorder (section 301.50 of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychological Association (DSM-IV). 

This disorder is characterized by an excessive attention seeking behavior where the person is uncomfortable in situations when he/she/it is not the center of attention.  The person consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention and also uses seductive or sexually provocative behavior inappropriately and prematurely believes relationships are intimate.  The style of speech is impressionistic, lacks detail, and show a theatrical (drama-queen/king) exaggerated expression of emotion.  Such a person displays shifting and shallow emotions and is easily suggestible and influenced by others or circumstances.  The prognosis is guarded in the case of this disorder, due mostly to the person’s lack of insight and awareness into themselves.  This is compounded by the person’s failure to face reality and recognize they are just not so special or important.

In other words, opinions are like belly-buttons, everyone has one.  The oppressive need of one person to be the best is rather childish.

This sounds exactly like one of the chess.com members.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1038

motherinlaw

Sorry guys---you misconstrued the (mildly misquoted) cookbook (DSM) definition of Histrionic Personality Disorder.   I don't know what person you're talking about, but I'm jumping in because as a psychologist, I hate seeing pseudo-psychological info being disseminated.  Someone with HPD doesn't need to be "the best" or be "right" ----With HPD, the need is to be "noticed," to be looked at, listened to, sought out by others to be given more attention. The key is in the first sentence: "excessive attention-seeking behavior."  That's it. The only additional inference we can add is that the person does not like "being ignored."

One more caution: as with all personality categories, there's a broad spectrum of intensity in the characteristics.  You've quoted a "Disorder," which indicates a pathological degree of symptamotology.  A "Histionic Personality TYPE" is just a normal variant of all the many "types" of homo sapiens you run into every day---on the street----or on a site for "Interwebs Electrochess." Laughing (sorry, couldn't resist.)  

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1039

e4nf3

snooker chess

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1040

Sooner

ChazR wrote:

And the relevance of your comment to the issue of a suitable new name for "online chess" or "turn-based chess" would be what?

Post your reply: