Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
AndyClifton

That's the same thing one of my heroes said... Smile

("And just remember:  if you can't laugh at yourself...make fun of other people.")

motherinlaw

Great minds ......

Here_Is_Plenty

...dont belong here.

Bur_Oak

question: "What is the opposite of blitz?"

answer: Chess.

winerkleiner
motherinlaw wrote:

Great minds ......

...have great behinds.  Sorry I couldn't resist, my neighbor once say that to me. Smile

You_haxored_me

Since the only thing that is different between online chess and "live" chess is the amount of time, I think Multi-Day Chess works best. As you play in multiples of days.

Correspondence chess makes as much sense as calling live chess OTB chess. I'm as far away from the server for live chess as I am for online chess. So distance isn't relevant. And I'm also sending and receiving a message to the server in live chess as I would in online chess. (I can even turn my computer off and log back in later in a live chess game. Something else that doesn't separate it from online chess.)

If you want correspondence as the term, then ANY online turn-based game could have that added to the beginning.

Correspondence backgammon. Why not?

I supposed if you were forced to check your mail to see if it was your move I could understand. I just come back to the site and continue that way.

The only real difference between live chess and online chess is live chess doesn't have a submit button. (Although it should in the premove area, along with deleting a move instead of having to delete the entire line.)

motherinlaw

"No-Hurry-Take-Your-Time-to-Get-It-Off-Your" Chess

Here_Is_Plenty

Duh-Chess.

Ziryab

The internet is not the Pony Express, but electronic communications are correspondence whether through direct person-to-person messages or via a website. Hence correspondence chess can be played online just as it has been played via telegraph, post card, and email.

blake78613

I would call it Correspondence chess because the rules of correspondance chess are pretty well established.  Calling it something else will result in people questioning whether the use of books and data bases are legal.

winerkleiner

Is this 6 month debate still active?

Berder

Call it "correspondence chess" because all chess played over the internet is "online chess."

gaereagdag

cybernaught chess...if you want the worst name for it that I can come up with lol

Here_Is_Plenty

Mutter, mutter, I thought someone would at least notice the play on words...Duh-Chess....person married to a Duke....fits as you take your time and go "Duh"?....oh never mind.  Philistines.  After 1121 comments it might be time to give up on this one anyway.  Not enough kitten photos; they are the mark of a truly great thread.

Ziryab

This thread began as a request from Erik, who abandoned the thread when it became clear that tradition trumps innovation in certain matters.

blake78613

The only real difference between live chess and online chess is live chess doesn't have a submit button. (Although it should in the premove area, along with deleting a move instead of having to delete the entire line.)

The rules are very different.  In Oneline chess you are allowed to use books and data bases and analyse on a seperate board.  Live chess is an attempt to duplicate OTB chess.

motherinlaw
Samsch wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

Not really.

----- Good Answer!  Laughing

winerkleiner
motherinlaw wrote:
Samsch wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

Not really.

----- Good Answer!  

Ok it still active, how about

slow ball chess

motherinlaw

"slow ball chess" --- nice, but it hasn't a slow ball's chance in Heck of winning this "contest."  Surely you must see that.  (Apologies for calling you "Shirley" --- no offense intended...)

Here_Is_Plenty
motherinlaw wrote:

"slow ball chess" --- nice, but it hasn't a slow ball's chance in Heck of winning this "contest."  Surely you must see that.  (Apologies for calling you "Shirley" --- no offense intended...)

You leave poor shirley alone.  You're as bad as Leslie Nielsen.