Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Does Pompousness Exist?


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #1

    TheGrobe

    This is the definition given by TheFreeDictionary.com:

    pom·pous  (pmps)
    adj.

    1. Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders.
    2. Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation.
    3. Chracterized by pomp or stately display; ceremonious: a pompous occasion."

     

    In another thread I proposed that pompousness doesn't really exist, and that it's just a an invention of my inferiors, because my inferiors, differently from me, cannot posit an argument very well. This is true also for the elite (the 10-20 most active posters here), and always differently from me they don't really KNOW if what they call pompous is actually their better or not. Instead my assertions are objective, and contain no pompousness, but rather undeniable university-educated fact, something my inferiors cannot do. Without mentioning that I can predict my inferior's arguments 10-15 moves distance in less than 1 second.

     

    There are many arguements from my inferiors which support my thesis, and will publish some when I have a little more time.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #2

    fburton

    Your post displays a certain pomposity, if you don't mind me saying. Tongue out

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #3

    1pawndown

    I think the post was an attempt at irony.

    Incidently, outside of chess I have the misfortune of knowing an idividual, who personifies "pomposity." Hence as long as he exists, pomposity exists. 

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #4

    fburton

    Oh dear, really?? My irony detector must be on the blink again. Embarassed

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

    TheGrobe

    More satire than just irony, but yes, it's hardly genuine.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #6

    jpcman

    TheGrobe wrote:

     

    This is the definition given by TheFreeDictionary.com:

    pom·pous  (pmps)
    adj.

    Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders. Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation. Chracterized by pomp or stately display; ceremonious: a pompous occasion."

     

    In another thread I proposed that pompousness doesn't really exist, and that it's just a an invention of my inferiors, because my inferiors, differently from me, cannot posit an argument very well. This is true also for the elite (the 10-20 most active posters here), and always differently from me they don't really KNOW if what they call pompous is actually their better or not. Instead my assertions are objective, and contain no pompousness, but rather undeniable university-educated fact, something my inferiors cannot do. Without mentioning that I can predict my inferior's arguments 10-15 moves distance in less than 1 second.

     

    There are many arguements from my inferiors which support my thesis, and will publish some when I have a little more time.


    You say your arguement contains undeniable university-educated fact; however, I'm fairly certain universities do not claim some people are inferior to others. Perhpas, in other periods of time, some people were considered inferior (e.g. African American slaves), but today, many countries including Canada and the United States do not believe in "inferiors." Your arguement is quite hypocritical, and frankly, quite arrogant. I would admit my arguement is rather pompous, but apparently, pompousness does not exist.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #7

    alcro

    fburton wrote:

    Your post displays a certain pomposity, if you don't mind me saying. 


    agreed

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

    MyCowsCanFly

    TheGrobe wrote:

    More satire than just irony, but yes, it's hardly genuine.


    What's funny is having to explain it's satire.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    GlennBk

    Its a derogatory term to deflate the unknowledgable wind-bag especially used against those who seek to inflate their own egos.

    Sometimes it can be spiteful, crushing those who like us all, seek a little respectful recognition from their fellow human beings.

    Those who are most dangerously prone to pomposity are the expert and the skilled, for they have something to boast about and easily develop a tendency to put down the ordinary person.

    What endears us to our animal friends is their complete lack of pomposity.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    TheGrobe

    MyCowsCanFly wrote:
    TheGrobe wrote:

    More satire than just irony, but yes, it's hardly genuine.


    What's funny is having to explain it's satire.


    It comes as no surprise to me.  I can hardly expect my inferiors to have ever stepped foot in a library to actually learn anything, let alone to have gone to university for a four-year degree in English literature.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    TheGrobe

    GlennBk wrote:

    What endears us to our animal friends is their complete lack of pomposity.


    There may be something here, as we well know that all animals are equal (although some are more equal than others).

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #13

    theoreticalboy

    What people seem to be forgetting is the famous Jean-Jacques Q. Aureolis experiment, in which he raised three sons with the explicit intention of turning them into the most tight-assed pompous pricks imaginable, and wholly succeeded in doing so, with a particularly stunning ability to exude authority on any subject imaginable due to the simple fact of having read a book (whether absorbed or not).

    Clearly, inherent pomposity is a myth; it is rather a trait to be acquired through hours of diligent study, alongside focused praxis.  Those who look at their superiors in pomposity and attribute the skill differential to natural characteristics are just not working hard enough to be a total dick.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #14

    Maxx_Dragon

    Heh, heh, heh … for a second We thought We might be the target of the pomposity accusation but realized that We are too humble for this to be true. But We have been accused of pretentiousness for Our use of the first person plural in Our posts. But that is merely dragon-speak, and besides We do not give a good rat's ass about what humans think of Us anyway.  >:[

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #15

    fburton

    GlennBk wrote:

    What endears us to our animal friends is their complete lack of pomposity.


    And/or vice versa!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #16

    sapientdust

    Nicely done!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #17

    eddiewsox

    One cannot cognitively ascertain whether or not pompousness exists pursuant to consciousness, in congruance with consciousness, prerequsite to consciousness or as a direct result of consciousness, be it ours or anothers, therefore and ergo I heretofore conclude that it may or may not be the case, as it were, to wit: perhaps. 

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #18

    fburton

    *giggle*

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #19

    TheGrobe

    By the way, anyone who disagrees with me is going to be accused of being the result of an overly promiscuous mother and summarily blocked.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #20

    PrawnEatsPrawn

    TheGrobe wrote:
    By the way, anyone who disagrees with me is going to be accused of being the result of an overly promiscuous mother and summarily blocked.

    You've met my mother?


Back to Top

Post your reply: