Forums

fair play - lame aborting

Sort:
macrosgambit

There should be a rating loss if you abort. Most of the time I challenge someone of significantly higher rating they refuse to move so the computer aborts the game. Its pretty obvious and cowardly tactics.

PLAVIN81

IF A PLAYER ABORTS HIS GAMETHE PLAYER DOES SO AS A COPOUT. 1 AGREE THAT IF A PLAYER ABORTS HIS GAME IT SHOULD BE RULED AS A LOSS. 

rickdaniels52

sometimes i've had to abort a game due to urgent reasons other than chess unless a game is played no win or loss should be awarded if it becomes excessive i believe the policy in place is adquate

whirlwind2011

Please don't worry, folks. If the server aborts a game, the abortion is charged to the player who reneged. If a member racks up too many, the member will be punished according to the Fair Play Policy.

An aborted game should not normally count as a loss, nor should it entail a loss of rating points, because a player may have a legitimate reason for aborting in a particular circumstance. However, as I said, too many abortions will result in sanctions.

Byers_CJ

I think the point being made is that the present limit on what constitutes "too many abortions" is far too high, at least in the minds of players who regularly face higher opponents who then just cancel to avoid the risk.

JGambit

you can set limits for what numbers you would like to play

Tapani

Maybe have abored games cost you one rating point? Something you can afford when you *really* have to abort...

The argument against.. have had someone just sit there and not moving (I am white and play the first move, and then the other guy just does not move. Their time is ticking, so they have exhausted their aborts ... but I am here to play, and not just trade time for online rating points, so I should be able to abort).

Or if I see that my opponent has lots of "hate notes" about engine use or disconnects, I should be able to abort and not play them.