Forums

-> Help Translate Chess.com Text into Other Languages

Sort:
ElKitch
Vivinski wrote:
Phobetor wrote:
linksspringer wrote:

Some of the "phrases" are quite lengthy.
I submitted a translation to Dutch. A few remarks:
- There is a temptation to follow the English sentence structure closely. While this may result in correct Dutch, it doesn't necessarily result in natural sounding Dutch. This is why professional translators earn their keep. But I did the best I could.
- There are a number of user interface terms like "save" and "gadget". It is a bit of challenge to translate these correctly.
[I just googled for some guidelines, and found:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/275/uitgangspunten_en_richtlijnen
Now I realise I should have translated "Sign In" as "Aanmelden", not as "Inloggen". ]
- Good point by hicetnunc about context and space available. English is a more compact language than Dutch for instance.

Ah, I also entered a Dutch translation and I also used "Inloggen" instead of "Aanmelden"... I guess it's both correct, but "Aanmelden" is a bit more Dutch (and thus maybe better) than "Inloggen", which is semi-English.

Also I'm not sure what to do with words like "Google Friends" (is that in caps for a reason? is it a Google service? or is it just the contacts you have in Google?) and "Chess Gadget" (again, is there a reason for the caps? is "Chess Gadget" the title of the gadget?). A bit more information would be nice so that we can adjust the translation to the context.

I used inloggen as well :P

Well in my opinion "inloggen" is better than "aanmelden". Aanmelden sounds like "sign up" to me.

I wanted to help translate but when I go translatormode I dont see where I can translate? If I am correct it should display when the mouse floats over english.. but I dont see anything floating?

theunsjb
izak_G wrote:

Afrikaans??

Live Chess = Lewendige Skaak

Turn-Based Chess = Beurtskaak

Tactics Trainer = Taktiek Afrigter

Online Coaching = Aanlyn Afrigting

Today's Hot Topics = Vandag se Warm Onderwerpe

Video Lessons = Beeldradio Lesse

Maybe translating to Afrikaans is not such a good idea... WinkTongue Out

msiipola

Question: How are plurals managed?

I you want to have a good and correct translation this must be possible.

MSC157
georgez wrote:
MSC157 wrote:
mr_bebop wrote:

In languages having polite and colloquial pronouns: how should "you" be translated? Also: If you happen to want lithuanian some day, you may inform me, I guess there arent too many capable of translating into that.

Deutsch & Slowenisch are two of them: sie/SIE - vi/Vi :)

Deutsch: du / Sie

If you're looking like that, then in Slovene: ti/vi

msiipola

Why is it called "Show my latest Activity"? As I can see it all about postings (notes?). If so, why not call it "Posting" and not "Activity?

tiagosilva

Hey, do you still need Portuguese translations?

TheDodoBird

for "Sign in" I wrote: einloggen

one could also wright anmelden

P.S. : how about swiss german? :P

gymka
msiipola rašė:

Question: How are plurals managed?

I you want to have a good and correct translation this must be possible.

there are no plural form feature. in my case Lithuanian has 3 plural forms, so translation looks very bad. and  everythere is used same case, in english everything ok: "play chess", "i miss my chess bord", "i don't know how to play in chess" everythere same word "chess", but in other languages there are cases and in these sentences are different words. chess.com uses same word everythere eg. game names "Live chess", "Vote chess"

Faterson

I must say I gave up translating because the software just isn't up to the task. Like you say, many languages have several plural forms (Slovak has two: numbers 2-4 have one plural form, and numbers 5-higher have a different plural form), plus there is declination and conjugation and masculine/feminine verb forms, but the strings proposed by the software for translation do not fully take that those grammar features into account.

There is also a weird bug where I would translate a string but it would pop right back up like 10 more times on every page, as if it failed to register the translation already submitted. I think this was happening to me with some geographical names such as "Catalonia" and "Southern Georgia" (is the latter a country at all?).

And so, I have switched back to using the English interface because it just pains the eye (and brain, you could say) to see the Google auto-translated nonsense all the time, or to see basic grammar rules of your native language violated all the time. I'm afraid the chances are slim for the interface to get properly translated using the current tools only.

If it's any consolation for chess.com, translations of Facebook interface into other languages are no less awful. It just can't be done properly in this way, I'm afraid.

gymka
Faterson rašė:

There is also a weird bug where I would translate a string but it would pop right back up like 10 more times on every page, as if it failed to register the translation already submitted. I think this was happening to me with some geographical names such as "Catalonia" and "Southern Georgia" (is the latter a country at all?).

It happens then your suggestion and google translate suggestion is same. As workaround i simply write bad word eg. there is string "chess", google translate translated it "šachmatai", it's right so i have to use same word, but chess.com prevents that so i use "chess - this is chess.com bug wtf why i should pay you for such bad site?" and then suggestion is recorder and you can confirm right word.

I reported that bug, answer from staff:

I'll forward this to our translation team so that they can take a closer look and get it fixed. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Also i proposed feature "edit google translate suggestion", imho hundreds of people before me reported same bugs, requested same features...(translation possibility exists 3 years) and nothing changes... also there is possibility to download translation. if chess.com want to look to similar translation way: wordpress.com - best example, you can download translation, there is translators hierarchy(vote system is stupid) there is one "validator" with full rights and all others just make suggestions and validator has to approve/reject those suggestions. also  there is plural forms.

chinku007

I will help to translate in telugu language (indian)... have not found any india room hereCry

balcarce

Hey guys!

I pressed the "Translate into spanish" button just to check it out and now my whole screen is in spanish! Any way I can change it back to engligh?? Thanks!

Ichselber

just klick on the bottom of the page on "english"

msiipola

You can also change the language in your preferences menu.

msiipola

I have also given up translations, because the primitive tool. The idea of showing the page, and mark the word/phrase which shall be translated, is very good.

But there are others serious faults.

It MUST be possible to translate plurals and verbs correct. If not, the translation is not acceptable.

And the voting system is bad. You must have translators, knowing how to write their own language grammatically correct.

DrFrank124c

I heard that there is a pidgeon in Chinatown who can play tic-tac-toe. If so, maybe there are pidgeons that play chess. If that is true, you need someone to translate this site into Pidgeon English.

TheDodoBird
frank124c wrote:

I heard that there is a pidgeon in Chinatown who can play tic-tac-toe. If so, maybe there are pidgeons that play chess. If that is true, you need someone to translate this site into Pidgeon English.

Hahaha Laughing

DrFrank124c
TheDodoBird wrote:
frank124c wrote:

Hahaha 

im so clever!

Fero321

I would like to help with Slovak translate, because its really horrible :D

stanhope13

Try www.chesstempo.com they do other languages.

This forum topic has been locked