Sort:
Tactical_Battle

Marathi....ready 2 traslate. ...:)

tisti

I could do Spanish and Italian and maybe some French

maxwellsmarty

i speak perfect Hungarian...i have been living in Toronto 23 years now

andre_fratelli

I was translating this into portuguese, but I would like to ask the admins a few questions first:

1. "Click on the "Save" button above to start using iGoogle Chess!" how was the "Save" word translated in the button itself? There are two options, either "Salvar" or "Guardar", which pretty much mean the same thing ("Salvar" is more common in brazilian portuguese, while "Guardar" is used in Portugal - note that both are legal in both countries - I'm not sure about the PALOP).
  2. The portuguese language has two different translations for the word "you". It can be translated as either "tu" or "você". The former is informal, you usually use it with friends, people of the same age, familly, or some one you are confortable with. The later is used with people older than you or in business relations, and is usually a more respectfull form of approach. Also, "tu" is not used in Brazil, they have only one form which is widely used: "você". Which one would you prefer?
  3. "To start playing you need to save your gadget settings" by gadget, you mean the device? Like a smartphone?
  4. The translation I propose is for pt_PT (portuguese from Portugal). I could also translate to pt_BR (Brazil) but I'm not native. How do you expect to deal with regional preferences?

Given the answers to this I'll make the translation =)

Necromancer10

I can help with hungarian and romanian.

xcfcs123

guess i am the only one from china. play on this site..

stangajoseph

um, is English the native language of chess.com? if so, i'd encourage use of the Oxford Comma.

ilikecapablanca

I'm learning Swedish (or Svenska), but nothing chess related. Frown

proisas

Lithuania language so --in lithuania is more player..Please be relevant, helpful & nice!

proisas
[COMMENT DELETED]
albatrosinus

Well... in french there are many problems.

Let's take for example the page for beginners.

The origins of chess are not exactly clear, though most believe it evolved from earlier chess-like games played in India almost two thousand years ago.The game of chess we know today has been around since the 15th century where it became popular in Europe.

First paragraph in French (with corrections) : 

Les origines du jeu d’échecs ne sont pas tout à fait claires (added an s), mais la plupart croient qu’il a évolué à partir de jeux similaires aux échecs (seems better) joués en Inde près de deux mille ans. Le jeu d’échecs que nous connaissons aujourd’hui existe depuis le 15ème siècle, où il est devenu populaire en Europe.

Second paragraph :

Chess is a game played between two opponents on opposite sides of a board containing 64 squares of alternating colors. Each player has 16 pieces: 1 king, 1 queen, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights, and 8 pawns. The goal of the game is to checkmate the other king. Checkmate happens when the king is in a position to be captured (in check) and cannot escape from capture.

Les échecs, c’est un jeu qui se joue entre deux adversaires sur les côtés opposés d’un échiquier (french word for chessboard / "plateau" is the generic term) contenant 64 cases de couleurs alternées. Chaque joueur (there was a typo) dispose de 16 pièces : 1 roi, 1 dame (this term is more often used), 2 tours, 2 fous, 2 cavalier et 8 pions. Le but du jeu est de mater le roi de l’autre. L’échec et mat survient quand le roi est dans une position dans laquelle il peut être capturé (better) (en échec) et qu’il ne peut échapper à la capture (the former one only considered moving king to avoid check)

Third paragraph :

At the beginning of the game the chessboard is laid out so that each player has the white (or light) color square in the bottom right-hand side. The chess pieces are then arranged the same way each time. The second row (or rank) is filled with pawns. The rooks go in the corners, then the knights next to them, followed by the bishops, and finally the queen, who always goes on her own matching color (white queen on white, black queen on black), and the king on the remaining square.

The player with the white pieces always moves first. Therefore, players generally decide who will get to be white by chance or luck such as flipping a coin or having one player guess the color of the hidden pawn in the other player's hand. White then makes a move, followed by black, then white again, then black and so on until the end of the game.

Translation :

Au début de la partie (En début de partie is rather used for in the opening), l’échiquier est disposé de telle sorte que chaque joueur une case de couleur blanche (ou claire) en bas, à droite de l’échiquier. Les pièces d’échecs sont alors disposés de la même façon à chaque fois. La deuxième ligne (ou rang) est rempli de pions. Les tours sont dans les coins, ensuite les cavaliers à côté d'elles, ensuite les fous. Finalement la dame va sur la case de sa propre couleur ( la dame blanche sur la case blanche et la dame noire sur la case noire ). Le roi va sur la case restante a coté de la reine.

Le joueur ayant les pièces blanches se déplace toujours en premier. Par conséquent, les joueurs en général décident qui jouera les blancs par hasard, comme à pile ou face ou encore lorsqu'un joueur devine la couleur du pion caché dans la main de l'autre joueur. Les blancs jouent alors un coup, suivis par les noirs, puis à nouveau les blancs, puis les noirs, et ainsi de suite jusqu’à la fin de la partie.

only the beginning of the text.

for example, draw is translated by "dessin" (draw with a pencil) in place of "partie nulle"

kingside castling and queenside castling are translating directly

But we have the word "grand roque" (big castling = queenside) and "petit roque" (little castling = kingside).

SOUROVB

Hello erik,

If there is any need for a English to Bengali translator any time in future, I am ready to devote my time.

Regards,

SOUROV

ilikecapablanca

Sorry, I didn't see the note. I'm training on Rosseta Stone, but I'm not native by any means. (Well, my grandma is half- Scandinavian, but...)

SummitChessClub

where is the forum

vanecane

If you enjoy chess and art visit Vanesa Canevsky Fotografía:

DaniusBarna

I just submitted the form in case you ever need help with Spanish translations. :)

granitoman
[COMMENT DELETED]
thomasglass
[COMMENT DELETED]
Drawbella

I can translate to Norwegian if you need :D

VeganMeatball

are there any native Klingon speakers here?

This forum topic has been locked